Jennings: I don't want a franchise tag

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Skins have some salary cap issues facing them as a result of the NFL taking away cap space. They may not be able to afford a Jennings.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami is probably a very likely destination for him if he ends up leaving in FA. They are going to have plenty of cap space, they definitely need better WRs for Tannehill, and their is the GB connection with Philbin.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is in it for the money. Dont blame him, he just wants to get paid and finish out his career.

If he wanted a contender he would stay with gb and not move his family.

H

HardRightEdge

In an NFL AM Double Coverage interview, Jennings was asked for his educated guess about whether he'll be back with the Packers next season. Jennings replied, "My educated guess? I lean to the 'no' side."

We know what history shows regarding players doubting their return.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97498&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Cory Fuller, Va. Tech

6'2, 195, runs about 4.4. Former track man...didn't play college football until his junior year when he only caught 2 passes. Breaking out as a senior; late bloomer with upside. Has a track man's burst off the line. Can stretch the field, which would be nice complement to the arsenal. He does not look like a particularly long strider...couple that with the burst, and strong route running potential is there. I like his interviews...respectful, but with an edge. We have the luxury of coaching the guy up for a year. Dorsey Levens covers the ACC, so maybe word will be sent north.

This guy is projected low-to-middle rounds right now, but has been climbing. I have a sense he'll pop at the Combine, but won't become prohibitively expensive. He resembles a young Spike Lee, which should suppress his draft status. ;)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97498&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Cory Fuller, Va. Tech

6'2, 195, runs about 4.4. Former track man...didn't play college football until his junior year when he only caught 2 passes. Breaking out as a senior; late bloomer with upside. Has a track man's burst off the line. Can stretch the field, which would be nice complement to the arsenal. He does not look like a particularly long strider...couple that with the burst and strong route running potential is there. I like his interviews...respectful, but with an edge. We have the luxury of coaching the guy up for a year. Dorsey Levens covers the ACC, so maybe word will be sent north.

This guy is projected low-to-middle rounds right now, but has been climbing. I have a sense he'll pop at the Combine, but won't become prohibitively expensive. He resembles a young Spike Lee, which should suppress his draft status. ;)
You can also check out the measurables on the guy across the field from him, Marcus Davis. Might take a higher pick than I'd like to spend though...

H

HardRightEdge

You can also check out the measurables on the guy across the field from him, Marcus Davis. Might take a higher pick than I'd like to spend though...

In the end, I think Fuller will be the higher pick.

Everybody gets excited about 6'4, 23o lb., 4.5 guys, but the rap on Davis seems to be he has problems catching away from his body. Also, looking at clips of a couple of his jumping catches, I'm not seeing the advertised 40" vertical. Evidently, some scouts project him as an H-back...I can see that. He's got more speed and quickness out of breaks than Gurley (though that's not saying much), and evidently the Pack is looking for that type, so I'd not rule it out. If Finley's gone, a guy like this could take some of those big body mismatch wideout snaps.

I might get more excited about this guy if we played in the NFC West against all those physical DBs twice per year. Boykins is a guy we might work into the rotation when we're looking at a physical match-up game.

We'll see what the All-Star games and Combine have to tell us.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers won't make an offer til he is a FA. He won't get much unless he performs well soon.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard him say it is all up to the Packers...

No it isnt...You have a choice Greg, do not lay it all on the Packers

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Heard him say it is all up to the Packers...

No it isnt...You have a choice Greg, do not lay it all on the Packers
The organization probably offered him a fair price making more money than he is now. At that point, it's Greg drawing the line in the sand and saying that it's not enough.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Jennings is painting himself as being pushed out by the Packers. Sorry Greg, but you've been making noise about leaving since TC. He's gone.
Yes, I agree. He is making it sound like he is being pushed out, when in reality he is the one that wants the big payday. IMO, they should tag and trade him. You know he's gone. He doesn't want the tag, however why not get something for him. I know it is not TT's way of doing it, but it sure would be nice to get a 3rd or a 4th for him and have some sort of say in where he is going.

I still think he should have tagged and traded Flynn, but I understand that the risk of paying a backup QB franchise money had they not been able to trade him was too great. With Jennings, I don't think there is that risk if they can not trade him. They would then have him for a year at less than he is demanding.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dark horse teams nobody is talking about about is Dallas and Chicago. I can almost guarantee you Dallas will make a play for him and Chicago will contact him with offers as well. I persoanally think he's our best wr and i'm tiered of hearing about injury concerns because Jennings has been pretty durable throughout his career until recent. Both Matthews and Nelson have hamstring issues and have missed time but i don't hear ppl talking about them.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty tired of his mouth. Seems like everytime i turn around theres another quote from him about it. Just **** and play football until the season is over. He's making Finley look like a mute right now.

Impending free agent Greg Jennings says he would consider the franchise tag a "slap in the face."

"Yes. ... Nothing good about it," Jennings said. "You don’t see Wes Welker smiling about it." Jennings' aversion to the franchise tag is understandable, but it's unlikely to even be a consideration for a Packers team with many pricey contract negotiations coming up. The 29-year-old Jennings' future is unlikely to be in Wisconsin. Dec 19 - 3:41 PM

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dark horse teams nobody is talking about about is Dallas and Chicago. I can almost guarantee you Dallas will make a play for him ...
Nah, I live in Dallas. No chance. They already have 2 WR's they love, plus the TE Witten.

Detroit & Chicago are likely leaders, also put Miami there with the ****est receivers around and with Joe Philbin there.
Sam Bradford and the Rams could use him, so could Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Jennings knows he's on the same path as Cullen Jenkins. Valued, good, not too old, but to expensive for us as we have many other great players who we need to pay, who are younger.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Good news is there are alot of guys who fit our prototype in this year's draft. Plenty of viable options

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, I live in Dallas. No chance. They already have 2 WR's they love, plus the TE Witten.

Detroit & Chicago are likely leaders, also put Miami there with the ****est receivers around and with Joe Philbin there.
Sam Bradford and the Rams could use him, so could Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Jennings knows he's on the same path as Cullen Jenkins. Valued, good, not too old, but to expensive for us as we have many other great players who we need to pay, who are younger.

Interesting because i live in san antonio and they say Dallas needs help at Wr because of MilesAustin always getting hurt and they don't have a slot wr.:cautious:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t blame Jennings for wanting to cash in and I don’t blame him for not wanting to be tagged. I just wish he’d shut up about it. And I would have thought Jennings would be media savvy enough to avoid calling the tag a “slap in the face”. The vast majority of the Packers fan base would welcome that “slap” and retire comfortably.

It looks to me like Thompson will do the same thing with Jennings as he did with Jones, only this time there will be teams interested in signing Jennings at a price the Packers won’t be willing to match (if Jennings gives them the chance). That means he’s very likely gone, just as Jones would have been if another team was smart enough to go after him. I hope Thompson isn’t thinking along the lines of Leroy - $13M/year with $26.5M guaranteed is too much for a team as loaded as the Packers are at WR. And for one with contracts for Rodgers and Matthews coming up (maybe Raji too). Not only that but Thompson and his personnel department excel at finding WRs in the draft. Even though I consider a healthy Jennings their best WR, I don’t think paying that much makes sense to keep him.

IMO, they should tag and trade him. You know he's gone. He doesn't want the tag, however why not get something for him. I know it is not TT's way of doing it, but it sure would be nice to get a 3rd or a 4th for him and have some sort of say in where he is going. I still think he should have tagged and traded Flynn, but I understand that the risk of paying a backup QB franchise money had they not been able to trade him was too great. With Jennings, I don't think there is that risk if they can not trade him. They would then have him for a year at less than he is demanding.
I too was hoping the Packers would get more than a comp pick for Flynn but all of us thinking that way over-valued Flynn. Thank goodness Thompson didn’t or the Packers would be paying Flynn a fortune to man a clipboard. Of course Thompson has made mistakes but just like the situation with Lynch in 2010, he has been vindicated regarding Flynn’s situation last off season.

Here’s the problem with franchising a player with the intention of trading him: The player has all the leverage in that situation. In order to complete a trade the player has to cooperate with the team interested in acquiring him by agreeing to a contract with that team. Jennings could refuse to do so - or threaten to refuse – and the Packers would be stuck paying him the guaranteed tag amount and have that entire amount go to that season’s cap. So IMO it only makes sense to tag a player if you want to keep him for the tag amount or use it as leverage to work out an extension. I don’t think either makes sense for the Packers with Jennings. Obviously the player doesn’t want to be restricted to teams interested in giving something up for him in a trade and then being restricted to negotiating with just that one team.

Regarding Driver, Wilde said he was a healthy inactive last game, even with Jordy out. That’s why I (and many of you) thought it was a bad idea to pay him $2.3M as the fifth or sixth WR who doesn’t play STs.

Members online

Latest posts