Jerry Porter

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rumors have picked up and it appears obvious that Joey (Jerry, actually) Porter is being shopped by the Raidahs. They need DL and secondary help and we have lots of depth at both spots.

Along the D-line, some talented players are not going to be with us. A guy like Colin Cole might become expendable with the performance that Kendrick Allen is laying down for the staff. Or a Corey Williams. Kenny Peterson is already on the bubble.

In the secondary, players like Roman, Underwood, anf Horton...or Atari Bigby might be tempting.

What say you? Should we move to bring a guy like Porter in to complement Driver and take the underachieving Rod Gardner, or the enigmatic Fergy out of the equation?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Joey Porter

I don't know much about Porter or what kind of "Packer Person" he would be but it couldn't hurt to take a run at him.
From the little bit I've seen of him he seems like a pretty good receiver.
Raider Pride do have any scoop on this guy?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be speed the Packers could use. However, I doubt he is going anywhere.

In interest of time I will copy and past...

A few things to remember about the supposedly unhappy Jerry Porter and his impending exit out of town:

1) Porter has yet to proclaim his unhappiness in public. Ex-Raider Lincoln Kennedy said on a local radio show Porter wanted out, citing Porter as the source. A news report surfaced of an argument between Art Shell and Porter, without actual confirmation of a blowup from either man.

The shouting match may have indeed occurred, but until Porter stands up in front of microphones and sets fire to all bridges leading to Harbor Bay Parkway, he hasn’t done anything which can’t be undone with a few good practice sessions.

2) Players beef with coaches all the time, and often it means nothing. Sometimes it even clears the air. Rich Gannon argued with anyone who cared to argue with him. Al Davis laughs off inquiries about conflict, reminding questioners that arguments are part of life, part of competition.

One of Bill Callahan’s biggest problems was he had no time for debate and wouldn’t listen to debate from grown men - some of whom had salaries that exceeded his own.

There was a lot of talk after a televised sideline yell-a-thon between Tyrone Wheatley and Jon Gruden in Indianapolis one year. Wheatley said the next day if every player who had words with Gruden lined up to see him the following day, they’d have to take numbers to wait their turn. Wheatley, by the way, is working as an assistant in the NFL’s minority coaches program this year - for Gruden and the Bucs.

That won’t happen with Porter, of course. His rift with Gruden will likely endure. But the point is, having a few heated words with Shell doesn’t mean the end is near.

When asked if he had “ironed out’’ his differences with Porter, Shell told reporters Thursday, “There’s nothing to iron out. You sit down, you talk to players . . . Sometimes you don’t see eye-to-eye. But eventually, you sit down, you talk, and you move forward. That’s what I’ve done.’’

3) Financially, trading Porter would put the Raiders in a bind.

The Raiders entered last weekend with a little more than $1.8 million worth of room under the salary cap. A team official told me there were no cap problems, and that he didn’t expect anyone to be cut to make room for signing rookies.

Translation - they’ve already found ways to rework enough deals to fit everyone in. That’s not surprising. The Raiders perform cap gymnastics every year. But dealing Porter could cause some strain. Porter’s salary cap figure is $3,151,320, he has $2,150,000 in pro-rated bonus money and a whopping acceleration of $6,450,000.

The moment Porter is traded, the Raiders lose $5,448,600 in cap space _ and they’re already stuck with $4.357 million in dead money for Rich Gannon, $3.7 million for Kerry Collins and $2.988 million for Ted Washington.

It wouldn’t be an impossible situation, but it’s hardly ideal.

The expectation is that this will all blow over. Porter might stay silent and let it die. He could invoke the athletes’ trilogy (blown out of proportion, taken out of context, misquoted). Or maybe he’ll talk frankly about how men are sometimes prone to disagreements and there’s nothing that can’t be worked out.

Life should go on between the Raiders and Porter through the 2006 season, because that’s what makes the most sense.

RP

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
He would be speed the Packers could use. However, I doubt he is going anywhere.

In interest of time I will copy and past...

A few things to remember about the supposedly unhappy Jerry Porter and his impending exit out of town

1) Porter has yet to proclaim his unhappiness in public. Ex-Raider Lincoln Kennedy said on a local radio show Porter wanted out, citing Porter as the source. A news report surfaced of an argument between Art Shell and Porter, without actual confirmation of a blowup from either man.

The shouting match may have indeed occurred, but until Porter stands up in front of microphones and sets fire to all bridges leading to Harbor Bay Parkway, he hasn’t done anything which can’t be undone with a few good practice sessions.

2) Players beef with coaches all the time, and often it means nothing. Sometimes it even clears the air. Rich Gannon argued with anyone who cared to argue with him. Al Davis laughs off inquiries about conflict, reminding questioners that arguments are part of life, part of competition.

