jim Bates

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to pat him like a head coach. Make him the highest paid coordinator in the leauge to try and ensure that he stays with us. He has shown how invaluable a great coach is.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
After my first season was completed (about an hour ago) I fired Sherman, promoted Bates to HC, hired sherman as OC, brought in G. Haskel for ST and I forget who my DC is, I think its B. Billick. The Ravens HC who is known for his offense lol

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool--Another DePere, resident--PWT36 says what you posted is probably not going to happen. Unless Ted Thompson thinks he cannot work with Mike Sherman. He is not going to make a hasty decision on Firing Mike Sherman because of this one losing year (first in 13 years.) Mike Sherman five year career record is 52-27, which puts him up there with Mike Holmgren, Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi as the fourth winning est coach in Packer history and one of the best first five year coaching winning records in NFL since 1970. puts him up there with Chuck Knox, Joe Gibbs and Chuck Siefert. However saying that, Mike Sherman was not hired by Ted Thompson and most GMs want their own man. Thus I guess I am hedging on my statement of Thompson retaining Sherman , I guess I would not be shocked if it did happen but I lean toward it not happening. It could put the franchise in confusion with a new head Caoch- most likely a new offense and new defense cordinators . Thompson may not want to hire Bates as Head Coach of the Packers and go with a younger man. A new head coach does not necessarily mean a improvement in the Packer team. This is a big decision by the Packer GM Ted Thompson. We can only hope it is the right one. There was a very good commentary in Sunday's (December 18.2005) Green Bay Press- Gazette by Mike Vandermause entitled "Sherman deserves to return" Regardless what the Sherman "naysayers" say there is alway two sides to the story.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a solid Defensive Coordinator -- that is why Mike Sherman recruited him to Green Bay.

I am not sure he would be a great Head Coach. IF the Packers fire Sherman, they should conduct a complete search and recruiting before settling on such a big decision.

I know many try to credit Thompson with Bates hire -- but the fact is it was Sherman and Thompson even says so. The same is true of drafting Collins -- he was a Sherman pick, Thompson liked a couple of other guys, but ceded the pick to Mike who had personally scouted Nick Collins predraft.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So..let me get this straight..PWT...

Are you saying that Mike Sherman belongs in the HOF?

(Now that's a fargin' laugher..that is...!!)

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...throughout the NFL would put Mike Sherman in with THAT COMPANY! (I don't care what you're statistics say...He's nowhere NEAR that good of a coach!)

and Musscy..let's hear your "subjective opinion" as to why you wouldn't want Bates as HC of the GB Packers...

is it because you have so much emotional attachment to SherRossley?

(and Bruce..I will NEVER believe that it was Sherman's idea to bring Bates in to GB...Hell...when Bates was hired..Shermy was still arguing for keeping Bob Slowick...or don't you remember that?)

I'm sure TT and Harlan are just saying that to save face for Sherman...(if they said it at all..a few quotes backing it up would be nice!)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66 I'm sure Bruce will honor your request. I have heard ad nauseum from TT that Bates was Sherman's choice but I feel no need to satisfy your request (mainly because I'm lazy). Besides....your statement "I will NEVER believe that it was Sherman's idea to bring Bates in to GB..." says it all. Why should Bruce waste his time looking it up after that statement. You really don't want to see proof...do you? Your flexibility and ability to be rational when it comes to Sherman went out the window a long time ago.

Once again I'll ask this question. If TT fires Sherman, then why shouldn't TT be fired for throwing 6.4 million dollars out the window just 3 months ago? His first major decision after getting the GM job was to evaluate Sherman. If he screwed that up so bad, why should we trust him to evaluate player talent and the hiring of Sherman's replacement.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DePack...

You didn't answer my question...

Do you think that Mike Sherman belongs in the pro-football Hall of Fame?

(and yes..if Bruce can prove to me sufficiently that Bates was Sherman's choice..I will accept it...)

-though I would find it extremely hard to believe! I mean..why would he (all of a sudden) start selecting quality assistant coaches?

(maybe since Bates didn't coach with him at Holy Cross..he had a good chance of getting one right after 5 years!)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he doesn't. You never asked me that question. His career, unfortunately for you, is not over yet. I believe PWT was comparing Sherm's stats to the other guys FIRST 5 SEASONS.

Now if you would be so kind.....go back to my post and answer my direct question to you about TT.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
So..let me get this straight..PWT...

(and Bruce..I will NEVER believe that it was Sherman's idea to bring Bates in to GB...Hell...when Bates was hired..Shermy was still arguing for keeping Bob Slowick...or don't you remember that?)

I'm sure TT and Harlan are just saying that to save face for Sherman...(if they said it at all..a few quotes backing it up would be nice!)

66:

From Thompson’s first news conference:

Thompson expects to be involved in every facet of the football operation, including the draft, the salary cap, free agency and roster decisions. He said he would allow Sherman to make all the decisions regarding his assistant coaching staff.

â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As you can guess..I wasn't thrilled when TT renewed Sherman's contract...(it certainly wasn't warrented..), but perhaps TT knew something about Favre's future being tied to Sherman's...

i don't know...

But I will tell you this...I am definitely on the fence about TT...

(I'm not happy that he didn't sign much veteran help this year...)

and if it continues to be a trend and he goes after nothing but rookies, then I am convinced he is only interested in rebuilding and not trying to win now..while Favre is still around...

For example...I think he should definitely go after Molds (from Buffalo) next year..or another veteran type receiver of that quality....

(and DePack..YOU have to admit..when people trot out the party line and statistics about HIS record..they are making COMPARISONS to these HOF coaches...so I think my question about Sherman is applicable...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
WHOAA DePack..

I just re-read your post...

Do you think then, if Shermy's career is long enough....(like if the Pack give him 5-10 more years...), it's a possibility that Mike Sherman can make it to Canton?

Man..I'm willing to take odds and lay $$$ on that one!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66:

Some folks in the NFL think Mike Sherman is a very good coach.

For example Dan Reeves said back in August that Mike Sherman is one of the best head coaches in the NFL.

If Mike is not in GB next season I think the Houston job is his for the asking. You put Dan Reeves' (who was just hired as a consultant by the Texans) comments together with those of the owner of the Texans (a huge Texas A&M supporter) saying he thought the job Mike Sherman did for the Aggies as an assistant coach was one of the best he had ever witnessed.

Mike Sherman may be a convienent scape goat for disgruntled fans, but it does not change the fact that he is veiwed as a good coach in most NFL circles.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He may be a decent college coach, Bruce...(i'd have to check into this..)

But from what I've seen...he can't hack it in the NFL...(especially in the playoffs..)

(i'm not too impressed with Dan Reeves either...he reminds me of Sherman...can't win the big game...)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No 66, I won't put him in the hall. That is a privilege that must be earned. It usually takes a couple of Super Bowl victories on your resume'. So, as of now no I can't say he will get into the hall but then again you probably could only say that about a few coaches after 5 seasons.

BTW...thanks for your answer about TT. I pretty much feel the same way, but if he did in fact jump the gun on Sherman and now thinks it was a mistake, he should be fired.....no questions asked.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Zero2Cool--Another DePere, resident--PWT36 says what you posted is probably not going to happen. Unless Ted Thompson thinks he cannot work with Mike Sherman. He is not going to make a hasty decision on Firing Mike Sherman because of this one losing year (first in 13 years.) Mike Sherman five year career record is 52-27, which puts him up there with Mike Holmgren, Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi as the fourth winning est coach in Packer history and one of the best first five year coaching winning records in NFL since 1970. puts him up there with Chuck Knox, Joe Gibbs and Chuck Siefert. However saying that, Mike Sherman was not hired by Ted Thompson and most GMs want their own man. Thus I guess I am hedging on my statement of Thompson retaining Sherman , I guess I would not be shocked if it did happen but I lean toward it not happening. It could put the franchise in confusion with a new head Caoch- most likely a new offense and new defense cordinators . Thompson may not want to hire Bates as Head Coach of the Packers and go with a younger man. A new head coach does not necessarily mean a improvement in the Packer team. This is a big decision by the Packer GM Ted Thompson. We can only hope it is the right one. There was a very good commentary in Sunday's (December 18.2005) Green Bay Press- Gazette by Mike Vandermause entitled "Sherman deserves to return" Regardless what the Sherman "naysayers" say there is alway two sides to the story.

You talk in third person on a forum? yikes

I said thats what I did in my video game that is called Madden 06. I apologize for any confusion.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
He may be a decent college coach, Bruce...(i'd have to check into this..)

But from what I've seen...he can't hack it in the NFL...(especially in the playoffs..)

(i'm not too impressed with Dan Reeves either...he reminds me of Sherman...can't win the big game...)

P@ck66:

This is one of the ways you get delusional in your thought process. Dan Reeves coaching record was 190 wins 165 losses and two ties in the regular season and 11 wins and 9 losses in the post season. He may never have won a Super Bowl but he took his Broncos there 3 times in 4 years. Later in his coaching career, when he took over a down and out Falcon team that had never advanced in the playoffs, he took Atlanta to the Super Bowl, where ironically they lost to his old team the Denver Broncos.

Oh, I can see why you’re not impressed and you think that your judgment about the Pro game is better than his – we will of course ignore the fact that Houston’s owner just paid him a king’s ransom to him to come consult to his organization, while you repeat the same “Sherman-sucksâ€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Delusional eh?

Reeves didn't do too well with the Giants now..did he?

Plus..he screwed up with Elway when he was with Denver....

(Oh..i will give you that he was a good football player...and a much better coach than Mike Sherman...)

But he's not the guy to take you all the way....

(Mike Sherman is a pale imitation of Reeves at best...)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts