Jennings retires

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter he did not leave Green Bay under the best of circumstances. Greg Jennings was a great Packer and had a helluva lot to due with beating the Steelers. Always smiling always thinking of ways to get open...he was a blast of fresh air. Not an obit though it may sound like one.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings was great. Too bad he turned down the Packers' offer, which was better than the one he took from the Yikes; but everybody makes mistakes. The 2 TD passes in the Championship were the greatest. Wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was so smooth in his routes and then in catching and running after. Made a lot of people look silly and he looked like he was running with little effort. I do t care about the exit, he was a major player in our return to the super bowl and a benefit to this team while here. Without a doubt

Reaction score
Greg is the epitome of why staying with an elite team with a reasonable contract and where your talent is utilized is preferable in the long term.
I think he should've come back 1 more year and took a handoff so he didn't retire with a minus -1 career rushing stat :eek:
Seriously tho, great athlete and key contributor to our 2010 achievement and wish him the best.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings let his sister talk for him, and then pig piled once he left. I liked Greg from his rookie camp on. I think that he wasn't smart enough to stay away from the kool aid that others were feeding him, that he was better than the team. Like so many before him, he learned the hard way and now has an aborted career to show for it.

We will be welcoming him back into the Packers community in a few short years.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Jennings route running was fluid and he was fun to watch after the catch. I hope he thanked his sister properly. You know, head butt and slap across the face!

H

HardRightEdge

Jennings is a borderline Packer Hall of Fame candidate if one can look past the bad-mouthing and bitterness surrounding his departure. Time may heal wounds.

There are 5 WRs currently in the Packer Hall: Hutson, Dowler, Lofton, Sharpe, Brooks. Driver will surely make 6.

Freeman and Jennings have very comparable Packer career stats, and these 2 players would be most qualified at the position after the above 6 names. Nelson is not far behind stat-wise and would be the next odds-on favorite once he retires.

Both Jennings and Freeman have key Super Bowl plays and rings to their credit. Perhaps if the committee encounters and extended spell of less qualified candidates they might flip a coin and add one of these two players.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt Jennings was a great receiver during his tenure with the Packers and a major contributor to the team winning the Super Bowl in 2010.

Unfortunately it's tough to ignore what he said about the franchise (especially him being brainwashed while in Green Bay) after he left after the 2012 season.

H

HardRightEdge

There's absolutely no doubt Jennings was a great receiver during his tenure with the Packers and a major contributor to the team winning the Super Bowl in 2010.

Unfortunately it's tough to ignore what he said about the franchise (especially him being brainwashed while in Green Bay) after he left after the 2012 season.
Well, Driver said some unkind things about his QB, and the coaches by extension, upon his departure in semi-agreement. Nobody chooses to remember that, with the emphasis on "chooses".

Be that as it may, as the years roll by the stats and the big plays are remembered more than the circumstances of a players departure.

Like I said...borderline Packer HOF. A decade or two down the line the committee might find themselves struggling to find a name and say "what the heck".

But your point is well taken. Kuhn, a fine football player, will probably get in before Jennings even if his contribution to winning does not quite stack up to Jennings'. Kuhn will get points as a "company man".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings let his sister talk for him, and then pig piled once he left. I liked Greg from his rookie camp on. I think that he wasn't smart enough to stay away from the kool aid that others were feeding him, that he was better than the team. Like so many before him, he learned the hard way and now has an aborted career to show for it.

We will be welcoming him back into the Packers community in a few short years.

funny you should put it that way "wasn't smart enough to stay away from the kool aid" isn't that pretty much the same as him saying Packers players were brainwashed? In other words he was saying he wasn't drinking the kool aid the Packers were trying to feed him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a borderline Packer Hall of Fame candidate if one can look past the bad-mouthing and bitterness surrounding his departure. Time may heal wounds.

There are 5 WRs currently in the Packer Hall: Hutson, Dowler, Lofton, Sharpe, Brooks. Driver will surely make 6.

Freeman and Jennings have very comparable Packer career stats, and these 2 players would be most qualified at the position after the above 6 names. Nelson is not far behind stat-wise and would be the next odds-on favorite once he retires.

Both Jennings and Freeman have key Super Bowl plays and rings to their credit. Perhaps if the committee encounters and extended spell of less qualified candidates they might flip a coin and add one of these two players.

Borderline? are you crazy? Guys like Bennett, Chmura, Rivera, KGB, Levens, Freeman (2009), Gilbert Brown are all in and Jennings was certainly as instrumental in the Packers success as any of these guys. If Jennings hadn't said those things he did there would be no borderline about it in any packer fan's mind. Jordy will make it and if Cobb has 2 more good years he will as well.

H

HardRightEdge

Borderline? are you crazy? Guys like Bennett, Chmura, Rivera, KGB, Levens, Freeman (2009), Gilbert Brown are all in and Jennings was certainly as instrumental in the Packers success as any of these guys. If Jennings hadn't said those things he did there would be no borderline about it in any packer fan's mind. Jordy will make it and if Cobb has 2 more good years he will as well.
My bad on Freeman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's borderline either. A super bowl winner with those stats makes it easily. Super bowl winners who were just liked make it with no stats. Sure he said something when he left, i've been over that since he said them. But while he was here, he was nothing but a good teammate, by all accounts a good guy off the field, and was a big performer on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Driver said some unkind things about his QB, and the coaches by extension, upon his departure in semi-agreement. Nobody chooses to remember that, with the emphasis on "chooses".

In my opinion Driver's comments were rather awkward than offensive towards Rodgers and the Packers.

I didn't agree with him wanting the quarterback to take responsibility for a receiver's fault either though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny you should put it that way "wasn't smart enough to stay away from the kool aid" isn't that pretty much the same as him saying Packers players were brainwashed? In other words he was saying he wasn't drinking the kool aid the Packers were trying to feed him.
Life is full of people trying to force feed their agendas to you. Of course the Packers were beating their own drum. So was his sister. The problem with Jennings was that he didn't seem to think for himself and be his own man. There is always kool-aid out there for the weak-minded.

Jennings made many memorable plays: the Super Bowl catches, the slant for Favre in the Metrodome to give him the TD record, etc. Debating his HOF status is interesting but I'll just say that I appreciated while he was here, he was a very good player then, and he said some bad things on the way out. In his heart he seemed to be a good dude and so I'm not going to hold his emotions against him forever.

H

HardRightEdge

In my opinion Driver's comments were rather awkward than offensive towards Rodgers and the Packers.

I didn't agree with him wanting the quarterback to take responsibility for a receiver's fault either though.
As I said, I find the complaints semi-similar. I don't particularly find them justified nor sufficiently articulated to connect the dots fully. These players had not played anywhere else to know if their complaints about "brain washing" or unvarnished assessments are especially out of the ordinary. What the two comments have in common are the fact that the organization and the QB adhere to the process regardless of a players occasional mistakes (everybody makes them) or their limitations.

What Driver may have been saying is that with his skills having meaningfully eroded as a marginal player in his last few seasons, Rodgers was still holding him to the standards and expectations of his former Pro Bowl self. One could judge this in a couple of ways. On one particular throw, perhaps the QB could be more accommodating to current realities, if not on the field than in the meeting room. On the other hand, if in exposing the diminishment of talent in an unvarnished assessment of the current state of play accelerates the transition to a younger player, the approach might sound harsh on a personal level in putting dedication to the process over personality. It would be hard to believe Driver would have been so sensitive to criticism when he was playing at a Pro Bowl level. Recall that Driver wanted to play another year (or years); he might have thought Rodgers failure to accommodate diminished skills (but good enough in Drivers' mind) contributed to his "premature" retirement.

In any case, putting process over personality seems to be the nub of both complaints. I side with the QB.

H

HardRightEdge

To pivot away from this current line of discussion, the following Jenning's articulation of what it takes to be an NFL WR should be of particular interest. It illustrates that "learning the playbook" is just an initial step in mastering the craft.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/greg-jennings-nfl-wide-receiver/

There's a lot of ad lib, or what one might call "deeply informed playground", imbedded in the process, and gives some insight into what "chemistry" actually means. Sticking with the "as lib" term, it's not just some occasional thing that happens when the QB ditches the pocket. There is some element of it in every route that needs to be mastered.

WRs must learn to read defenses, and read them the way the QB reads them to be an accomplished WR.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Life is full of people trying to force feed their agendas to you. Of course the Packers were beating their own drum. So was his sister. The problem with Jennings was that he didn't seem to think for himself and be his own man. There is always kool-aid out there for the weak-minded.

Jennings made many memorable plays: the Super Bowl catches, the slant for Favre in the Metrodome to give him the TD record, etc. Debating his HOF status is interesting but I'll just say that I appreciated while he was here, he was a very good player then, and he said some bad things on the way out. In his heart he seemed to be a good dude and so I'm not going to hold his emotions against him forever.

I appreciated him while he was here as well and when he left he was pretty much like any other ex packer. He was an Ex Packer. The only 2 players I ever checked the box score for after they left were James Jones and Ahman Green. His comments and opinions are his own and are really none of my concern. I'm not going to get all bent out of shape because an ex player says something unflattering about the team or any other player. In fact he most likely has had a lot more insight into it than I have.

It seems to me like the Packer hall of fame has more room for players who may not have been the best stat wise or performance wise but who were fan favorites and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact its probably how it should be. Let the NFL HOF be concerned with numbers and records and dominance and let the Packers (or other teams for that matter) HOF be concerned with players who who were great Green Bay Packers. I think GJ fits that description and IMO he is a shoe in.

H

HardRightEdge

What a great website. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to read more of these articles when there's more time. I read the one that Larry Fitzgerald wrote about Denny Green and see others that sound interesting.
You're welcome, EG. Frankly, I stumbled across that piece doing a google search and I have not read any of the other content. I guess I should bookmark it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts