Jim Bates resigns from Broncos

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the mighty have fallen. It just didn't work out for Bates in Denver. I think they pretty much scrapped his system halfway through the season, so the writing was already on the wall:

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bates resigns from Broncos staff

Denver Broncos defensive boss Jim Bates, who installed the Packers' current scheme in 2005, resigned today after the team limped to a 7-9 record in his first year on the job.

Bates’ departure was expected. The Broncos finished 19th in overall defense and 30th against the run.

"I had the opportunity to stay," Bates said in a written statement. "(Coach Mike Shanahan) has been very fair with me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside."

Bates, whose title was assistant coach-defense, had success with his system with the Packers and Miami Dolphins, but the Broncos were unable to master it.
Bates said he was "very saddened that things did not work out."

-- The Associated Press

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN.com says "broncos ax Bates"

Has bates ever been fired, or are they all mutual agreement relationship enders?

He's like the guy who says "You can't fire me! I quit!"

meh, whatever, I'm happy with McCarthy as HC and Sanders as DC.

4 more days, Seattle.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
You can't fire me I quit is that not what everyone says?
Not me.........one job i had, they called me into the office, shut the door, and said they needed someone to take the fall. They said "You can choose to quit, that will look better on your resume. We will let you work 2 weeks, then resign. Why don't you go home and talk it over with your wife before you decide?" I thought about 0.2 seconds and said "Fire me". He said, "Don't you want to think about it?" I said "Fire me." All they were trying to do was avoid paying me unemployment, cause if you quit, you can't collect. And they KNEW they didn't have a valid reason to fire me.
So i collected unemployment for 6 months, and went fishing every day! I had the BEST tan in my life! :lol:

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
You can't fire me I quit is that not what everyone says?
Not me.........one job i had, they called me into the office, shut the door, and said they needed someone to take the fall. They said "You can choose to quit, that will look better on your resume. We will let you work 2 weeks, then resign. Why don't you go home and talk it over with your wife before you decide?" I thought about 0.2 seconds and said "Fire me". He said, "Don't you want to think about it?" I said "Fire me." All they were trying to do was avoid paying me unemployment, cause if you quit, you can't collect. And they KNEW they didn't have a valid reason to fire me.
So i collected unemployment for 6 months, and went fishing every day! I had the BEST tan in my life! :lol:

I haven't had many jobs in the past, living in Wisconsin for 36 years I had a total of and this was starting at age 16, 4 jobs. First one at age 16 was working at Squires Country Club in Port Washington, the second one at age 17 was working 3 years at a cafe in Port Washington/Fredonia the owner had two cafes so I would switch back and forth working all shifts, then at age 18 I worked at Smith Bros. Resturant (12 years) in Port Washington as a Server/Head Trainer/Hostess whatever they needed me for, I worked many double shifts there made good money, from there I had my son and after a couple of years staying home with him and babysitting other kids, I opened my own Cleaning business which I had for over 12 years, then I moved to CA I have been living here and have had three jobs in an 8 year period, out here there are so many people, they dont cherish their good workers or give a crap about them. They figure they can get anyone off the street and start them out with minimum wage versus paying someone that has been with them for years just dont make sense to me. The first job I had in CA was in Property Management I worked there for 2 years when they fired our Management team so we all ended up with no job, then I went to Kohl's and was a POS Supervisor this was the worst job I had I worked my butt off didnt know from one week to the next what schedule I would be working til the next day so you couldnt plan anything, I hated it, then I moved to the job I have now which is Managing a Storage Facility, the job gets boring sometimes because I am used to running around doing physical things, this job if office work lots of sitting and doing paperwork. Anyways I have never been fired in my life, but as Cheesy said I learned it the hard way when you quit you dont get unemployment, I will always get fired from a job from now on so that I can collect unemployment after we pay into it why not be able to get it?

Members online

Latest posts