Jermichael Finley needs to go!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I feel compelled to offer some kind of argument in support of Mr. Finley, best encapsulated in the following video, particularly at the 1:15 and 1:50 marks in said video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The tight ends capable of making those two plays can be counted on one hand, maybe even after an amputation or two.

Admittedly, we're 3 years, a knee injury, and a 1/2 step removed from those performances. Nonetheless, it is hard to give up on him entirely without the benefit of seeing where we are with him by season's end, particularly given Jennings tenuous status.

That said, he'll be due about $8 mil next year, starting with a $3.5 mil roster bonus due in March. On the current trajectory, I would have say I would not pay that money. But I still think it is still a bit premature to throw in the towel.
Very impressive performances, but he NEEDS to do this regularly, instead of talking it big. If he did, people would get off his case.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very impressive performances, but he NEEDS to do this regularly, instead of talking it big. If he did, people would get off his case.

:cry: I watched 2 minutes of that video and I wish we could get that guy back. That was a difference maker right there. Don't know how to get him back to that form... I don't think we will... the 2009 knee injury somehow ruined his hands.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Andy Kutler | Packers Fan Columnist

Jermichael Finley has a headache.

Wait, strike that. Jermichael Finley is a headache.

Much of the early season has been a struggle for the Packers offense. Greg Jennings has been down with injuries, the offensive line has suffered lapses and breakdowns, and even Aaron Rodgers has uncharacteristically missed throws from time to time. Yet these guys are all proven performers. They won a Super Bowl together, and it&it's likely just a matter of time before their rhythm is fully restored.

But Finley, who was sidelined by injury during that magical Super Bowl run, is an entirely different story. Often cited as being among the upper echelon of NFL tight ends and a budding star, his actual play and conduct to date begs the question -- why?

READ THE ARTICLE....GOOD STUFF IN THERE

If the time is to shape up or ship out, the next move is clear. These Packers won a Super Bowl without Finley, and have plenty of weapons to do it again. Tough decision, but also a fairly obvious one.

Source: JSOnline.com

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Rabble, Rabble, Rabble... we get it, the fans are tired of Finley.

At least until the next game clinching or changing catch that is. Then he will be celebrated again.

My opinion, the Packers as a whole including his teammates seem to understand what they have in Finley, a blowhard type. Best way to deal with them.. ignore them. Sooner or later, the blowhard gets the message that his antics didn't do squat.. and they fall in line. IMO, Finley is in school right now.. in the middle of the grind with guys banging on him in silence.

Pack93z

Reaction score
A side note.. I think this week will be a week that Rodgers tries to establish Finley early.. sooner or later, defenses are going to focus on Cobb .. this will open things up for Finley. This maybe the week.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Since we, as PackerNation, seem to only want to pound on Finley. Recent Rodgers comments.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...nding_packers.html?blockID=809557&feedID=5069

But this week, Rodgers, who has thrown nine touchdown passes and no interceptions in the past two games, received a ton of praise from his tight end.

"He's playing like it's Xbox right now," Finley said. "So he can throw it to anybody he wants. You have to sit back and wait until it shifts your way. That's what I'm doing, and keeping my head up.

"I think the chemistry's coming along with me and '12' (Rodgers). It's going to get there. One game it's [Greg] Jennings, or one game it's [James] Jones. It'll shift back to the tight end, guaranteed."

Additionally the writer choose a headline grabbing piece as Finley wishes double teams on teammates.. when in reality it is just him talking about the frustrations of being the center of the defenses attention because of his size/speed ratio.

I really think half this nonsense is born upon the writers pen.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A side note.. I think this week will be a week that Rodgers tries to establish Finley early.. sooner or later, defenses are going to focus on Cobb .. this will open things up for Finley. This maybe the week.

Decoys are only decoys if they can produce. All I ever hear is what a threat he is and how he opens up everything for the offense. But that "threat" only has 16 TDs in 4 and a half seasons. Maybe it's just because he isn't that great.

Right up there with Hawk as most overrated Packer of the past decade.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Decoys are only decoys if they can produce. All I ever hear is what a threat he is and how he opens up everything for the offense. But that "threat" only has 16 TDs in 4 and a half seasons. Maybe it's just because he isn't that great.

Agreed, but they there is no denying that he poses problems for the opposition, and to date, they still seem to respect him enough to continue to roll coverage in his direction.

He needs to provide production to keep that respect... but to date, you can still see it weekly. Until that disappears he has value to the Packers in the passing game.

Right up there with Hawk as most overrated Packer of the past decade.

Hawk for where he was picked, agreed. Because he was a top 5 pick, he has gotten more attention than probably deserved. Posts here and elsewhere, you would know that I am not a Hawk butt kisser. But I also don't think he was terrible as people painted him last season.

Hawk didn't bring his instincts with him from OSU.. to me, he has over thought the game after his rookie season and seems to be letting it fly more this season. My only real complaint on Hawk is his tentative nature in playing the position of an inside linebacker.

Hawk is a solid NFL linebacker.. not anything more that that for his entire career. But when he seems to mentally pull the trigger early and trust his eyes/instincts.. he can and does make impact plays. We just haven't seen that, what made him special at OSU, consistently enough. Part of that I blame on Moss overall.. seems like a consistent theme of his pupils.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Since we, as PackerNation, seem to only want to pound on Finley. Recent Rodgers comments.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...nding_packers.html?blockID=809557&feedID=5069

Additionally the writer choose a headline grabbing piece as Finley wishes double teams on teammates.. when in reality it is just him talking about the frustrations of being the center of the defenses attention because of his size/speed ratio.

I really think half this nonsense is born upon the writers pen.

Well, at least that comment was meant well from finley. He is still wrong. Arod does not chose who to throw it to from game to game..." this week it's Jones"....no way!!! Arod spreads the ball around TO WHOM EVER IS OPEN. Hey Finley, GET OPEN more often and actually catch the ball when you do AND keep your pie hole shut and you should see more passes come your way. Cobb gets his turns, so does Jordy, and Jones.....because they have proven to be more reliable and they get open. Shhheeeshhh finley.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well, at least that comment was meant well from finley. He is still wrong. Arod does not chose who to throw it to from game to game..." this week it's Jones"....no way!!! Arod spreads the ball around TO WHOM EVER IS OPEN. Hey Finley, GET OPEN more often and actually catch the ball when you do AND keep your pie hole shut and you should see more passes come your way. Cobb gets his turns, so does Jordy, and Jones.....because they have proven to be more reliable and they get open. Shhheeeshhh finley.

I think he is trying to say that dependent upon the coverage and defensive scheme, the position and routes vary in whom is open and has the favorable match up.

It is in reference to the chess game played by the offense verses the defense.. not that Arod chooses whom to favor a given weekend. That would be forcing it, ala Favre, something Rodgers does very little of. It is all about the route trees verses the coverage employed.

This chemistry issue, to me is really a matter of Finley trying to say the timing was off.. I think overall he was right. Look early in the season, that was a global theme with the collection of receivers, I think most of that really was on the replacement officials and their allowance of more contact down field. We don't run a ton of stick type routes, we are more option based on the defenders positioning and scheme. So with contact that hampered the timing of the routes and made it appear that Rodgers was off his game. Reality in my mind is that as soon as the offenses got back to the NFL rules and made the adjustment back, the passing games around the league took off again.

Where Finley was in error, in my mind, is that he assumed it was just him and Rodgers.. when in reality it was a global issue with all receivers in option route based offenses.. offenses with more traditional stick routes were less affected as there were less reads and thus variables in the plays.

My opinion of Finley is this simply, he is a blow hard that wants to be "the man". He has trouble accepting that he is just one part of the equation instead of the centerpiece of that equation. In other words, his ego is in the way, couple that will immaturity and you have what we have.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the Packers, and by all appearances, the Packers (including players) understand what he is.. a blow hard.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Okay, I`m gonna step up and say this.......Jermicheal ?? Please stop talking the talk, and start putting into practice bud !!!
I WANT to remember you as a legend in green and gold. I want one day to have a Mcfarlane figurine of you in my collection. I WANT to be able to talk to my friends about the day I saw you catch five TD`s in a single game, I WANT this so much, so please stop talking and MAKE Rodgers WANT you to be his go to guy !!
Speech over !

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Maybe the Chargers can hook him up with some of that sticky substance.

You know it's interesting. I was watching the Tampa game yesterday and I still marvel at Dallas Clark and how he still plays without gloves. Over 400 catches in his career. All without those tacky gloves....all barehanded.

Finley really has no excuse.

Members online

Latest posts