Jim Bates Hired By The Broncos As New D-Cordinator! NOOOO!!!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ex-Packers' coordinator hired to run Broncos' defenseBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Just one day after dismissing defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Wednesday night reached a contract agreement with longtime NFL assistant coach Jim Bates to run a unit that collapsed over the second half of the 2006 season.

Substantive negotiations between the two sides began on Wednesday afternoon and an accord was quickly struck. Details of Bates' contract were not yet available, but the deal almost certainly will make him one of the game's highest paid assistant coaches.

It is believed that Bates will receive the title of assistant head coach/defense and that Denver will promote current secondary coach Bob Slowik to defensive coordinator. Those titles aside, it will be Bates who will oversee the defensive side of the ball.

Bates, 61, is widely respected around the NFL. He sat out the 2006 season after reaching a settlement on his contract with the Green Bay Packers. He had interviewed for the Packers' head coach position after the 2005 season, but the job went to Mike McCarthy instead. Although there were discussions about retaining Bates for McCarthy's staff, the two men agreed that was not a good idea.

During his long professional career, Bates has been a defensive coordinator four times and he was interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2004, after Dave Wannstedt resigned, and compiled a 3-4 record. A number of Dolphins veterans have been lobbying for team officials to interview Bates for Miami's current opening, but he never became a candidate there.

In his year away from the game, Bates said several times he hoped to return to the league in 2007.

He began his professional coaching career in the USFL in 1984, and has served on NFL staffs at Cleveland (1991-93, 1995), Atlanta (1994), Dallas (1996-99), Miami (2000-2004) and Green Bay (2005). His son, Jeremy, is an offensive assistant on Shanahan's staff.

Coyer was dismissed on Tuesday after four seasons as coordinator.

Slowik, 52, has been on the Denver staff since 2005 and has also been a coordinator.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, Slowik?! Good luck with THAT...

Jim shoulda tried to get that Miami job. Im not saying he DIDNT try, but...I woulda liked to see him do HC work. I wish him luck. Now maybe we can move on and realize Sanders is our DC, will be our DC, and move on.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This is very confusing. If Jim wants a HC position so bad, why take this job with nearly a half dozen HC positions out there?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jim Bates Hired By The Broncos As New D-Cordinator! NOOO

This is very confusing. If Jim wants a HC position so bad, why take this job with nearly a half dozen HC positions out there?

Because he couldn't get an interview???

I'm not sure. I new the Dolphins were kind of interested in him but that's about it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:

Because he couldn't get an interview???

I'm not sure. I new the Dolphins were kind of interested in him but that's about it.

The only thing I can imagine is his agent tried contacting all coachless teams and there was zero interest so he took this position. Other than that, seems to be an odd decision.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the deal with Slowik. I thought the Defensive Coordinator oversaw the defense. If Jim Bates is in charge of the defense then how is Slowik going to be the coordinator? Sounds ripe for an annoying power struggle.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bates set to get on board
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/11/2007 12:37:38 AM MST

The Broncos took a quick, decisive step toward filling out their defensive coaching staff Wednesday.

It appears imminent Jim Bates will become the assistant head coach for defense and defensive backs coach Bob Slowik will be promoted to defensive coordinator, an NFL source confirmed.

Bates acknowledged he flew from his Green Bay, Wis., home for an interview. He had no further comment, referring all questions to the Broncos. Coach Mike Shanahan wasn't available for comment.

Bates was brought in a day after Shanahan fired Larry Coyer as defensive coordinator. Shanahan believes Bates has one of the better defensive minds in football.

Bates has been considered a candidate for the head coaching job at Miami. His name also has been linked to a possible head coaching opening in Dallas if Bill Parcells steps down.

Bates sat out the 2006 season by choice, turning down a few opportunities to coach in the NFL. This week, Bates said he is interested in coming back to the league. Bates was the defensive coordinator for Green Bay in 2005. He left the Packers after they hired Mike McCarthy as head coach. The Packers seriously considered hiring Bates as their coach but wanted an offensive mind to work with quarterback Brett Favre. Bates finished the 2004 season as Miami's interim coach. He had a chance to stay with the Dolphins, on Nick Saban's staff, but opted to join the Packers. Bates has been a coach for 37 years and has spent 14 years in the NFL.

Bates, 60, is known for using an aggressive, 4-3 defense that centers on fast linebackers. That would be a perfect fit in Denver, with Al Wilson, Ian Gold and D.J. Williams widely considered one of the league's fastest units. Bates also believes in a strong pass rush from the defensive ends and a collapsing attack from his defensive tackles. In Miami and Green Bay, several players made significant improvements while playing under Bates, who is known for his fiery and enthusiastic approach to coaching.

Adding to the appeal of the Denver job for Bates is his son, Jeremy, an offensive assistant with the Broncos. Another son, James, lives in Boulder.

Coyer was fired Tuesday after four seasons as Denver's defensive coordinator. The Broncos' defense started the season strong, not allowing a touchdown in the first 11 quarters. But the Broncos faltered, partly because of injuries, down the stretch of a 9-7 season and gave up second-half leads in all four of their home losses.

Defensive line/tackles coach Andre Patterson also was fired by the Broncos on Tuesday.

Footnotes

One name to watch if the Broncos add to their special-teams coaching staff: Pete Rod- riguez, fired by Jacksonville last week. Rodriguez is known as one of the better special-teams coaches in the NFL and Shana- han has long been an admirer. ... One potential landing spot for Patterson is Atlanta, with new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino. Coyer also is expected to attract some interest across the NFL. ... Broncos practice squad defensive tackle Amon Gordon is expected to be signed to a future contract.

Staff writer Mike Klis contributed to this report.

Bill Williamson can be reached at 303-954-1262 or [email protected].

Meet Jim Bates
NFL experience: 15 seasons

Most recently: Packers defensive coordinator in 2005

Also coached: Miami (was the interim head coach for seven games in 2004), Dallas, Cleveland and Atlanta.

Behind the numbers: Under Bates' five seasons as head of Miami's defense (2000-04), the Dolphins ranked a cumulative fifth-best in the NFL, and they never ranked lower than 10th in a season. ... Through 2002-03, Bates' Miami defense went 20 consecutive games without allowing a 100-yard rusher.

College: Played linebacker at the University of Tennessee (1964-67).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm happy for Bates, but disappointed that he will be working for a team I never stick up for. It must be noted that the continued lack of interest in Bates as a head coaching candidate, even by the Dolphins, shows that Ted Thompson is not a lunatic for failing to hire him. I'm not saying I understand WHY nobody has considered him for a head coaching job. That's just the way it is.

Members online

Latest posts