Jennings impresses coaches/teammates'

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted August 1, 2006

Jennings catching teammates' praise
By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Maybe Greg Jennings will be the exception as a rookie wide receiver in the NFL.

At a position where the Green Bay Packers are desperate for playmakers, but a position where rookies rarely contribute significantly, Jennings' performance early in training camp suggests the second-round draft pick might crack the top three of the Packers' receivers rotation.

He's worked in that role the past two days behind Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson, and he's quietly caught the attention of his coaches and teammates in the first four days of training camp.

For instance, when a reporter asked quarterback Brett Favre on Monday what signs he sees when a new or young player begins to emerge as a weapon, he gave a long answer that eventually wound its way to Jennings catching his eye, even though Favre wasn't asked about any player in particular.

"It's premature," Favre said, "but I see him — he's kind of fluid in what he does, it comes natural to him I guess is the best way to put it."

Jennings, in fact, probably has been the Packers' most impressive rookie so far in training camp. This isn't to suggest he's been a dominating player or stood out with an outstanding play in every practice of camp. But from his first minicamp practices last spring he's shown an unusual level of football maturity for a receiver breaking into the NFL, and he's found a way to get open regularly and make his share of catches.

Aaron Rodgers, the Packers' backup quarterback, remembers watching Jennings' first route at his first minicamp — a hook route — and thinking the rookie's body language, tempo and quick break looked like a veteran. He now thinks Jennings will help the Packers immediately.

"Last year, we had to put Donald (Driver) into the primary receiver spot every time, and a lot of times that meant putting him in the slot on third downs," Rodgers said.

"The way Greg's played so far, it's safe to say we might not have to put Donald on the primary receiver spot every time, we can leave Donald as the 'Z' on third down and move Greg Jennings inside, because he can work the middle really well. You've already seen in camp he's made some good catches across the middle, he gets good separation. He's been impressive."

If Jennings proves to be advanced enough to play a major role for the Packers' playmaking-starved offense, he'll be the exception in today's NFL.

Of the 71 receivers selected in the first two rounds of the NFL the past five years, only five have caught 50 passes or more in their rookie season, and only three — Arizona's Anquan Boldin (101), Houston's Andre Johnson (66) and Tampa Bay's Michael Clayton (80) — have caught 60 or more.

The average for those 71 receivers is 21 catches as a rookie, which is in line with the Packers' recent experiences. Robert Ferguson (No. 41 in 2001) had zero receptions as a rookie, and Javon Walker (No. 20 in 2002) had 23 in his first season.

Jennings was a second-round pick this year out of Western Michigan, the No. 52 pick overall. He was exceptionally productive in college (228 receptions in his final three seasons) and was a highly regarded prospect by some teams, but he wasn't taken higher because of his average size (5-feet-11, 197 pounds) and straight-line speed (4.53 seconds) for elite prospects at his position.

When asked what he made of the lack of rookie success at his position, Jennings said: "I'm not sure. I try not to put myself in those other guys' light. I try to beat the odds. I just focus on what I need to do here and whatever plays out, plays out. If I get those ridiculous amount of catches or if I get those 20, I want those to be the best 20 or the best 40 or the best 50 catches that I ever made."

Jennings undoubtedly will get his chances to win a major role, because the Packers are starved for playmakers on offense after Javon Walker forced a trade out of town in the offseason.

Driver has been the Packers' best receiver in camp, and Jennings arguably has outperformed both Ferguson and Rod Gardner, the sixth-year pro who missed the first two days of camp because of a hamstring injury, not to mention free-agent signee Marc Boerigter, who clearly is behind the rest. But no one in the group behind Driver has jumped out as an easily identified, eye-catching playmaker.

Ferguson still has to be considered the most likely candidate to start opposite Driver because of his experience with Favre. But he will have to hold off Jennings and perhaps Gardner by winning more battles for contested passes than he did last season.

During the Packers' final team drill Monday in the red zone, Ferguson made a leaping touchdown catch on a fade pattern over Therrian Fontenot, a backup cornerback who's a long shot to make the team. But earlier, in a seven-on-seven drill in the red zone, starting cornerback Charles Woodson broke fast and then out-battled Ferguson for the ball for an interception on a short pass from Favre.

"I've seen some (playmaking by receivers)," said Jeff Jagodzinski, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "As far as that spectacular play, that's all someone's opinion. What we're asking our guys to do is make the play when the play counts. I talked about the 50-50 ball, when that ball's up in the air, you've got to come down with the ball.

"Those easy, open ones (that are) right there, that's a given, they should be catching them. But anything around their body, say a third down, they've got to go make that play. Both (the receiver and defensive back) are going to be right there, they've got to go get that. We talk to those guys about that every day, about making plays when it counts."

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, Jennings is lookin' good so far. Got a decent disposition to match (refreshing given recent receiver history).
He might well be the man to help Driver out. And Favre.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings has done nothing but impress, since day 1 of minicamp. I like it. Now the pads are on and the real tests begin, and he STILL does the damn thing. Watch out for this guy, he could be the new javon in a year or 2.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Jennings has done nothing but impress, since day 1 of minicamp. I like it. Now the pads are on and the real tests begin, and he STILL does the damn thing. Watch out for this guy, he could be the new javon in a year or 2.

So, should we trade him now then? Or give him millions next season so he can't whine his way out of town?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well we didnt draft a *******, we drafted a respecting human being, who will more than likely honor his contract, and earn his money (like driver).

hes the next javon as in talent.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
well we didnt draft a *******, we drafted a respecting human being, who will more than likely honor his contract, and earn his money (like driver).

hes the next javon as in talent.

Javon was very respecting and respectable when he was first drafted. He didn't turn into a slapnuts til after his pro bowl season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thought i was the negative and baiting one?

jennings seems to be a lot more like DD than JW.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i thought i was the negative and baiting one?

jennings seems to be a lot more like DD than JW.

I apologize if getting facts on the board was baiting.

I hope Jennings is more like Donald then Javon. That ordeal sucked balls!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, you knew what i was getting at with the jennings\DD\JW comparisons, but you were arguing for the sake of arguing. Good try.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
no, you knew what i was getting at with the jennings\DD\JW comparisons, but you were arguing for the sake of arguing. Good try.

You said...
tromadz said:

I said...
Zero2Cool said:
So, should we trade him now then? Or give him millions next season so he can't whine his way out of town?

You didn't mention Driver at all until a later post. Looks to me as if you added some data to fuel your statement hoping I would bite :) However, I really do not see where I was trying to start an argument. You're defensive and its discouraging.

Please find your fill of a ****** contest with someone else. You're not worth the effort. Have a good day chap.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
um, i posted first. you replied to me...guess thats too obvious for you to notice. sigh...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
um, i posted first. you replied to me...guess thats too obvious for you to notice. sigh...

I could follow your assine lead here and question if posting after another person means they want to argue, but ... I won't.

Since you failed to understand the first time.

tromadz said:

You said...
tromadz said:

I said...
Zero2Cool said:

You didn't mention Driver at all until a later post. Looks to me as if you added some data to fuel your statement hoping I would bite :) However, I really do not see where I was trying to start an argument. You're defensive and its discouraging.

Please find your fill of a ****** contest with someone else. You're not worth the effort. Have a good day chap.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i made a point, and you argued for arguments sake. we both (i think) agree that jennings isnt a crappy human being like JW...but go ahead and argue for arguments sake. get a hold of your life.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im gonna be the bigger man here and walk away...WALK AWAY (I just quoted scary movie 2 for no reason)

go jennings!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
im gonna be the bigger man here and walk away...WALK AWAY (I just quoted scary movie 2 for no reason)

go jennings!

ROFL

you make a post, then follow it with saying you're walking away?????????????????????????? if ur gonna WALK AWAY .... DO IT walk away, dont post about it rofl ... must be a vikings fan, no they have more class than you

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like a catfight with the claws removed! I swear I had memories of my kindergarten years reading that little slice of hilarity!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
And so, where did this discussion go on something that started out to be a good post?
It went to crap because of a useless poster who feels everyone is trying to start an argument with her if they reply to their comments. This is a good thread topic hopefully we can get it back on track!!

digsthepack said:
Like a catfight with the claws removed! I swear I had memories of my kindergarten years reading that little slice of hilarity!!
lol for realz!

But back to the interesting portion of this thread...

Jennings is getting good comments from all areas. Did they say anything about Jennings on that NFL Network video?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a great example of what happens when you draft based on sustained, high production versus jean-creaming speed or hops.

For the most part, our entire draft is these type of players and, as such, I expect many to contribute early.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Jennings is a great example of what happens when you draft based on sustained, high production versus jean-creaming speed or hops.

For the most part, our entire draft is these type of players and, as such, I expect many to contribute early.
I'm just as excited about Cory Rodgers as Jennings, well less the shooting incident. But being from a state where the National perception is that we still drive around in covered wagons, I can appreciate Cory's handling of the steel.

Green Bay's wide receiver corp has some upside, hopefully an underperfoming veteran isn't retained instead of a promising rookie.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another good article on Jennings -

THU., AUG 3, 2006 - 1:06 AM
Packers: Jennings on an early go route
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - You know the type.

Maybe it was your college roommate, who never seemed to be studying and yet always aced the big final. Or your buddy, who showed up at the poker party having never played Texas Hold 'Em and left with your rent money. Or that co-worker in the next cubicle, who blogs and designs Web pages while you can't even figure out how to Google somebody.

Yes, we all know a few of them, those rare individuals whom, depending on your personality, you view with either awestruck admiration or annoyed jealousy because, well, they just make it look so easy.

Greg Jennings, the Green Bay Packers' rookie wide receiver, is one of those people.

"It just comes natural to him," quarterback Brett Favre said. "I guess that's the best way to put it."

Less than a week into training camp, Jennings, a second-round pick out of Western Michigan, has made the biggest impression of any player on the 89-man roster. There was no missing him on Tuesday night when he hauled in a 57- yard bomb from Favre during that night's practice, and there he was again on Wednesday afternoon, snaring a Favre pass on a crossing route and running away from the defense.

"He pretty much has the whole total package," said No.•1 receiver Donald Driver, whose locker is just down from Jennings'. "If he continues this way through the whole training camp and into the regular season, he's going to be good."

The significance of Jennings' catch on Tuesday night wasn't just that he made a fabulous over-the-shoulder grab against Jason Horton's tight coverage, but that he was on the field at all. The Packers' No. 1 offense was in 2-minute mode, and in their three-receiver set, it was Driver (an eighth-year veteran), Robert Ferguson (sixth year) and the rookie. Sixth-year vet Rod Gardner and free-agent pickup Marc Boerigter, entering his fifth year, were on the sidelines.

"It's all about opportunities, and you've got a young man who's taking full advantage of his. That's why he's in there," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think you're seeing Greg (becoming) comfortable with what he's doing." A high football IQ •

Actually, Jennings has looked comfortable since he arrived in Green Bay for the post-draft minicamp in early May. Because Western Michigan ran a similar strain of the West Coast offense, Jennings wasn't overwhelmed by McCarthy's playbook.

"That's definitely helped me out," said Jennings, who holds Western Michigan's career receiving records for catches (238), receiving yards (3,539), touchdowns (39) and all-purpose yards (5,093) and became just the 11th player in NCAA Division I history to record three 1,000-yard receiving seasons. "That's why I'm able to adapt and comprehend and be more comfortable than most guys coming in."

For example, Ferguson and departed wideout Javon Walker learned just one position as rookies and accomplished little - Ferguson played only one game and didn't have a reception his first year; Walker caught just 23 passes for 319 yards - while Jennings is playing all three receiver positions.

"I have him everywhere. Every play, he's in a different spot - X (flanker), Z (split end) and zebra (slot receiver)," wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "So far in Greg's case, he's picked the system up very, very well. He's a smart kid, he's got good football instincts and from the very first day had a pretty good understanding of what we were wanting to do."

Don't misunderstand, though. Jennings may make it look easy, but he isn't where he is right now - in position to earn the starting job opposite Driver - because of luck. Instead, it is a combination of intelligence (both football and real-life based), work ethic, natural ability and, for good measure, a healthy grudge toward Lloyd Carr and the University of Michigan football program. Motivated by snub •

After Jennings earned second team all-state honors as a junior at Kalamazoo (Mich.) Central High School, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Wisconsin all recruited him. Born and raised as a Wolverines fan, Jennings ****** committed to Michigan without even visiting the other schools.

But after his senior year - for reasons he still doesn't know - Carr and his staff "stopped calling" him. Eventually, about a month before signing day, Jennings started looking elsewhere, only to find that none of the other Big Ten schools were interested anymore. He ended up staying in Kalamazoo and going to Western Michigan.

"It was a blessing, going to Western, being put in a position where I was able to jump in right away," said Jennings, whose first cousin, Denver Broncos linebacker Ian Gold, went to Michigan. "I had a lot thrown at me right away, so it forced me to learn quicker. I progressed so quickly, it was almost too fast. It came too easy. But as I stayed in studying film and just kept learning different things, the game just stayed easy to me."

History says it won't be easy for Jennings to have a major impact as a rookie. Only five of the 546 wide receivers drafted from 1990 through 2005 have had 1,000-yard seasons as rookies: Joey Galloway (1995), Terry Glenn (1996), Randy Moss (1998), Anquan Boldin (2003) and Michael Clayton (2004).

"It's hard for some reason. I don't know why," Robinson said. "Maybe it's just the competition of the defensive backfields in this league that make it difficult for them, or (they struggle to) pick systems up quickly to be able to contribute early." A chance to start •

The 52nd overall pick and fourth receiver taken in April's draft after Ohio State's Santonio Holmes (Pittsburgh, 25th overall), Florida's Chad Jackson (New England, 36th) and Miami's Sinorice Moss (New York Giants, 44th), Jennings might get the chance to start because Ferguson, Gardner and Boerigter have done little so far to distinguish themselves.

"If he's the best guy, if he earns that job, he earns that job," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "The guy just keeps showing up. And that's what we're looking for."

The only real question about Jennings is his size. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the scouting combine, but at 5-foot-11 and 198 pounds, he doesn't fit McCarthy's big- receiver prototype. Nonetheless, Jennings is confident he'll be able to handle the game physically.

"It's never been a problem for me, I don't plan on it being a problem for me," Jennings said. "I never took that many hits in college (because) when you have football awareness, you (can) avoid the big hit, for the most part.

"Coming out, I knew my football awareness and my knowledge of the game was a lot higher than a lot of players (like Holmes, Jackson and Moss) and I knew it would help me in the long run, regardless of where I ended up in the draft. Right now, that's what you see - a guy who is comfortable but at the same time can learn and am willing to learn."

And that's what Favre sees, too.

"I can see why he had success in college, and I can also see why maybe he was overlooked," Favre said. "Sometimes size and speed play such a big part in decisions of an NFL team and you overlook the most important thing: Intangibles. Can he get open? Can he catch? Can he catch in traffic? And some of those things remain to be seen, but I feel like he's kind of a natural at what he does."

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another one

Attention grabber
Rookie receiver making an impression with his play, grasp of West Coast offense
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 2, 2006
Green Bay - Every time the Green Bay Packers coaching staff sees receiver Greg Jennings make another outstanding play, they have to temper their enthusia

"I cant really think of too many rookies that have come in and understood things as quickly as he has," - Jimmy Robinson, Green Bay Packers receivers coach on Greg Jennings, above.

He is, after all, just a rookie, and rookies don't make an impact at receiver in the National Football League.

So when Jennings made one of the biggest plays of the first six days of training camp - a 57-yard reception from quarterback Brett Favre on the first play of a highly competitive 2-minute drill - he had to hear in meetings the next day that he could have run his route down the sideline a little better.

"The coaching point was I needed to work him (the cornerback) a little bit and then release on him instead of running straight outside," Jennings said. "I should have given him more (of a move) at the top of the route. (There's) always room to improve."

Jennings has been by far the star of training camp, leading all receivers in catches during 11-on-11 drills with 10 and continually running routes like a 10-year veteran. The second-round pick from Western Michigan has picked up the West Coast offense faster than any rookie receiver the Packers have had since Antonio Freeman.

Unlike the high draft picks behind him - Terrence Murphy, Javon Walker and Robert Ferguson - Jennings hasn't been limited to just one receiver spot. He can play all three (split end, flanker and slot), which greatly enhances his opportunity to get on the field.

The others were given one assignment (the split end position) and told not to worry about the others. Jennings can line up anywhere and when he runs routes, they're almost as pretty as Donald Driver's.

"He's precise on what he does," said receivers coach Jimmy Robinson, who has been coaching in the NFL since 1990, including a stop with the Indianapolis Colts. "He understands what he's doing. Marvin Harrison was a guy that came out and understood what was going on right away. He was a starter from the very beginning. Other than that I can't really think of too many rookies that have come in and understood things as quickly as he has."

Jennings' long reception Tuesday night was one of several impressive plays the 5-11, 198-pound rookie has made in camp. Most of his plays occur when he catches the ball over the middle and accelerates upfield and away from defenders.

He displayed his route-running ability in a one-on-one drill Wednesday afternoon when he broke down the field and delivered a hard fake outside and a seamless break back to the inside, leaving cornerback Therrian Fontenot in his dust.

Jennings credits his quick study of the offense as the reason he runs such good routes at this stage of his career. He said from the minute he walked onto the Western Michigan campus, understanding offenses was easy for him and it was no different in Green Bay where he's running a similar scheme to the one at Western.

"It was a blessing, going to Western," said Jennings, who was snubbed by Michigan in the recruiting process. "Being put in a position where I was able to jump in right away but having a lot thrown at me right away, it forced me to learn quicker and to be sharp about things.

"It was almost like, it came too easy. And I think that's the biggest thing. If you're comfortable out there, it'll show. I try to be comfortable and react to what the defense gives me or they show me and not think about, 'OK, what do I have?' That helps out a lot."

Jennings was the fourth receiver taken in a draft class considered very weak. His small-school background might have been the reason he was selected after Ohio State's Santonio Holmes, Florida's Chad Jackson and Miami's Sinorice Moss, especially considering he became only the 11th player in NCAA Division I history to top the 1,000-yard receiving mark three times.

Despite his glowing numbers last year (98 receptions for 1,259 yards and 14 touchdowns), some scouts had doubts about his size, ability to be effective deep down the field and lack of experience playing big-time football. Most of his receptions at Western were of the short catch-and-run variety and his ability to withstand a pounding was questioned.

"I haven't taken too many hits," he said in defense of that criticism. "I never took that many hits in college. When you have football awareness, you always avoid the big hit, for the most part."

Jennings has yet to get hit on the professional level, which is one reason the Packers are waiting before they start doing back flips over his training camp performance. His first taste will be in the scrimmage Saturday night at Lambeau Field and it will continue with four exhibition games in which a bunch of hungry wannabes will be looking to take his head off.

Then comes the regular season and the guys who don't fool around.

"We've got games coming up and I'm sure he'll get a lot of work and we'll see how he reacts to that," Robinson said. "You don't know if that will change all of a sudden, if he gets game-day jitters or what. We're trying not to be too overly excited. Nobody's trying to put any pressure on him except keep trying to get better every day. That's the charge he has from us. He's responded well to it."

Jennings said the player he has watched the closest in recent years is Carolina's Steve Smith, who exploded onto the scene last year with an almost impossible to defend catch-and-run style. Smith is much more powerful than Jennings, but the rookie sees similarity in their games and hopes he can replicate some of Smith's ability.

"That's how I am," he said. "You'll soon see it. I catch the ball and I try to get every single inch I can get. There are times where you need to go down. (But) I'm not going to be one to catch the ball and just be satisfied with just catching the ball. I want to score.

"That's the object of the game, to get in the end zone on offense, and that's what I'm going to do. That's what I set out to accomplish every time I run a route. I'm going to score."

Members online

Latest posts