One of Bill Callahan’s biggest problems was he had no time for debate and wouldn’t listen to debate from grown men - some of whom had salaries that exceeded his own.

There was a lot of talk after a televised sideline yell-a-thon between Tyrone Wheatley and Jon Gruden in Indianapolis one year. Wheatley said the next day if every player who had words with Gruden lined up to see him the following day, they’d have to take numbers to wait their turn. Wheatley, by the way, is working as an assistant in the NFL’s minority coaches program this year - for Gruden and the Bucs.

That won’t happen with Porter, of course. His rift with Gruden will likely endure. But the point is, having a few heated words with Shell doesn’t mean the end is near.

When asked if he had “ironed out’’ his differences with Porter, Shell told reporters Thursday, “There’s nothing to iron out. You sit down, you talk to players . . . Sometimes you don’t see eye-to-eye. But eventually, you sit down, you talk, and you move forward. That’s what I’ve done.’’

3) Financially, trading Porter would put the Raiders in a bind.

The Raiders entered last weekend with a little more than $1.8 million worth of room under the salary cap. A team official told me there were no cap problems, and that he didn’t expect anyone to be cut to make room for signing rookies.

Translation - they’ve already found ways to rework enough deals to fit everyone in. That’s not surprising. The Raiders perform cap gymnastics every year. But dealing Porter could cause some strain. Porter’s salary cap figure is $3,151,320, he has $2,150,000 in pro-rated bonus money and a whopping acceleration of $6,450,000.

The moment Porter is traded, the Raiders lose $5,448,600 in cap space _ and they’re already stuck with $4.357 million in dead money for Rich Gannon, $3.7 million for Kerry Collins and $2.988 million for Ted Washington.

It wouldn’t be an impossible situation, but it’s hardly ideal.

The expectation is that this will all blow over. Porter might stay silent and let it die. He could invoke the athletes’ trilogy (blown out of proportion, taken out of context, misquoted). Or maybe he’ll talk frankly about how men are sometimes prone to disagreements and there’s nothing that can’t be worked out.

Life should go on between the Raiders and Porter through the 2006 season, because that’s what makes the most sense.

RP

Well Raider at least you saved us a tumultuous thread about how we have a crappy receiver corps and who we should assign that blame to. Thanks!

I would like to have Jerry Porter, he is a consumate WCO receiver. I would compare him to a poor man's Sterling Sharpe in relationship to size and speed. He would be an upgrade from Fergy, Boe, or Gardner. I'm wondering why the Raider's would even want to trade him when it seems to me He and Moss make an envious duo at wideout?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Porter in G&G but the Raiders would take a crippling cap hit, one they cannot afford. Hell, what team could? Too bad, too. He'd make a good #2.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porter would certainly help, I'm just not sure we have what it'll take to get him, without giving up a draft pick, something TT is not likely to do.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having him here, but i don't think it will happen. I think he's a talented guy and Favre would put him to good use.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy with either Porter or Lelie...I think the WR corps is in desperate need of someone taking the pressure off of #80 and #4...bring 'em in TT and let them battle it out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I'd be happy with either Porter or Lelie...I think the WR corps is in desperate need of someone taking the pressure off of #80 and #4...bring 'em in TT and let them battle it out.

I agree ND. (Is Lelie still with Denver?) He's a kid i wouldn't mind having a look see at too.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For now Lelie is still there but it sounds as though he's on his way out...I would love to see GB take a chance on the kid. He'd instantly help out that WR corps.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've heard from two different sources that the Oakland Raiders are willing to trade receiver Jerry Porter, if an interested partner can be identified. One source said that the Raiders discreetly have been shopping Porter for several months.

Porter was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2000. He received a $7 million signing bonus in 2005, only a day or two before word broke of a trade that sent Randy Moss to the Bay Area.

Porter is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and 2007.

Teams that might be interested include the Eagles, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Jaguars, Saints, and 49ers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Actually the PF.com Insider "TheScout" posted this way back when, also gave his take on the situation... will try to pull it up...

Code:
Established in 1939 and a member of The BNA Family of publishers since 1984, Pike & Fischer publishes and produces business, legal, and regulatory Information Solutions covering the following areas

Should we trust sports information from PF.com after reading that summary of their website? I think not!

//sorry, aadp, havent had the time to bust ur balls on anything in quite some time//

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Porter reportedly isn't on board with new Raiders coach Art Shell.

The wide receiver told The San Francisco Chronicle that he has asked the team to trade him.

"Yes. Absolutely. I've told them that," Porter told the newspaper. The 2000 second round pick has caught 239 passes in his six NFL seasons for 3,215 yards and has scored 24 touchdowns.

Porter told the newspaper that his agent told him that the Raiders have asked for two No. 1 picks in return for him in any deal<< Ya Like Thats Going To Ever Happen no one would even give up 1 first round pick for him<<. "Why ... would you ask for a No. 1 for me, or ask for two No. 1s for me, when I wasn't even a No. 1?," he told the newspaper.

Porter told the newspaper he had a run-in with Shell and receivers coach Fred Biletnikoff shortly after Shell was hired when he told them he wanted to work out in Florida instead of participating in the team's offseason conditioning program.

"Ever since then, [Shell] hasn't said anything to me, I haven't said anything to him," Porter told the Chronicle.

Shell didn't dispute Porter's version of events and emphasized to the newspaper that he is trying to change the culture of the Raiders, who are 13-35 the past three seasons.

"The culture is changing," Shell told the Chronicle, "and everybody has been on board and trying to get involved in the process of winning football games, and getting in here, working. You can't have inmates running the asylum.

"That's not gonna be. Not under me, and 99.9 percent of the players here feel that way. They want direction. We're going to give them direction. And I'm not going to back down off of that.

"A couple of the inmates have been trying to run the doggone culture around here. They've been running the program. And that's not gonna be anymore. I'm the head coach. I'm the guy in charge."

Shell, who coached the Raiders previously from 1989-1994, had a 54-38 regular-season record his first time around, leading the Raiders to the AFC Championship Game following the 1990 season. The team has had only three winning seasons since Shell was fired -- one less than he had in five full seasons as coach.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porter would be an excellent addition to the Packers. I've always thought he was underrated and underappreciated in Oakland. He is a very good receiver, with size, speed, and good hands. But let's not kid ourselves. It will take a lot more than a Mark Roman or a Colin Cole to get a player like that, even if the Raiders are open to a deal. And I suspect that Thompson would rather wait and see how his draft picks turn out.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and if he waits too long Porter will be gone. And then, what if TT's picks don't pan out. What then?

That's my biggest beef with TT. He is by far, not aggressive enough, like Wolf was. Yeah, Wolf made some mistakes. But look at the teams he fielded in the 90's.

This is the reason I don't have much faith in TT--too timid and tentative!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Yeah, and if he waits too long Porter will be gone. And then, what if TT's picks don't pan out. What then?

That's my biggest beef with TT. He is by far, not aggressive enough, like Wolf was. Yeah, Wolf made some mistakes. But look at the teams he fielded in the 90's.

This is the reason I don't have much faith in TT--too timid and tentative!

Determining whether the picks do not pan out will take several years.

How was Wolf more aggressive than Thompson? I'm not saying I disagree becuase I can't. I haven't seen Thompson for 5 plus years to make that statement.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh man, are people playing "the sky is falling!" cuz TT isnt going after Porter? Holy cow.

Hutchinson I could see(Still flaws there), even TO(even more flaws), but...Porter?

We just got rid of Walker, now we want a guy thats almost just as bad, and worse on the field? come on now.

I do think though, that if porter came here, he would straighten up. It takes a certain type of player(a very very damn great one) to be able to criticize favre(which Javon never did btw, to his credit, just criticized the team\management) and Porter would\should know that is a losing battle.

But...the world will not end if we do not get the man, or Lelie. Yikes.. training camp is coming, and all the crazies are coming on the board!(jk, Tim Allen)

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero, you can't see a pattern in the man by now? TT is in it for the long haul, he is not trying to win it now. That much is obvious.

And Tromadz, how is it "playing the sky is falling" to want TT to sign some talent on the team that doesn't take 4-5 years to develop?

Man, you seem to be extremely thin skinned if anyone has an opinion or mentions TT, the GM of the GB Packers, aren't you?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, not really. I just dont see what the big deal is. The plan GB is now taking is the plan the steelers and patriots use...so i dont see why we should be pissing ourselves in fear that we aren't signing a malcontent wr. but thats me.

sorry, tim allen. just my opinion.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Zero, you can't see a pattern in the man by now? TT is in it for the long haul, he is not trying to win it now. That much is obvious.

And Tromadz, how is it "playing the sky is falling" to want TT to sign some talent on the team that doesn't take 4-5 years to develop?

Man, you seem to be extremely thin skinned if anyone has an opinion or mentions TT, the GM of the GB Packers, aren't you?

Is this your quick response to fill the void while you dredge up a valid reply to my question?

I've seen a pattern, somewhat and it was similar to Wolfs. Trading a 1rd for a QB that was basically a cast off who wanted to party more than play football was hardly going for the win in short term.

I could go on, but lecture is going to resume in a few minutes. I think I've proved my point though.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
oh man, are people playing "the sky is falling!" cuz TT isnt going after Porter? Holy cow.

