Jennings feeling lost in the offense

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another discouraging article about Greg Jennings, from jsonline. I don't like to hear him *****ing like this, even though it's pretty mild. And I have to wonder if maybe he really has taken a step back in his development. He should've made more standout plays in training camp by this point.

I'm confused by all this talk about how split end is such a thankless position to play in this offense. I know that the flanker gets more balls thrown his way, but some of our best receivers have made a name for themselves at split end. I'm thinking of Antonio Freeman and Donald Driver.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=648767

Reaction score
I remember reading in an Al Harris interview that he hardly gets balls thrown his way during practice. I also seem to recall that a lot of the TC coverage by PackersNews described how Woodson did well to play a pass intended for Driver.

Perhaps one of the reasons that Jennings has been so invisible is that Harris is covering him in practice?

Either way, I think it is a concern when your best WR (Driver) says he doesn't want to play split end after he is tried out there.

I wonder why the Packers would change something that worked so well last year (Jennings at flanker)? Perhaps having a formation of Martin at SE with Jennings at flanker and Driver at Y spots might be more productive?

Martin has displayed some deep ability that he supposedly wasn't supposed to have...

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings isn't getting open.

Rodgers is taking most of the snaps, and he can read the defense better than Favre in McCarthy's system. Favre will go ahead and risk the throw to Jennings, but Rodgers isn't gonna bother.

If you want the ball get open, or at least tell your QB.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned the explanation for all of this in the article, which is that the coaches want James Jones to learn the flanker position, including three-receiver sets, so Jennings is having to play split end all the time. Jennings already knows both positions. I would hope that as Jones gains experience the coaches can eventually shift the receivers around more freely. So maybe this is just a temporary situation.

What concerns me a little is that at some point during this training camp Jennings should've made some standout plays. Even Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holliday have made quite a few standout plays, and I don't think they're playing flanker all the time. It makes me wonder if Jennings is still bothered by that high ankle sprain or some other injury.

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
What concerns me a little is that at some point during this training camp Jennings should've made some standout plays. Even Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holliday have made quite a few standout plays, and I don't think they're playing flanker all the time. It makes me wonder if Jennings is still bothered by that high ankle sprain or some other injury.

Coach McCarthy, our WRs coach, and Jennings himself all eluded to how Greg was going to be more consistent later in the year now that the injury had healed. For that reason, I think that injury pretty much healed.

I don't think there could possibly be any other injury, as there hasn't been any indication of that and I would rate our medical staff quite highly.

I'm a bit curious about why the coaches haven't done more to try and get Greg going.

Perhaps they have tried here and there, and it hasn't been successful. But surely trying some more to kick start Jennings would be a worthwhile effort.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Jennings even play last night? I don't remember seeing him and I know he didn't get any balls. I hope they involve him a little more in games 3 and 4.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers' gameplan is absolutely ridiculous, not involving a player like G. Jennings. This has to change, Jennings can turn a 2 yard pass into a 90 yard TD, get him the ball.

Now we have at least three good receivers though, Driver, Jennings Jones. Carlyle Holiday isn't too bad either.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did Jennings even play last night? I don't remember seeing him and I know he didn't get any balls. I hope they involve him a little more in games 3 and 4.
Brett threw him one pass, it was tipped or bad throw.

Reaction score
The Packers' gameplan is absolutely ridiculous, not involving a player like G. Jennings. This has to change, Jennings can turn a 2 yard pass into a 90 yard TD, get him the ball.

That is true.

McCArthy said he wasn't disappointed in Jennings play, because Greg didn't get any opportunities.

He also said that Jennings will get the ball (thrown to him more) so let's just hope he's using this unproductive time as motivation.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
here AADP ..... it is a rope a dope... show off Jones in the preseason so teams focus on him. Teams already know about Driver... so Jennings will get single coverage when the games matter:)

Maybe ?????

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here AADP ..... it is a rope a dope... show off Jones in the preseason so teams focus on him. Teams already know about Driver... so Jennings will get single coverage when the games matter:)

Maybe ?????

With 3 pretty good receivers it's going to be hard for any team to double-team someone without exposing the rest of their D.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think James Jones is outperforming him right now. I think James Jones could quietly be the #2 WR come opening day. Jennings does not have it locked down. With that said, Jennings has no reasons to worry in my opinion. You need 3 solid receivers to be somewhat successful through the air. I think we've got 3. I like the fact that Jennings is upset. I think he's more frustarted with himself and i really don't see him putting the blame on anyone else. He'll come around.

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it has nothing to do with my fellow WMU alumni greg's performance, its all about the position hes playing. he's playing the "X" position that robert ferguson was forced to play for a few years. hopefully they'll gameplan more with him in mind to get him his touches. also once james jones knows the system better, u might see greg moving around to different wr positions like last year.
thats the biggest difference from last TC to this TC, is that this year he's played a big majority of his time in the X position while last year he was able to move around. even driver said he wouldnt play the X position anymore. in 3 wr sets, the x position is on one side by itself, while theres three other receivers on the otherside (two WR's one TE or RB)
so greg is the last of the qB's progressions when in three WR sets.
jones is gonna do wonders as the 3rd WR, but u put him where jennings is, and u'd see him become more invisible too.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, packers04. If you are the last guy in the QB's progression you are not going to be getting many passes thrown your way.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup and only a humble, real team player would accept a role like this. I think Greg will do good here and will work hard.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now we have at least three good receivers though, Driver, Jennings Jones. Carlyle Holiday isn't too bad either.

Relax Bert. The game plan is not rediulous. They spread it around and got the ball in a LOT of different players hands. In this game it just did not happen to be Jennings.

Favre goes to the guys he can trust and he will go to Jennings. He's been a guy Brett can rely on. When it counts during the regular season you can bet Driver and Jennings will get a steady dose of Favre's throws.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They know what he can do......they need to see what Jones can do.
Jennings will get plenty of chances when the games count!

Reaction score
I saw a couple of times where a third WR lined up next to Jennings, so he wasn't the split end anymore.

Even though it was a run play, I was glad to see some consideration of trying to get Gregorious going.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a huge Greg Jennings fan. With that said, I wonder what is really going on. It seems something changed after his injury, maybe he came back too soon, or what have you, but he just hasn't quite flashed that playmaker ability that he did early last season (and last preseason). Sure, he needs to get the ball, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not as though he is a truly proven superstar like Driver, Javon Walker or Sterling Sharpe (for example). He was a rookie who showed signs of brilliance.

But I'm hoping the injury didn't cause him to lose a step, perhaps even just from a mental standpoint. That happens, a player starts to worry about making cuts or re-injuring the ankle.

Anyway I'm hoping for the best. I want him to be a stud. But maybe he just needs more development. This article is not what I was hoping to read just two weeks before the season opens :(

Members online

Latest posts