jersey al's draft needs

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Inside linebacker: Yes, Desmond Bishop and D.J. Smith should be back, but will there be lingering effects from the major injuries that ended their 2012 seasons early? The NFL seems to be cyclical. Just when we think a position group isn’t as valuable as it used to be, it makes a little bit of a comeback. With the rise of spread offenses and passing attacks, inside linebackers don’t seem as important as they once were. But then you don’t have one and you realize how valuable they can be. It’d be nice to have a linebacker on the inside that can ocassaionaly cover a tight, move well enough to deal with quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick, and be a solid tackler. Another good inside linebacker would allow Thompson to cut A.J. Hawk and use Brad Jones as a versatile backup and situational player, perhaps at all four linebacker spots.
  2. Defensive Line: The Packers starting defensive lineman are big and slow. I’d like another guy like Mike Neal. Jerel Worthy was supposed to be that guy, but who knows how his knee injury will impact him next season. B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett and C.J. Wilson are good for plugging holes, but they seem to have problems actually making plays when the hole is plugged. More athleticism should help the defensive line put a little pressure on quarterbacks and actually make plays on running backs before they reach the second level.
  3. Safety: I miss Nick Collins. Morgan Burnett is solid, and Jerron McMillian and/or M.D. Jennings should hopefully keep developing, but if Thompson sees a stud safety on the board, I’d be fine if he took him. Safety is another one of those positions that you don’t appreciate until you don’t have one. A stud safety can improve both the pass defense and run defense.
  4. Running Back: Thompson hasn’t had much luck taking running backs in the later rounds. Should he try something different and take a running back in the first round? I want to say no, but a guy like Doug Martin (drafted 31st in 2012) sure would look nice in this offense.
  5. Offensive Line: I like the offensive line as it is. That said, it’s not elite. If there’s a tackle that appears to be an upgrade over Marshall Newhouse or Derek Sherrod, I say go for it. Ditto for a center that would be an upgrade over Evan Dietrich-Smith.

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/01/21/packers-draft-needs-time-to-start-the-conversation/

Members online

Latest posts