Jim Bates

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats a step down if I ever heard it.

Bet he is regretting the 'mutual separation' right about now. I say this because I wanted Bates to go on and do great things...being Bills DC is not in that category.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a shame Bates didn't stay here. I think he "shot himself in the foot" so to speak. If he left for an HC job that would be understandable. But leaving Miami and then GB because he didn't get the HC job doesn't help how executives of other teams view him, right or wrong. If he stayed in GB and had another good year, which should have been likely as I'm sure the Pack will upgrade the personell on defense, he would have strengthened his credentials with consistency, stability and loyalty.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Bet he is regretting the 'mutual separation' right about now. I say this because I wanted Bates to go on and do great things...being Bills DC is not in that category.

agreed...like become hc of the packers...OK, sour grapes, I'll stop now, but as you said, he's proved he's a darn good coach and deserves to move up in the league in spite of his age.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he coulda stayed here and improved that top 10 defense he created, and maybe brought it to top 5, and again showed he is a great defensive mind.

But now he (rumors) will have to start all over again with the ragtag bills defense.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I would not have minded seeing Bates as HC, I think he deserves a shot, he is an excellant coach. But as I mentioned he may have hurt himself a little bit.

The age thing I think is rediculious. He's what, 58,59, if he is a head coach til 66 like I believe Vermiel is that's 7-8 years much more than most coaches in the league last. Also with his energy he may be going strong at 70.

Reaction score
Actually, the Bills got a whole lot better. The Bills player personelle is VERY TALENTED. they have two shutdown corners, two aging, yet experienced safties, GREAT LB's, and a solid D-line. They however love to blitz, but Bates D will really have players who are talented this time around. The Bills are however only one mammoth DT (Grady?) away from contending again.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said that he might end up in Buffalo but I thought that he would be the HC. **** Jauron was picked becase he has shown that he will be a loyal yes man no matter what and it looks like that is what Marv Levy wanted.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he shot himself in the foot. He wanted out, not only to pursue a head coaching job, but also because it would have been difficult for him to work for MM after he thought he had the job and he obviously felt disrespected by TT. Note: to the TT protectionist...I am not saying he was disrespected...I am saying Bates felt that way! I think he would have left GB even if he knew the Buffalo DC position was the best that he can do.

Besides....it's Jauron.....there will probably be an opening there soon.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I don't think he shot himself in the foot. He wanted out, not only to pursue a head coaching job, but also because it would have been difficult for him to work for MM after he thought he had the job and he obviously felt disrespected by TT. Note: to the TT protectionist...I am not saying he was disrespected...I am saying Bates felt that way! I think he would have left GB even if he knew the Buffalo DC position was the best that he can do.

Besides....it's Jauron.....there will probably be an opening there soon.

The last line in your statement says it all :lol: As i stated before... at least Jim Bates left with his head up and Balls attached. Not many DCs would pass up a 250,000 dollar raise to go into a already filling coaching pool. TT must have thought he had McCarthy and Bates in the bag...one Jim Bates proved him wrong. :twisted: Good Luck Jim Bates.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes DePack..you stole my thunder...

I was going to say...

Perhaps it was the "Mighty TT"...or "Ted the Untouchable"...who offended or unsulted Bates in some way in his handling of him...as has been suggested widely in the media...??

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do belive he will be in bufflo hate to see it but i'm thinking it's because he sees a chance in being h.c. there after this year,**** just does not have what it takes to be a head coach

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you know..Gakk?

Just eat your lutefisk and potetsuppe with glog, worship Thor, Odin, Njord, and Frey...and follow your own fotbol (..uh..i mean soccer) if you are going to say.."We"..unless you've got a mouse in your pocket....!!!

Last time I checked your name wasn't on the official Green Bay Packers organization chart..!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted before he quit that I thought he would stay. He would be better off getting past not getting the HC job, staying, and, continue improving the Pack's defense than making a lateral move. Can't say he won't ever get a shot but it looks less likely at this point. His confidence that he would get a HC job somewhere has put himself in a bad spot.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
he coulda stayed here and improved that top 10 defense he created, and maybe brought it to top 5, and again showed he is a great defensive mind.

But now he (rumors) will have to start all over again with the ragtag bills defense.

I wonder what people said about him coming to the Packers near last placed defense last year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its still a bad move.

Hes not moving forward, hes not moving backwards. he is moving to yet another first year DC job.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
c'mon Tromadz...

You're really just "pissed" because Bates had jilted "your sweety" TT at the alter and told him to "shove it"....

You can share it with the group here....no one will judge you....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry Favre66, like I said:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, 66.......here you are making big gay fun of tromadz, and yet, you are the one who is constantly bringing up "man ***"....usually in the form of commenting on the former coach.

Projection, perhaps? LOL

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line is that our Team is young, coaches included and Bates could see the writing on the wall once he was not selected as the HC. Now he's the spry teenager with the Bills, considering their owner is 87 and their GM, Levy, is 80. He now will have security.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Bottom line is that our Team is young, coaches included and Bates could see the writing on the wall once he was not selected as the HC. Now he's the spry teenager with the Bills, considering their owner is 87 and their GM, Levy, is 80. He now will have security.

Bates is not the DC in Buf. Jerry Gray is.

Source

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bates took a bit of a gamble in going for the HC position at Green Bay. He knew that if he interviewed and still didn't get the job he would probably have to move on to another team just for the sake of pride, and he may have even hinted as much to Thompson. Thompson, meanwhile, wanted to have it both ways, with a head coach of his choosing and Bates staying around to run the defense. If Bates had stayed on as DC after McCarthy's hiring, he would've felt like he was taken advantage of. And he probably would've been right.

I hope he does well in Buffalo. They have a lot of talent to work with.

Members online

Latest posts