Jerry Rice released - - Favre to Rice ?

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK , I know , I'm reaching . But wouldn't it be cool to see 2 1st ballot Hall of Famers hook up for one year ?

GO PACK :cross:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - probably - but ya gotta admit - it would be something to see.....
With Jerry's training regimen and workout ethic... I mean... C'mon!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Yeah - probably - but ya gotta admit - it would be something to see.....

It'd be cool to see. I just dont 'see' it happening.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be a great novelty, thats about it...but rice needs to hang 'em up. of course, when you're the best receiver that ever played the game, nobody can tell you a damn thing.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
just heard on the radio a clip from rice ... he says 'i know i have a lot left in my tank' ... a lot of of AIR cmon man you're older than father time!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm bettin' Jerry Rice can still make most CB Rookies wet their pants.....

And... show up most other WR Rookies all the way thru their rookie season and then some!

He'll make a fine Coach if he decides to go that route!
Wouldn't all of you just $hit if TT went and asked Rice to sign the dotted line - and then he did it for the League minimum.... :shock:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I'm bettin' Jerry Rice can still make most CB Rookies wet their pants.....

nah...

rice is slow these days...he had one decent game last year, i forget who it was against. as far as rice taking the league minimum...not gonna happen. the whole reason the seahawks picked him up was because their receivers couldn't freakin catch...on top of that, fans like to see a legend on the field. the replies in this thread are a testament to that.

Rice getting picked up by any team this year would be strictly a PR move. he had a bright spot in his career 2-3 years ago when the raiders were passing 70% of the time. i hate to say it because i grew up when Rice owned the league, but he needs to hang em up before he gets tagged with the "really durable" moniker ala emmit smith.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Rice should hang 'em up. He's just going to tarnish his legacy. That said, it's his legacy, and he can do what he wishes with it.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice is far from washed up. I agree w/ IB; he can still turn most CBs around on their ear and he'll catch the ball and still make you miss. No, he's not a #1 go to guy and may have problems beating out many #2s, but I'd love to have him as a 3rd WR. His work ehtic alone makes him a valuable team member. Make no mistake about it, GB needs help @ WR. Lossing Walker to injury in the playoff loss and watching the offense slow to a crawl was testimony to that. Besides that, Driver is in the last year of his contract and Fergy hasn't shown he's fully recovered from his injury, play again and take a hit, nor has he shown he can be a go to guy. Picking up Rice, Dwight or another WR would give GB the flexibility to move Driver now or maybe next season @ the tread deadline when GB could get more for him.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Rice is far from washed up. I agree w/ IB; he can still turn most CBs around on their ear and he'll catch the ball and still make you miss.

why would you even say that? i guess we'll just have to disagree here...Rice would be a third option in almost any offense, but thats not saying much. 3rd tier recievers catch 25-30 balls if their lucky...you could ask the same from a kid with some talent coming out of the combine...but he has a future.

i'll say it again, any team picking Rice up is making a PR move.

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice

If I were in Rice's shoes, I would have retired a couple of years ago...the time for an athlete to retire is when he's at the top of his game.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrow, I said it because I believe it and they numbers for Rice back it up. Too many here ignore the facts: Fergy hasn't come close to being a starter when he's not hurt and Driver is in the last year of his contract. In case you haven't noticed, GB has hugh cap problems. Do you really believe Driver will be a priority w/ Grady, Green, and Davenport in the last year of their contracts not to mention this could be Farve's and Bubba's last year w/ the team as well? What about the work ethic? What about being an assistant coach on the field for any young WRs GB happens to bring in? What about the fact he probably wouldn't cost that much to sign and GB has no money? Fergy averages about 2 catches a game and most of those come in mop up duty at the end of the game. Yes, he makes some very acrobatic catches, but he boots a number of sure things as well. He's younger, bigger and stronger than Driver, and he's been in the league 1 yr longer than Walker; why isn't he a starting WR on our team? Open your eyes; he's not that good.

