JENKINS MULLING EXTENSION

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JENKINS MULLING EXTENSION

Green Bay defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins is mulling whether to accept a four-year contract extension from the Packers or accept being tendered as a restricted free agent.

Jenkins has been offered a deal worth approximately $16 million, according to a source. That includes roughly $7 million in guarantees. The deal is not a premium offer because of injury concerns. Jenkins has a chronically bad ankle and has had a shoulder injury during the first three years of his career after being an undrafted free agent.

Although Jenkins might opt for the security of the deal, the flip side is that it could quickly become outdated with the expected growth of contracts around the NFL. That could leave Jenkins underpaid by the third and fourth years of the deal.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree take the contract. If you're any good at all, this is the place you will want to be because you're going to get a chance to play and prove your worth.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may need to look no further than his brother Kris. After a ProBowl year, Kris had back to back years on the IR before finally getting a full year in this season. That is $7 mill in guarantees that may not be around if he gets hurt 2 years from now. With the Packers putting him more and more in the spotlight (by playing him at DE on early downs), he should be able to cash in even more in 4 years -- if he stays healthy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
He could get more money elsewhere.

If I was him I wouldn't take it.

He either takes the contract or the Packers could tag him. He could come back for one year making 'X' number of dollars, get hurt, and be done forever. The contract offer is fair for both sides....he should definitely take it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 mil in guarantees is a very fair offer. Of course it’s always better to test the market but he’ll have to wait for next year because Green Bay is sure to slap a 1st round tender on him if he doesn’t accept this offer and nobody will give up a 1st for Cullen Jenkins.

Reaction score
Porky, I think a second may be more wise.

Surely no one would be willing to give up a second rounder for Jenkins, who has had injury problems and has performed well starting in only 1/4 of a season.

Also, TT has a good history with second round picks and I get the sense that there won't be much drop off between the later picks in round one vs some of the talent available in round 2.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen was UNDRAFTED

Personally, I think a player who was UNDRAFTED and was given a chance owes something to the team that gave him a shot. He does not owe that team a living, but owes that team something and I think based on his injury risk he might owe the Packers a YES on this contract offer.

Now, one can argue that he made it and the team had nothing to do with it, but I beg to differ. I think in life we owe something back to society or people who gave us an opportunity.

Otherwise it is just like an adopted child *****ing about what is on the table for dinner.

It is a fair offer, and way more for his family than he would have had if the Packers had cut him in camp, because as an Undrafted cut he may have never got another chance.

Raider Pride

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Porky, I think a second may be more wise.

Surely no one would be willing to give up a second rounder for Jenkins, who has had injury problems and has performed well starting in only 1/4 of a season.

Also, TT has a good history with second round picks and I get the sense that there won't be much drop off between the later picks in round one vs some of the talent available in round 2.

I don't think anyone gives even a 3rd rounder for him to be honest but you never know. To ensure he stays in Green Bay I think a 1st round tender is the best move. If your going to offer him 7 mil in guarantees then 2.5 base salary (somewhere around there I think) isn't bad for one year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Cullen was UNDRAFTED

Personally, I think a player who was UNDRAFTED and was given a chance owes something to the team that gave him a shot. He does not owe that team a living, but owes that team something and I think based on his injury risk he might owe the Packers a YES on this contract offer.

Now, one can argue that he made it and the team had nothing to do with it, but I beg to differ. I think in life we owe something back to society or people who gave us an opportunity.

Otherwise it is just like an adopted child *****ing about what is on the table for dinner.

It is a fair offer, and way more for his family than he would have had if the Packers had cut him in camp, because as an Undrafted cut he may have never got another chance.

Raider Pride

The adopted child analogy doesn't work for me. People adopt children out of the goodness of their hearts, for the most part. Teams sign players because they hope the players will help them win. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. I do think it should weigh into Cullen's decision that the Packers gave him a shot, but it's only one of many factors. After all, Jenkins has worked his tail off to put himself into the position of deserving a pretty good contract.

Having said that, it does sound like a good deal for him, and I hope he takes it.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins salary was $425K last year. That was his highest paid year.

The 7 million guaranteed is over 16 years worth of his previous salary.

The 16 million over 4 years is full value of his contract is worth over 37 times last season's salary or an annual increase of over 941%.

At DE Strahan makes 7.2 mil(single season sack record, pro bowl etc.) KGB's cap # is 5.4 million.
At DT Pickett's cap # including incentives is 4.9 million
Rod Coleman in Atlanta is 4.4 million

Compare with Pro Bowl player Aaron Kampmann's 4 year 21 million deal last year with nearly 11 million guaranteed at this link.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=407991

Tell your boss that you don't want 9 times the salary you were paid last year.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=570383

"The problem is how does someone who is a restricted free agent say no to $6.8 million today, or $10.2 million over two?" said Cary Fabrikant, one half of Jenkins' negotiating team. "He'll get 16 (million) over four. There are so many what ifs (if he doesn't take the deal). Cullen only loses three years of unrestricted years."

Jenkins would have hit the market as a restricted free agent Friday, and the Packers would have had a choice of four tender offers to make, each with a different level of compensation attached to it. More than likely, they would have offered $1.8 million, which would have required other teams to give up a first-round pick were they to acquire Jenkins.

The Packers would have had the right to match any offer he received.
The agent says it is a problem to turn it down???
It costs Jenkins 3 years of free agency??
The negotiators for Jenkins did a good job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts