JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't know for sure, but the most likely reason why we would be hearing rumors about how much teams are offering Watt right now would be leaks from his camp/agent trying to leverage an offer from a team he doesn't want to play for to get more money from a team that he does want to play for.

For instance, I could imagine the Raiders offering him 16M annually, him having no interest in playing for them, but wanting to use the offer to get a team like the Packers or the Bills to come up a little bit on a current figure they have out to him.
Not that it means much... but Watt has reportedly said that neither he nor his agents have talked to anybody except teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would like the Packers to bring back Jones for next season as well but even at $8 million that seems to be too much in my opinion.

Especially after drafting Dillon last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like the Packers to bring back Jones for next season as well but even at $8 million that seems to be too much in my opinion.

Especially after drafting Dillon last year.

Remember, we are set to lose both Jones and Williams. In a normal year, $8M would be a bargain for Aaron Jones IMO. Howver, its not a normal year and thus it is more of a question of "what can the Packers afford" as well as "who do they have to take his spot?". While I think Dillon is a comparable replacement for Williams, I don't think he even comes close to replacing what Aaron Jones gave the offense. Eventually he might, but to rely on it? Jones has averaged a little over 1500 yards from scrimmage the last 2 years, that isn't going to be easy to replace.

If cap wasn't a concern, few would blink at paying Jones $8M. Question is, where do you weaken the rest of the team and/or mortgage the future to do so?

D

Deleted member 6794

Remember, we are set to lose both Jones and Williams. In a normal year, $8M would be a bargain for Aaron Jones IMO. Howver, its not a normal year and thus it is more of a question of "what can the Packers afford" as well as "who do they have to take his spot?". While I think Dillon is a comparable replacement for Williams, I don't think he even comes close to replacing what Aaron Jones gave the offense. Eventually he might, but to rely on it? Jones has averaged a little over 1500 yards from scrimmage the last 2 years, that isn't going to be easy to replace.

If cap wasn't a concern, few would blink at paying Jones $8M. Question is, where do you weaken the rest of the team and/or mortgage the future to do so?

While it will definitely not be easy to replace the production of Jones I don't consider paying a running back $8 million a smart way to handle the cap, especially after using a second round pick on his successor in Dillon last year.

If the Packers end up letting both Jones and Williams walk away in free agency there's no doubt they need to address the position in some way.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They drafted Dexter Williams in 2019 and Dillon in 2020. They have been preparing for this day. Dexter needs to get better..but hoping they can keep either Jones or Williams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They drafted Dexter Williams in 2019 and Dillon in 2020. They have been preparing for this day. Dexter needs to get better..but hoping they can keep either Jones or Williams.

Dexter who? :eek:

If the Packers plans include Dexter Williams as 1 of the 3 RB's that see snaps, I would be very disappointed.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here..not expecting much from him..but maybe he will finally get it. Dillon would be the starter, so maybe a limited role for him? Still hopeful the can keep Jones though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would love to see them sign Duke Johnson and then draft someone in the middle rounds.

Johnson is a really good receiver, and prior to 2020 he was a good piece of a rushing attack on a limited basis. There's no reason to think he's over the hill given his age and previous workload.

Plus he was a roster cut, so no comp pick impact if you sign him.

Dillon
Johnson
Rookie

That could be a very capable backfield.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I believe we can put this one to bed

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years $31m

Which was too rich for us right now, Id rather see us shore up CB and OT so that we can have some flexibility in the draft for some real BVA picks. Lest we wind up reaching for marginal JAG types in the first couple of rounds.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if the old TT and now Gute approach of showing interest in FAs far more often than signing them, an approach like a fish nibbling the bait but not biting, was and is performed to help cause other teams overspend on players.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about the money or the money isn't the most important thing always makes me laugh.

D

Deleted member 6794

And as for Watt...But I am right, I may know something you don't about the situation. Watt very much so has the Packers as his first choice. They're just waiting for the money stuff to get figured out a bit more

It seems you weren't right about Watt after all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if the old TT and now Gute approach of showing interest in FAs far more often than signing them, an approach like a fish nibbling the bait but not biting, was and is performed to help cause other teams overspend on players.

TO be fair I am not sure any of the sources linking the Packers were interested were more than folks drawing conclusions since Watt grew up in Wisconsin and of course loved Green Bay.....I mean in all honesty, not a single team out there wouldn't be "interested" in Watt if they can afford him

It seems you weren't right about Watt after all.

To be fair, Watt may have very well been wanting to be a Packer more than anything...but you dangle that insane amount of money can change a tune rather quickly I'd imagine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well that ends that, and it's always about the money. Good for him, but I'm glad we weren't the team paying it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much for him.

And so much for him putting a big emphasis on winning, lol.

Lol.

So much for him wanting to win. What a bag of hot air.

I have a hard time really understanding these statements like the Cards are bottom feeders. They have an up and coming team if you think Murray is the real deal

I have a hard time believing we couldn't match that.

Really? How do you have a hard time with that?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol.

So much for him wanting to win. What a bag of hot air.

"Wanting to win" is not the same as "willing to sacrifice millions per year". I guarantee the Cardinals will win more games next year than the Texans, so he will win more games now.

I never understand the fans talking about other guy's money. You want to point fingers about money? Point them at the owners.