Dustin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jerry Rice

dan7 said:
If I were in Rice's shoes, I would have retired a couple of years ago...the time for an athlete to retire is when he's at the top of his game.
With all due respect, have you played any sports for a prolonged period of time? The hardest thing to do is to simply walk away from the competition when you know you can still do it, and do it well.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Fergy isn't a starter because the Packers invested so much into Driver coupled with how much of an asset he is to the special teams unit. He's good, maybe not top 15 in the NFL good, but he can get the job done. If Walker was as good as Fergy on special teams, maybe...MAYBE Fergy goes to the pro bowl. Who knows. Although since I'm bias'd because I think Walker is a GREAT receiver I will have to say theres no chance of that, but just trying to view things on a different perception ... kevin@aei

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Arrow, I said it because I believe it and they numbers for Rice back it up. Too many here ignore the facts: Fergy hasn't come close to being a starter when he's not hurt and Driver is in the last year of his contract. In case you haven't noticed, GB has hugh cap problems. Do you really believe Driver will be a priority w/ Grady, Green, and Davenport in the last year of their contracts not to mention this could be Farve's and Bubba's last year w/ the team as well? What about the work ethic? What about being an assistant coach on the field for any young WRs GB happens to bring in? What about the fact he probably wouldn't cost that much to sign and GB has no money? Fergy averages about 2 catches a game and most of those come in mop up duty at the end of the game. Yes, he makes some very acrobatic catches, but he boots a number of sure things as well. He's younger, bigger and stronger than Driver, and he's been in the league 1 yr longer than Walker; why isn't he a starting WR on our team? Open your eyes; he's not that good.

slack...i see your point, i just don't agree. simple as that. we'll see what happens in the off-season, i think the majority of teams are thinking the same thing as me. i do agree that he would be a great example and provide some good leadership to any franchise, good point. as far as driver's contract being up next year, Rice isn't going to sign a contract longer than a season...so his contract would be up as well. why not try and find the next Rice instead?

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrow, I agree; it would be nice to see them get a nice young WR to develop. However, I don't see that happening considering all they're other needs....Def. I think it would be nice to have a very savey WR like Rice so that they could consider trading Driver. Why not get something for him, young WR, instead of lossing him in FA next year and get nothing in return? I know it's not going to happen. I am sure Rice will find a team who needs him and he'll do everything they ask of him and then some which is why I'd try to bring him to my team. He's a winner! We'll just have to wait and see.

Slick, Fergy and Driver make approx. the same $$ for 05.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

how many cc's do you think his "regime" consists of?

and on a side note, fergy is 10x better than rice.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look.....Fergy has always been plagued with injuries. So when he did start he got injured and Javon Walker started and proved himself to be able to take that starting job.

But on topic it would be nice to bring in Jerry to help train our rookie recivers i.e our first year players. If you look here (http://www.packers.com/team/players/) it says we have 5 1st year recievers, not counting Shockmain Davis. But to me I think bringing in a extremely talented, and experienced reciever could rub off on those 5 players and when the next off season starts and Driver is gone (maybe maybe not?) we could have 5 good recievers ready to step it up when called upon.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fergy couldn't hold Rice's jock as a WR. To this point in his career, he's done nothing (numbers/facts) to prove he's better than Rice.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - Fergy's dropped more in his game this last year than ever before - that meaning if he ever really had anything worthwhile to offer - many like watching him out there - I always saw he was out of position or ran the wrong route.... THIS YEAR is where he had better step up and prove he has something in the tank to offer.... or else he's GONE! I respect he took the big hit against Darius - but if he'd seen what Darius was about to do, he may have let the pass drop.. so no one knows....

If there are some decent WR's in the fourth & fifth rounds. then I'd take a gander... Still, it would be nice to see Jerry Rice hanging around Lambeau for at least one year... at least as a mentor and on-the-field trainor of sorts... for the snot-nosed rookies we're harboring.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts