1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

jenkins article from the report

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by stump5454, Jun 29, 2005.

1. stump5454

stump5454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :D I really do feel this guy could be really good. I hope he can play d-end on first and second. And I mean play it well. :eek:

Fresher Jenkins will be more effective

Cullen Jenkins By Todd Korth , packrepted@aol.com
    Date: Jun 28, 2005

For Cullen Jenkins, this off-season has been a godsend, a time to physically rejuvenate himself.

Jenkins reached the top of the football world last season by playing in NFL Europe, then scratching and clawing against other linemen in training camp to win a roster spot with the Green Bay Packers as a free agent.
    For any football player, especially for a defensive lineman, it was a long haul that began in March with NFL Europe and ended in January. Toward the end of the season, he was sluggish and worn.

2. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    What's with the Rison photo?

I have great hopes for Cullen as well - he's got the moxey - let's see if his energy level can keep pace!

3. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I was wondering the same thing.

4. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    and what the heck is Rison looking at in that picture?!?

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was suprised to read of Jenkins weight. He looked smaller than that last year.
    I did like that he was the only one who got any push up the middle on passing downs.
    No complaints on Jenkins.

Good guy for an undrafted free agent.

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Cali...great point. If we get push up the middle we will win football games. KGB will have twenty sacks if qb's can't step up into the pocket to avoid his rush. I'd like to see Jenkins stay in the middle and create some havoc with his quickness.

7. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The thing you have to remember about KGB is that he's really weak against the run and virtually only has one move. Now that has served him well at times, but he's pretty much just a pass rusher and if they only have to use them there, he could have an incredible year.

8. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No Way would I use Jenkins at DT anymore.He is way to small to plug the gaps and by putting him in the middle you neutralize his speed.Put him at the end opposite KGB and let them rush the hell out of the QB in passing situations.If we can get Jackson,Kampman ,Hunt, Washington,Peterson, Lee or whoever to consistently plug up the middle and force the action to the speed it would be great.The LB's will also have to not overpursue like they did last year.

I think Jenkins could be a force on the outside and am excited about seeing him there

9. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    No pyle, we need the push up the middle. Popinga can rush from opposite KGB on obvious passing downs.

10. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No Andre Rison in 96, No Packer "Super Bowl" win in 96. It's that simple!

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with CaliforniaCheez: Jenkins looked smaller than 294 to 298 last year. I like Bates' plan for him, as long as there is another good rusher opposite KGB on the outside, which is still a big question.

12. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    So what was Desmond Howard - a bus boy?
    Back the truck up a bit.....

13. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe he's watching himself catch the ball on the Jumbotron :wink:

Back to Jenkins though. I sure hope some of these young D-lineman like Jenkins, Williams, and Washington step up. We desperately need them to with Jackson's fragile knees and Hunt's inability to give 100%.

I really liked Jenkins' effort last year. Hopefully a rested and more experienced Jenkins can step it up even more this year.

14. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it only Cullen Jenkins that is losing weight and training hard in the off season? Aren't there a couple of other DTs on the Packer D-line that could use shedding a few pounds and picking up some speed?

15. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah Obi One, Some guys like Kampmann and Jenkins really take their jobs seriously and have a passion for it. They maximize what talents the Lord has given them.

Why are guys like these those who play hurt like Brett Favre fan favorites? They have a passion for the game.

Hunt has done Bates a favor by staying away. The young guys are energized and believing. I like Jenkins.

16. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's great to see a guy who works hard and tries hard, like Cullen, doing well. It would be wonderful for him to have a monster season. Maybe some of the others would take note. It would also be nice to have few of our second and third year players step up. We've been drafting mostly for D since MS came here, now would be a good time for them to come through.

17. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of using a large quick player like Jenkins as a DE for the first 2 downs. They can contain a bit more of the run plays and blow by the TE. As long as the middle can hold and we can have two penetrating DE's, we actually may give the QB less than 10 seconds to throw the ball, or turn around a run.

18. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly - then comes the good ol' third & long and we all know what happens then...