Hutchinson I could see(Still flaws there), even TO(even more flaws), but...Porter?

We just got rid of Walker, now we want a guy thats almost just as bad, and worse on the field? come on now.

I do think though, that if porter came here, he would straighten up. It takes a certain type of player(a very very damn great one) to be able to criticize favre(which Javon never did btw, to his credit, just criticized the team\management) and Porter would\should know that is a losing battle.

I do not think this sounds like a guy (Porter) who would be a problem on the field or off for that matter...

The raiders are in there second day of full pad 2 a days... He shows up 20 bpoundls lighter than liast year and in the best shape of his carreer by working out in Florida... He is in his prime from an age and condition standpoint.

This article is about 5 hours old...

Raiders receiver Jerry Porter gets in some early work during the first day of training camp in Napa. (Ray Chavez/staff)

NAPA — Jerry Porter gazes at his image in the darkened window and recoils. He is displeased, because there is too much darkness and too little contrast to allow full appreciation.
And if there is anything J.P. wants, it is to be fully appreciated.

So he makes the adjustment. He steps back until he's in full sunlight.

Porter nods, poses with his hands on his hips, glances down upon the brightest, blingiest, sickest belt ever imagined — gold dollar signs linked together, accented with a massive rash of gleaming studs at the center — and admires not only the shiny accessory but also the way it hangs on his new physique.

A physique that arrived in camp 23 pounds lighter than it was last year, down to 220, apparently cut from the same stone and by the same sculptor who chiseled Terrell Owens.

Porter's fitness stands as visible evidence he has no plans to let his discontent affect his dedication to the Raiders.

"I'm here to do my job," the seventh-year wide receiver said Tuesday as he stood in thefrom Sports 1 midday heat after team's first training-camp practice.

He addressed the topic because he is the Raider most often described as disgruntled, floating in a sea of rumors that he wanted out, that his attendance in the team's off-season program was at an all-time low and that there was friction with his new head coach, Art Shell.

Truth or fiction?

"It's not BS," Porter acknowledged. "But I'm under contract for two more years, so they have me for two more years."

Which sets the stage for Porter to join the long and distinguished list of Raiders who have encountered frustration with the organization. Remember Marcus Allen? Howie Long knows the feeling. Tim Brown had his moments. Chester McGlockton was consumed by it. Steve Beuerlein's differences became irreconcilable, leading to a bitter parting.

Porter's conditioning implies that any hints of animosity will serve as fuel. One has to assume he didn't arrive in the best shape of his life just to loaf through camp, sleep through meetings and roll his eyes at the coaches.

This, J. P. insisted, is about fulfilling an obligation. It's a matter of professionalism.

"That's all it is," he said. "Everybody, no matter who you work with, has somebody at their job they don't like. What do you do? You work through it. You don't have to like everybody."

What the Raiders appear to have is a player ready to mine his talent — partly because he believes there is more and partly because he's ticked.

"A lot of things went on that I didn't agree with," Porter said, without being specific. "There were a lot of things that were basically done out of spite, to me and around me, that I didn't like. So, in turn, I did a couple of things."

One of which was to attend fewer "voluntary" off-season workouts, something bound to irritate his coaches. J. P. went his own way, did his own thing, and the results are nothing less than spectacular.

"Usually every year, I'm here for the off-season program," he said. "But this year I went down to Florida. They saw me maybe eight times all off-season. Usually, I'm here for 40-plus workouts."

Shell has low-keyed his relationship with Porter, insisting things are fine. Maybe they are, now. But more likely, their relationship — like that between all players and a new coach — is a work in progress.

"I've never dealt with an old-school guy, and I mean that honestly." Porter said. "But (Shell) seems to be paying more attention to detail. He wants guys to make sure everyone is onside. He wants everybody on time for meetings. It's about the little things.

"I guess, with the parity in this league, everybody is basically the same. So it's a matter of execution. If you pay attention to the little things, on and off the field, I guess it can't do anything but help you."

Porter finished last season with a team-high 76 catches and was second, behind Randy Moss, with 942 yards. Yet both wideouts were at times neglected. That should change, assuming Aaron Brooks can unload more quickly and be more efficient than the quarterback he replaced, Kerry Collins.

Inasmuch as J.P. is in his prime, having turned 28 this month, he knows this season is important, for him and the team, in terms of perceived attitude, established reputation and results.

"It's not like they're going to fold the organization," Porter said. "But it's time to do something. It's really nothing to be said. We have the pieces in place. There are no excuses. It's time to go play."

Time to sharpen the focus. Time to define the point of view. Time for the pro to come forth, shine like that belt and perhaps receive due appreciation.

Members online

Latest posts