Jenkins Discussion

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are only 3 positions that need to be filled. As was pointed out already, those positions can be filled regardless of injury. Last year was a good example. As was also already pointed out, the Packers won all 5 games Jenkins missed last year. Ryan Picket missed 5 games in 3 years. We can't assume anything about Neal, yet. He was a rookie and he wasn't a starter. He played two games. Better training habits could help him. Jenkins however missed at least 17 games the past three seasons. That seems a big difference.

Now as for money, I don't care what Philadelphia paid him. This is what he expected to get from Green Bay; "If the Packers had tagged him, Jenkins would have cost about $12 million for 2011. But they didn’t, and since Jenkins believes the Packers have no interest in a long-term deal, he’ll look elsewhere for a new team and a new contract."

Ah, but Green and Jenkins are 32 and at that age the injuries become more frequent. Green because of his weight can't take all that many snaps. Neals shoulder injuries scare me. The fact we won without Jenkins needs to be looked at in terms of a lot of things including opponents and health of other team members at the time.

The Packers didn't tag him but they could have resigned him when it appeared things were drying up in the market. The fact Ted didn't sign him has nothing to do with salary cap or his age as you have mentioned. As pointed out Pickett and Green are both older. Ted decided to go in another direction for better or worse.

Someone commented his sacks came when he was playing DT in the Nickel. I think at least some came from when he was a DE in the 3-4.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ah, but Green and Jenkins are 32 and at that age the injuries become more frequent. Green because of his weight can't take all that many snaps. The fact we won without Jenkins needs to be looked at in terms of a lot of things including opponents and health of other team members at the time.

The Packers didn't tag him but they could have resigned him when it appeared things were drying up in the market. The fact Ted didn't sign him has nothing to do with salary cap or his age as you have mentioned. As pointed out Pickett and Green are both older. Ted decided to go in another direction for better or worse.

Someone commented his sacks came when he was playing DT in the Nickel. I think at least some came from when he was a DE in the 3-4.

Can you prove financial considerations and age had nothing to with it?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Nope but the reports are that Ted decided to go in a different direction. Can you prove it was??

So you definitively say the finances and age had nothing to do with it, but you admit you have nothing to back it up. We demonstrate report after report where finances and age are the points, yet you won't accept them. I guess there you have it.

OP
OP
13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you definitively say the finances and age had nothing to do with it, but you admit you have nothing to back it up. We demonstrate report after report where finances and age are the points, yet you won't accept them. I guess there you have it.

Your opinion isn't proof. Funny you want me to provide proof when I asked you to provide me proof regarding your comment about Wolf and the salary cap. Oh Well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The fact Ted didn't sign him has nothing to do with salary cap or his age as you have mentioned.
You are of course entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts. You can believe Thompson did not consider the salary cap or Jenkins' age if you like but IMO you err when you present your belief as fact. Regarding the salary cap, it is at least plausible - and I think it is likely - that Thompson considers the salary cap consequences of every contract he offers to players. Not only with regard to how a contract impacts the cap but as I mentioned above, how it affects contract extensions he's planning for the current cap year and future years' extensions.

Pickett and Green are 32, Woodson is 34 and Driver is 36. The presence of those players on the roster does not prove (or make it a fact that) Thompson did not take Jenkins' age into consideration when he decided not to extend his contract. In addition to cap and cash considerations, I think it is likely he took into account Jenkins' age in combination with his injury history. But I can't present that as a fact because like you, I can't get inside the mind of Ted Thompson.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Did you bother to click on any of mine? Mine were current not back to February which btw I've already presented an argument to.

Interesting reposte. You don't think Jenkins comments after the Super Bowl and Thompson's actions have nothing to do with this. Huh.

I'm coming close to violating the rules of this board. That's not something I've done before that I can recall. But it's like trying to reason with a brick. I read links and read thoroughly in a discussion. If you need help with the big words in some of the ones I posted, maybe someone can help you. Or wait till you get back to school in September and ask your teacher.

But one last link since you brought up Wolf in the previous post. "Wolf, 62, said he couldn't muster up the energy and enthusiasm to continue to fight against the salary cap, war in free agency and joust with agents. And so he decided to leave the team to head coach Mike Sherman," That link is from an article by Peter King.

OP
OP
13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting reposte. You don't think Jenkins comments after the Super Bowl and Thompson's actions have nothing to do with this. Huh.

I'm coming close to violating the rules of this board. That's not something I've done before that I can recall. But it's like trying to reason with a brick. I read links and read thoroughly in a discussion. If you need help with the big words in some of the ones I posted, maybe someone can help you. Or wait till you get back to school in September and ask your teacher.

But one last link since you brought up Wolf in the previous post. "Wolf, 62, said he couldn't muster up the energy and enthusiasm to continue to fight against the salary cap, war in free agency and joust with agents. And so he decided to leave the team to head coach Mike Sherman," That link is from an article by Peter King.

You already have violated the rules. I mean go back to school in September? C'mon man. As the saying goes when one can't win an argument then they result to personal attacks.

But to answer your post which I'ved tried to do civilly, do you think the situation in February was the same as July. Do you think that because they didn't give him a tender they could no longer sign him? The Green Bay Press Gazette says they could have had him for the bargain basement price of $5 Million. In sports people kiss and make up all the time.

Your link about Wolf says nothing about what you posted. First you erroneously posted that Wolf didn't have to operate under a cap when he did. Then you said things were different then. I asked you how. Your current link provides no proof of that, just that Wolf was frustrated having to operate under one. Do you think that perhaps a guy that didn't have to operate under a cap for so many years couldn't quite come to grips with it?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You already have violated the rules. I mean go back to school in September? C'mon man. As the saying goes when one can't win an argument then they result to personal attacks.

But to answer your post which I'ved tried to do civily, do you think the situation in February was the same as July. Do you think that because they didn't give him a tender they could no longer sign him? The Green Bay Press Gazette says they could have had him for the bargain basement price of $5 Million. In sports people kiss and make up all the time.

Your link about Wolf says nothing about what you posted. First you erroneously posted that Wolf didn't have to operate under a cap when he did. Then you said things were different then. I asked you how. Your current link provides no proof of that, just that Wolf was frustrated having to operate under one. Do you think that perhaps a guy that didn't have to operate under a cap for so many years couldn't quite come to grips with it?

Yeah, well the mods can do with me as they please. But you once again misrepresent what I originally said about Wolf. You are a "he said, she said" type poster. (Someone else said it first and they were right.) I said Wolf didn't operate under the same cap rules as TT. There, I bolded it, now is it clear? I also demonstrated in links that the cap evolved.

I ask if you read the links and you said something like "did you read mine?" I take that as a "no I didn't read the links", because you didn't answer the question.

I'm just going to place you in the category of those TT haters who could never accept the whole Favre thing either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm relocating this whole discussion with 13 Times Champs about Jenkins and all else to a new thread. And I'm not copying the entire thing because it's too extensive, and the point has changed at least 13 times since the original point.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Well, at least the whole "should we have kept Jenkins" debate has been something new compared to the last few years. I mean, Favre's name wasn't even used for the first few hundred posts!

That's progress!!!! :happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts