official Jimmy Graham signed

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Whether it Graham or another guy, I think it is pretty clear that the Packers offense functions better with a weapon at TE. Rodgers and Kendricks, although both are decent TE's, I don't see either as being a true weapon.

So IMO, I don't really care who it is, the Packers need to find a #1 TE, a guy with some speed, height and can catch almost anything thrown at him. The Packers aren't a running team by nature, so while its nice to have a TE that can block, I will trade that skill for a TE that is a damn good receiver.

I would put TE as the Packers #1 need on offense right now.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a tough year for TEs because there’s a small crop but I’d be game on a modest $10-12M range 2yr deal.

Supply and demand dictates most of this stuff and we could be outbid pretty easy looking at what’s available.

I think there should be a nice crop of TEs available rounds 3-4 if we decide to forego FA.
Ryan Izzo?

Izzo...in the 3rd-4th?

Yuck.

Reaction score
There's gonna be a once in a decade olinemen available, Quentin nelson likely will be there at 14. He's a day one starter and barring injuries would likely remain so for a decade. We know TT would never take him but will the new gm? Maybe I wouldn't unless Arden key and Bradley chubb are off the board which could easily be the case
While I'd initially lean towards Defense if all things were considered. I also have considered that possibility of OL. We already know that OL is an injury prone position. We also know we currently have 20,000,000+ reasons to protect our QB. I don't know enough about him other than surface stuff but if checks out as the best lineman in several drafts you have to take that seriously. I would be more excited if he was a once in generation OT because those guys are very valuable.
Much of this will come down to moves we make in FA and it's difficult to ascertain what positions will be our priority come draft day. Most of us are just throwing mud at the wall we have no idea what this new group is about to do

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I haven't seen Nelson get out of the first 10 picks on any Mock. That doesn't mean he won't be available though. Personally, I would rather see them go after a position of greater need than OL with a #14 pick and if they did go after an o'lineman, it better be a right tackle to replace the often injured Bulaga.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather see them go after a position of greater need than OL with a #14 pick and if they did go after an o'lineman, it better be a right tackle to replace the often injured Bulaga.
I'd really be disappointed if, after all these years of 25+ draft slot, we finally get a top 15 and they pick a friggin RT or OG instead of a top flight skill player or pass rusher / defender.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too late this year, unless they cut him. Too bad too we could have used his
54 receptions
688 yards
12.7 ave/catch
2 TD's

Cook signed a 2 year $10.6 million deal last year.

But I won't pretend in knowing Cook would have been the better TE to retain. I was excited when the Pack signed MB and LK.

I think the Raiders will cut Cook, and go after Jimmy Graham this off-season. I personally think GB should go after Trey Burton from the Eagles. Ertz isn't going anywhere and Burton was highly productive when filling in for Ertz. Burton is 27, with experience. He's about to gain playoff experience, and is just a solid football player. It would be nice for GB to have a reliable and productive player at TE.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the raiders cut cook the Packers might as well sign him although I'd rather have Jimmy Graham even for a couple million more

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether it Graham or another guy, I think it is pretty clear that the Packers offense functions better with a weapon at TE. Rodgers and Kendricks, although both are decent TE's, I don't see either as being a true weapon.

So IMO, I don't really care who it is, the Packers need to find a #1 TE, a guy with some speed, height and can catch almost anything thrown at him. The Packers aren't a running team by nature, so while its nice to have a TE that can block, I will trade that skill for a TE that is a damn good receiver.

I would put TE as the Packers #1 need on offense right now.

I don't think there's anyone available the Packers could get through the draft, trade, or free agency that fits the bill of weapon for Rodgers better than graham. There's some nice possession tight ends available in the draft like fumagali and a guy like him is a different kind of weapon which you'd like to have too but yeah hopefully they go get graham. If they do indeed pry John scheinder from Seattle hopefully by arguing he's interviewing for a promotion, I think Graham will follow

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have the Packers use their funds to go after a pass rusher. If the Lions don't sign Ziggy Ansah, he would be a better use of the cap space.
This is a player I would like the Packers to look at. Unfortunately with a few people to resign and an extension for Rodgers looming I don't anticipate this move.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand this signing at all.

He's a jump-ball move TE who can't block and is slow out of the gates. He only makes sense in a NO-style spread scheme. Not a balanced scheme.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most fans believe he's still Jimmy Graham from New Orleans...he's not. He's still a decent receiver but he's certainly not the elite option he once was. He has slowed down significantly, is still scared of contact, and still can't block.

Also, and more importantly, the offense isn't the side of the ball that needs help!!!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, welcome to Green Bay maybe? He's a big improvement over anyone we currently have, but given our cap situation, I'd like to see what money we can spare dumped into our defense. *shrug* Can't be a bigger flub that Marty B was.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand this signing at all.

He's a jump-ball move TE who can't block and is slow out of the gates. He only makes sense in a NO-style spread scheme. Not a balanced scheme.

Slow out of the gates ? I get it was a long time ago but he ran a 1.58 10 yard split that's fast for 6-1 211 pound receiver let alone a 6-6 260 pound tight end

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE can play longer than wide outs, typically, but I'm skeptical that he's got a lot left. Offense wasn't the problem over the last five years. Defending the pass was the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts