Jennings getting frustrated...SURPRISE

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Article about how Jennings is frustrated with not getting the ball. As he says in the article, it's hard for Rogers to hit him when he is starring up at the sky all game. Doesn't help he's dropped a few as well. You'd think Jennings would realize by now that with a cruddy O-line nothing good is going to happen for a team.
Inaction hero: Jennings wants the ball

By JASON WILDE
[email protected]

GREEN BAY – Greg Jennings stopped well short of channeling his inner Keyshawn Johnson Monday. Not once did he say, “Just give me the damn ball.”

But the Green Bay Packers No. 1 wide receiver also got his message out loud and clear. He just did it with a polite smile and a “doggone” instead.

"You’ve seen what’s going on. They know how I feel. As a competitor, I would hope they know that I want the ball,” said Jennings, who has 11 receptions for 240 yards and a touchdown, including a combined three catches for 31 yards in the Packers’ two losses. “When I’m in the meeting and I’m looking at myself (on film) running wide open and I’m not getting the opportunity, yes, I am pissed. Get me the doggone ball."

Jennings said those words with a smile. He also said he has spoken to his coaches, including receivers coach Jimmy Robinson, about his slow start, even though it’s not something he’s altogether comfortable doing.

"I’m not one to just go in (and say), ‘Can I get the ball more?’" Jennings said. "You have to go about it in a respectful way, and it’s not who I am to get outside of that. Do I get frustrated? Yes. Do I get highly upset? Yes. Do I vent to (the other receivers)? Yes. … These guys are like my (sounding) board. I can bounce things off them, and it’s like they bounce things off me. We (tend to) stay away from complaining to everybody else. We kind of let each other know how we feel, and it’s the way we get through it."

“I feel like, when I get the ball in my hands, good thing happen. Period. It’s not arrogance, it’s not ‘I better get the ball.’ It’s fact. Those are the facts.”

And who’s to argue? Last year, on his way to a career-best 80 receptions for a career-high 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns, Jennings had 25 catches for 482 yards and two touchdowns in the first four games, registering three 100-yard performances in the first four weeks.

As a rookie second-round pick in 2006, Jennings caught just one pass for 5 yards in his NFL debut but had 15 receptions for 259 yards and two touchdowns after four games.

The only year in which Jennings got off to a slower start was in 2007, when he missed the Packers’ first two games with an ankle injury and caught only 14 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns in the first four games he played. But in the Packers’ seventh game, he exploded for six catches for 141 yards at Denver, including the game-winning 82-yard touchdown in overtime.

Jennings said the Packers’ four opponents so far – Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Minnesota – didn’t do anything extraordinary to take him out of the game, either. The Bengals managed to shut him out, the first time at any level – high school, college or pro – that Jennings went through an entire game without a reception.

“They have done more, but not excessively more,” Jennings said. “It’s not much more than they’ve done in the past, or anything they haven’t done before, or anything we haven’t seen.”

Instead, Jennings said it’s been the lack of protection afforded to quarterback Aaron Rodgers that has been the main cause of his dip in productivity. Not only has Rodgers been sacked 20 times – who knows how many of those passes would have been directed at Jennings? – but he’s been under near constant pressure, throwing off the timing between Rodgers and his receivers. (To be accurate, Jennings also blamed the receivers for some of the problems, since the Packers have dropped a league-worst 14 passes this year.)

The protection problem is particularly troubling for Jennings, whose down-the-field deep routes need time to develop and require better pass blocking than Rodgers has been getting.

“I can’t be upset with Aaron. I can’t say, ‘Aaron, get me the ball.’ Who knows? He might be trying to,” Jennings said. “It’s frustrating, because we know the potential of our quarterback. He’s second to none. I’ll give you a statistic — he has one pick. One pick, and he’s been hit more than any quarterback in the league. He protects the ball pretty doggone well for going to the ground as much as he does. If he has room to play ball, the sky’s the limit. The sky’s the limit for him – as well as this team."

During Monday’s open locker room session after practice, Jennings and Rodgers spent several minutes talking in the hallway that leads to the shower. When Jennings, who signed a three-year, $27 million contract extension this offseason, emerged from their chat, he made it clear that he doesn’t blame Rodgers for his low numbers.

“Like I told Aaron, as I was just talking to him right there around the corner, it’s tough to talk to Aaron about it, because his back has been on the ground so much,” Jennings said. “It’s like when we have had plays that potentially could have gone to me – or anybody for that matter –we haven’t had the protection to run them. That’s the frustrating thing. I mean, he’s pressured so much – if we pass four times, he’s pressured on three of them at least. There’s no point going to Aaron and saying, ‘Look, I need more opportunities,’ because he’s thinking, ‘I’m trying to get anybody an opportunity.’ That’s how he’s seeing it. That’s the frustrating part.”

In the Packers’ four games, Jennings has had 23 passes thrown his direction. He was targeted on a season-high eight against Chicago, catching six for 106 yards, including the game-winning 50-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

After he was targeted on five passes in his shutout against Cincinnati – he dropped one pass and slipped and fell on another likely completion – he had just four balls thrown his way at St. Louis, where he caught two for big gains (50-, 53-yarders). At Minnesota, he was the intended receiver on six throws, catching three for 31 yards.

“To me, it’s uncalled for. There’s no excuse for that. But it’s so hard for me to voice it,” Jennings said. “I spoke to A-Rod about it, I spoke to Jimmy about it. I want them to understand where I’m coming from and not look at it as, ‘Great, here goes Greg. We’ve got a diva on our hands.’ Because it’s not like that. That’s how it comes off, as, ‘We’ve got a guy who’s turning into a selfish guy.’

“Ultimately, for me, it’s about winning. If we’re winning, if we’re 4-0 right now, and I have these (limited) opportunities, I’m still saying, ‘C’mon, I need more opportunities,’ but it’s cushioned and the blow is softened by the productivity of the team. But that’s not the case. So it’s like, ‘What’s going on?’”

Not that Jennings is above voicing his unhappiness. During the opener, the NFL Films cameras on the sideline for Showtime’s “Inside the NFL” captured Jennings hollering at Robinson about how open he was in the middle of the field. Jennings admitted Monday he’s not doing a good job of handling his frustration.

“Do I deal with frustration well? I haven’t the last couple games. I really haven’t. I really haven’t,” Jennings confessed. “I try not to let it show, but sometimes the competitive nature of a guy, you can’t help it. It happens. It’s all about how you deal with adversity, and this is an adverse time – not only for myself, but for the team. We’re 2-2. It’s not a (time for a) panic attack, but we have to get things corrected, and correct them now.

I’m going to get my job done. Now the onus is on somebody else to get their job done. To me, that’s how it works. You get your job done, you trust that the guy next to you is going to get his job done. And that hasn’t been the case. We haven’t, as a collective group, the 11 guys on the field at one time, each player has not been able to get his job done.”

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - dissent amongst the ranks - never good.

Jennings has to toughen-up mentally. He's now getting double-teamed. What did he expect? That's what happens when you become productive. Let's see how GJ deals with his first dose of adversity.

I kind of anticipated this from Jennings this year and am currently sitting pretty with Driver as my WR3 - paying huge dividends for me this year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The press allways try to make something out of nothing. I don't like that they complained publicly (He and Woodson), because doing that they throw their teammates under the bus, but when you're not winning and everybody seems happy there's usually something very wrong about it, so a little pulse is actually good, just don't overdo it a la T.O.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With G. Jennings and Woodson speaking out, it is a clear sign MM is losing the respect of his players. MM is too much of a systems coach, forgetting thats its the players who win the game.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T, because doing that they throw their teammates under the bus

Unfortunately, sometimes this is what has to be done. I've done it before (threw and was thrown). Sometimes, some people don't get subtle hints so you have to get your point across using other methods. And, it usually means more coming from the guys that rarely do it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Anyone who has ever seen Jason Wilde during his 'delivery' live would take this story with a grain of salt... even when he wrote for the Madison paper versus now being at ESPN trying to generate controversy and therefore readership.

I fail to see how anyone watching that video clip in its entirety can claim that there is ANY **** talk being laid down by Jennings...except those who need to come up with something to further their own pre-determined beliefs. If there's unhappiness being voiced, it'll NEVER come from Jennings. That kid isn't built that way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I fail to see how anyone watching that video clip in its entirety can claim that there is ANY **** talk being laid down by Jennings...except those who need to come up with something to further their own pre-determined beliefs. If there's unhappiness being voiced, it'll NEVER come from Jennings. That kid isn't built that way.

This needs to be repeated..Very well said

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is hard to find a wide open guy when your QB is running for his life or on his back!

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jennings true colors are starting to show...

He's an egotistical, me-first, Javon Walker like PUNK...

He needs to be traded NOW TT....

(That is not "Packer People" talk)

What a ****bird!:rotfl:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
It is hard to find a wide open guy when your QB is running for his life or on his back!

How much time does Aaron Rodgers need ? - I'm quite certain that if he would just use his check-downs more often ... then the O-Line would all of a sudden look ALOT better ...

Seems to me that AR may be wanting to make the "big plays" a little too much down field, and being totally "oblivious" to the shorter "safety" passes ...

Granted the O-Line needs improving, however, AR has more responsibility for that also, all though it would appear that AR can do "nothing wrong" ...

Jennings true colors are starting to show...

He's an egotistical, me-first, Javon Walker like PUNK...

He needs to be traded NOW TT....

(That is not "Packer People" talk)

What a ****bird!:rotfl:

I wouldn't say "egotistical" ... but all NFL players are competitive ... and judging by Jennings prior "history" ... I'm sure he has "vented" to his peers about this many more times prior before going "public" ...

As some other poster said, some times, when you are talking to "deaf ears", you need to change your approach ... and honestly ... judging by the interview, Jennings was still being very polite about it ... - Much more polite than he seemed to want to be ...

Buttom line ..., When things don't go as planned and the team is hurting all competitive players will be disgruntled ... - and seeing 2 players such as Woodson and Jennings, whom normally don't vent "openly" (in public), would suggest that there are more problems on that team, that needs to be addressed, than we might think ...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Granted the O-Line needs improving, however, AR has more responsibility for that also, all though it would appear that AR can do "nothing wrong" ...

90% of the people here have agreed that AR needs to get the ball out quicker. And I think your right, he really looks hard for the deep plays, but that's not such a bad thing. Being from the Buffalo area I watch a lot of Bills games, and Trent Edwards is WAY to comfortable hitting his check downs. If he threw it down field once in a while to Evans or Owens the Bills would be a dominant force in the AFC, guaranteed.

Also, I've stated earlier in a post that I noticed sometimes our check down receivers aren't even looking at AR when he needs to throw it. And that's how picks happen.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
(...) And I think your right, he really looks hard for the deep plays, but that's not such a bad thing. Being from the Buffalo area I watch a lot of Bills games, and Trent Edwards is WAY to comfortable hitting his check downs. If he threw it down field once in a while to Evans or Owens the Bills would be a dominant force in the AFC, guaranteed.
(...)

The difference being is that I truly believe Rodgers is (supposed to be) a much more talented quarterback overall than Edwards, and has already shown he can throw the "deep ball" ... However, as gifted as Rodgers (may or may not be ? - is he getting a little too much credit perhaps ?), is, the fact remains; - In my opinion Rodgers has already been given ample time to adjust and should be adapting alot better than he is currently ...

Blame it on the O-Line or what not ... Rodgers was signed a huge contract and has YET to prove that he is capable of making the transition from being talented to a "true" star player ... - Or is it perhaps Rodgers being a little too much "into" stats ? - Rodgers stats are impressive, but his results are NOT ... - I truly believe that when or if the stats starts to include sacks and fumbles alot of people would be viewing Rodgers a whole lot differently ... I'm one of those that believe Rodgers is as much to "blame" as the o-line itself is ...

Buttomline, Rodgers seriously needs to improve his "pocket-awareness" ...

(...)
Also, I've stated earlier in a post that I noticed sometimes our check down receivers aren't even looking at AR when he needs to throw it. And that's how picks happen.

I agree, but I can also show you numerous times when Rodgers check down receivers are in fact looking at him (especially in the game vs. the Vikings and also others), but some how Rodgers seems to be "ignoring" them or simply doesn't see them (which should make everyone worry a whole lot more) ...

- I think there is more to Jennings statement than just "meets the eye" ...

Either Rodgers doesn't entirely "trust" his receivers being able to "make the play" - thus not throwing unless they are completely "free", or Rodgers simply doesn't "see them" ... in which case Rodgers seriously needs to study some more ...

I honestly don't "buy" the "give him more time in the pocket" arguement ... - If you time the time before the pocket (usually) collapses and watch the check downs, - there is ample time to get the ball out ... - granted it won't be pretty or big plays, but it will be a minor gain or an incomplete nevertheless, however, those don't look good on the "stats" ...

I'm not saying Rodgers isn't a "team-player", but it wasn't that long ago that Rodgers "blamed" his o-line in public (after game 2 I think it was ...).

If you don't fully trust your o-line, how can you expect them to "make big plays" for you ? And Jennings and Woodsons statements seem to indicate that there are some "trust" (?) or confidence issues in that regard ...

Just a few thoughts ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference being is that I truly believe Rodgers is (supposed to be) a much more talented quarterback overall than Edwards, and has already shown he can throw the "deep ball" ... However, as gifted as Rodgers (may or may not be ? - is he getting a little too much credit perhaps ?), is, the fact remains; - In my opinion Rodgers has already been given ample time to adjust and should be adapting alot better than he is currently ...

Blame it on the O-Line or what not ... Rodgers was signed a huge contract and has YET to prove that he is capable of making the transition from being talented to a "true" star player ... - Or is it perhaps Rodgers being a little too much "into" stats ? - Rodgers stats are impressive, but his results are NOT ... - I truly believe that when or if the stats starts to include sacks and fumbles alot of people would be viewing Rodgers a whole lot differently ... I'm one of those that believe Rodgers is as much to "blame" as the o-line itself is ...

Totally agree with you... We are paying him too much. With that money, we could've got Randy Moss AND Haynesworth. Rodgers is a *********, only cares about stats and should be sent to California. Maybe we can trade him for Hasselback?

I agree, but I can also show you numerous times when Rodgers check down receivers are in fact looking at him (especially in the game vs. the Vikings and also others), but some how Rodgers seems to be "ignoring" them or simply doesn't see them (which should make everyone worry a whole lot more) ...

Either Rodgers doesn't entirely "trust" his receivers being able to "make the play" - thus not throwing unless they are completely "free", or Rodgers simply doesn't "see them" ... in which case Rodgers seriously needs to study some more ...

I honestly don't "buy" the "give him more time in the pocket" arguement ... - If you time the time before the pocket (usually) collapses and watch the check downs, - there is ample time to get the ball out ... - granted it won't be pretty or big plays, but it will be a minor gain or an incomplete nevertheless, however, those don't look good on the "stats" ...

I'm not saying Rodgers isn't a "team-player", but it wasn't that long ago that Rodgers "blamed" his o-line in public (after game 2 I think it was ...).

If you don't fully trust your o-line, how can you expect them to "make big plays" for you ? And Jennings and Woodsons statements seem to indicate that there are some "trust" (?) or confidence issues in that regard ...

Just a few thoughts ...
Again, totally right! People keep blaming the OL, but the real culprit is Awad! He obviously only cares about stats and not throwing ints! And not in winning. Let's get a winner on this team, that way we could really show how good our OL and RBs are, and our defense and ST will start playing a lot better, I'll tell you!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just a few thoughts ...

I agree with your analysis on this one. I think Rodgers a prototypical pocket passer - he excels when he has a pocket to step up into and becomes much less effective when protection breaks down and he must become improvisational.

I guess that could be said about most NFL QB's in general, but there are those that seem to thrive when things become chaotic, such as Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, etc. These types of guys seem to almost play better when they're forced to "think on the run" because they expose the weaknesses of aggressive defensive play.

For example, you take a look at Peyton Manning and his successes, but how many plays that he's made can you remember where his pocket collapsed and was forced to manufacture a play? I can't name many. He's continually afforded a pocket to step up into. And, Rodgers is not unlike Manning in this regard - give him time and he'll carve your defense up. The problem is that not all NFL teams have perennial All-Pro O-lines like Indy seems to be able to field.

Is it any coincidence that Tom Brady's numbers are WAY down now that he's lost his cohesive and dominant O-line? That seemed to begin in the Super Bowl loss to the Giants.

It's funny how Rodgers numbers tank when opposing defenses blitz, but Favre's numbers balloon. And, we could wait on Rodgers to possibly acquire the improvisational skills, but I don't believe this trait is learned - I believe it is ******. As a result, TT needs to strengthen the O-line with legitimate talent instead of perusing the waiver wires and using 4th and 5th round picks. Why even waste a 1st rounder on a QB when you're keen on nickel-and-diming your way to an offensive line?

I'm sure Rodgers numbers will drastically improve with Clifton's/Tauscher's return, but these guys are old. Replacements for these two players should already have been drafted. Waiting another year or two or three means writing off more seasons.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
(...)
I guess that could be said about most NFL QB's in general, but there are those that seem to thrive when things become chaotic, such as Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, etc. These types of guys seem to almost play better when they're forced to "think on the run" because they expose the weaknesses of aggressive defensive play.
(...)

Yeah, I too believe it's "in the genes" ... either you have it or you don't ... Having said that, there is also another saying:

Some men are born leaders ...
Some men can learn to lead ...
Some men just will never be leaders ...

Question is ... which category will Rodgers "evolve" (or dissolve?) into ?

Right now, I don't see a "leader" on the Packers who is willing to put himself on the line in order to get the wins, but rather a player who is playing more for "himself" than the team really ... (to put it blunt) ...

And with Jennings and Woodsons comment in mind, it would seem there is alot of "dissent" brewing in the internal ranks ...

(...)
For example, you take a look at Peyton Manning and his successes, but how many plays that he's made can you remember where his pocket collapsed and was forced to manufacture a play? I can't name many. He's continually afforded a pocket to step up into. And, Rodgers is not unlike Manning in this regard - give him time and he'll carve your defense up. The problem is that not all NFL teams have perennial All-Pro O-lines like Indy seems to be able to field.
(...)

I don't think it's a "fair" comparison to make heh ... Manning is still better at "improvising" than Rodgers is ... in my opinion ... And I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback audible more at the line of scrimmage than Manning - that to me also shows "skill" and "ability" - to read plays ...

Even so ... with the "fabled" mobility ... Rodgers should by all accounts still be able to make plays ... yet he comes up short ... I mean how much more time and "talent" does he need ?

(...)
Is it any coincidence that Tom Brady's numbers are WAY down now that he's lost his cohesive and dominant O-line? That seemed to begin in the Super Bowl loss to the Giants.
(...)

I never believed Brady to be "all that", if anyone, I think Brady is probably the most "overrated" player in the NFL ... - I credit his 3 rings more on his coaching staff and surrounding cast than him being the quarterback ...

On top of that ... - he really needs to "toughen up" ... Granted he had a frigthening experience being injured (knee injuries are always scary), however, it's starting to be ridiculous ...

- NE more than any team (in my opinion) is the proof of what can be done when you have a good management and coaching line ...

(...)
I'm sure Rodgers numbers will drastically improve with Clifton's/Tauscher's return, but these guys are old. Replacements for these two players should already have been drafted. Waiting another year or two or three means writing off more seasons.

They should ... however, even with Clifton and Tauscher being back, I suspect the Packers will only see a "slight" improvement ... and if they don't ... I wonder what "the next step" will be ... ?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oooooooooooooooooooo snapppy

but that was only up until the 3rd game..Doesnt include their match up
I couldn't find that stat... But one game wouldn't matter much. Fact is, Rodgers is way better when being rushed. He's not as good against standart pressure because his receivers are better covered, and, when that happens, guess what? THEY NEED MORE TIME TO GET OPEN!

Nobody's saying Rodgers' not to blame. But it's mainly on the OL and WR. Let's not forget the WRs. They're elite, but when they keep dropping balls and getting covered, it hurts you.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was this the post about Jennings or Rodgers? I forget. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a wide-out or QB that wasn't a prima donna at any level of football. It's just the sort of players they are. To them, not getting props for their play can be traumatic. Linemen, on the other hand, view their own play differently. They know that if they're getting noticed by the coaches, position players, fans, and press, it's not a good thing generally. Look for better things against the Lions.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh really???

Air and Space: Under pressure - NFC North - ESPN

Green Bay Aaron Rodgers Standard 24 46 242 1 0 5 74.7 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers Added 14 20 203 1 0 5 119.4

I based this off the Vikings last few opponents in which each announcer showed how Favre's numbers dropped when opposing defenses stopped blitzing.

At any rate, I was making the argument that kinda flows against conventional blitzing wisdom which shows that you go after the QB in an attempt to rattle him. In Favre's case, it is counter-productive to blitz. You are better off backing off and letting him beat you without bringing the pressure. In Rodgers' case, as we saw against Minnesota, bringing pressure ultimately spelled his, and the Packers' doom.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I based this off the Vikings last few opponents in which each announcer showed how Favre's numbers dropped when opposing defenses stopped blitzing.

At any rate, I was making the argument that kinda flows against conventional blitzing wisdom which shows that you go after the QB in an attempt to rattle him. In Favre's case, it is counter-productive to blitz. You are better off backing off and letting him beat you without bringing the pressure. In Rodgers' case, as we saw against Minnesota, bringing pressure ultimately spelled his, and the Packers' doom.
How can you keep saying that blitzing Rodgers is the way to go when the stats keep showing that's not the case? It's not the blitzes that are disrupting him. It's just the OL being beat by 4 DL! I kinda agree with Favre being better against blitzes, but it's the same for Rodgers! Rodgers IS an improviser, as shown, but he's not willing to throw the ball up for grabs!
-
You can argue, like I do, that he's not good at hitting the checkdown receiver, but you need to take into account, like I do, that he doesn't have good checkdown receivers. Nelson is one, but he has dropped too many balls. Hall is OK. The RBs are not. And the TEs haven't run the flat much.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His second year? yikes I think he will be a big time qb for the Pack. He is still learning but really I can't see anything wrong with his game and he shredded the Vikes secondary(which alot of QB's seem to do) He is a stud IMO

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His second year? yikes I think he will be a big time qb for the Pack. He is still learning but really I can't see anything wrong with his game and he shredded the Vikes secondary(which alot of QB's seem to do) He is a stud IMO
********* I have to agree with the queen over here.
He's a stud. Top 5? Not yet. But he's in his second year and is already playing at a high level, for crying out loud. When was the last time a QB replaced a legend and played as good as Rodgers? Young was the last one. How's SF doing at QB? Miami? Denver, Orton is playing well, and they had Cutler, but Orton is no answer. The Jets seems to have finally found a replacement for Brodway Joe, 50 years later...

He's in there with Rivers, Eli and Cutler. Big Ben is a little beyond them, but he had a lot of help from that D to get where he's at. Those are the guys that 5 years from now will be the standart of the league, when Manning, Brees and Brady are gone.

Members online

Latest posts