1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt is on pace to be the best defensive player ever

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, Oct 10, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I stand by that statement. I know its a strong one, but this guy is unreal.

Taylor Reggie Deacon and Ray all have an argument for the throne, but JJ does everything at a high level and if he continues he will go down as the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    It was kind of unfair to deacon jones since they didnt track sacks as a stat then. I remember watching a show about him and some old QB said that deacon jones sacked him 7 times in one game. That man was a beast that gets no love.

3. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    JJ is just flat out an amazing athlete. I totally agree.

I can't stand LeBron but I think JJ Watt is a freak on the same level as LBJ.

I agree he could be "considered" the best ever when it's all said and done.

4. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Hmm? a little Wisconsin bias maybe? nah, the guy is amazing and he's definitely the best defender in the NFL..howeva (Stephen A Smith voice) i don't think anyone will surplant Lawrence Taylor..that's just my opinion tho. Watt is amazing but can he drop back into coverage as an olb? could he even be dominant as an OLB?..he probably could but until i see it? it would be hard to give him that title even if he stayed healthy. Now best Defensive linemen ever if he stays healthy? That's another story altho Bruce Smith would probably have something to say about that.

5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IMO Reggie White is the best defensive player ever and Watt has a very long way to go to match Reggie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Check out this article http://bloguin.com/thisgivensunday/2012-articles/did-j-j-watt-have-the-best-season-ever.html

1. You have Bruce Smith ahead of Reggie White? Not sure if Smith himself would even agree with that.
    2. Lawrence Taylor was great at 1 thing, rushing the passer. He was excellent at it. He was good to mediocre at the rest of his assignments (imo and I have seen several others say the same). JJ Watt is such a complete player, he does things that are not known to be done at his position on a regular basis. This article on his 2012 season (which might be his worst of these 3 seasons) hits the nail on the head

"White tallied a whopping 57 sacks in three seasons with Phillips as coordinator, including an eye-popping 21 in 12 games during the strike-shortened season of 1987.
    How does Watt's 2013 season stack up against White's 1987?

On pass rushing alone, White has the edge. Watt totaled 20.5 sacks over a full 16-game season. Expand it to overall impact, though, and Watt was the more disruptive force.
    Watt obliterated the unofficial NFL records for batted passes (16) and defeats (56) -- 11 more than the previous record held by Ray Lewis in 1999. Pro Football Focus credited Watt with 72 total stops -- 18 more than the next-closest lineman. According to Advanced NFL Stats, Watt's 39 tackles for loss were 21 more than second-place Geno Atkins' 18.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...atts-historic-2012-season-for-texans-examined

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    Would you think that even if Reggie wasn't a Packer?

8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,801
    And he catches touch down passes for the offense so why not?

9. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    YES! I didn't see him when he played in the USFL but I certainly did when he played for the Eagles. IMO he hit his peak with the Eagles.

10. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    If JJ doesn't get the DPOY it'll remind me of 2010 when it was stolen from Matthews & given to Polimalu as he missed at least 2 games that year. Imo they went off past years as well not that year alone as they should have

11. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    The Deacon will always be the best. How many players invent a stat.

12. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Then again, how do you judge people when they played in different eras. Each one was dominant in their era. So many things change in football it's impossible to compare over 50 years of the game. I will say that if he can keep this up another 7 years, he will likely be the dominant D player of his era, and a first round HOF.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    He didn't invent the stat as they didn't keep track of it until well after his career was finished. He is credited with coining the term.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Judge them on how dominate they were in their generation.

15. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Ok, your right. The NFL started keeping track of 0 yards in 1961. They called it "Dumping the passer". Deacon Coined the term "Sack" and in 1982 the NFL started keeping track of who the player was the got the "Sack". So having said that, how many stats are there that were "Coined" by a player and are an Iconic term in our gamespeak?

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Let me get this straight, you think a player is the best ever on his side of the ball because he had a burst of creativity off the field?

You must also think EXTREMELY high of Elmo Wright then (go ahead google it).

Deacon is on the short list with his 2 dpoy awards. But to say no one will ever be better? pfff, records are made to be broken, and players are always getting topped in best of lists.

17. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Again, you cannot judge players across era's. The game changes too fast. Deacon was dominant in the 60's. Joe Green in the 70's, Lawrence Taylor in the 80's, Reggie White and Bruce Smith in the 90's, Peppers in the 0's. Watt is a freak and is a game changer but he still has to stand the test of time, it's early in his carer. Peppers would have been the same type of player if he had played OLB in a 3-4 in his prime.

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Maybe you cant, but people do all time time. They sell books and do tv specials on it all the time. What do you think the NFL 75th anniversary team is? Thats comparing players across different eras.

If you dont want to compare players across eras because you dont think you can, thats fine, but other people will continue to. People love best of lists and its always a great bar topic of discussion.

19. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Until the next best comes along. Not disagreeing about his talent and potential for greatness. The guy is a beast with a motor that doesn't stop. Helps to have a 20 foot wing span:D