Jay Glazer reports that Favre has asked to be traded

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then Brett should have spoken with Thompson instead of the media, he made a TO decision.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
What makes you think Thompson didn't speak to Brett?

The above article says that McCarthy was the one phoning Brett when he got the news.

Also, Brett did not imply that he has spoken to Ted in his interview with the Biloxi Sun.
Sounds like Brett had just as much info on the situation as TT. If he was really wanted the Moss deal, he should have went up to TT and spoke his mind before the draft. It's not the GM's job to go and check with every player before making a move. However, I see no reason why a team leader should stay silent if he wants a certain move to occur.

In the end, I doubt it matters. TT won't survive this season given Favre's comments. Regardless of how good a GM TT may turn out to be, if you go against Favre in GB - you will lose. Even if it's a 71-rated JP Losman clone at age 38 who is simply chasing records.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet a team would seriously overpay with a draft pick for him.

I love Favre, but come on. He just joined a rather ignominious group of players by behaving this way. He's basically ******** on his entire team. How would you feel to be a WR catching a ball from him now, knowing that you being out there on the field and not Moss made him want to leave the team, and knowing that everybody else follwing the NFL knows it too.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

The above article says that McCarthy was the one phoning Brett when he got the news.

Also, Brett did not imply that he has spoken to Ted in his interview with the Biloxi Sun.
Sounds like Brett had just as much info on the situation as TT. If he was really wanted the Moss deal, he should have went up to TT and spoke his mind before the draft. It's not the GM's job to go and check with every player before making a move. However, I see no reason why a team leader should stay silent if he wants a certain move to occur.

In the end, I doubt it matters. TT won't survive this season given Favre's comments. Regardless of how good a GM TT may turn out to be, if you go against Favre in GB - you will lose. Even if it's a 71-rated JP Losman clone at age 38 who is simply chasing records.

You know, that's a pretty disrespectful statement. Shame on you

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, way to make James Jones and Clowney feel welcome Brett. IMO, a better argument could be made by Driver:

"I'm disappointed the Packers couldn't go out and trade for a top QB like Trent Green. If we had a QB capable of throwing more TDs than INTs and having the accuracy to not hang WRs out to dry on crossing patterns, we might field a fully healthy WR group and put up some huge numbers. Instead, we are stuck with Brett - I want out of here."

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles said:
Bertram said:

Favre has done a ton for the Packers in his career, but he has been holding them in pergatory going on three seasons now. At some point we have to move on as an organization. And, if Brett comes out and makes comments like this, it makes that decision even easier.

There was a Green Bay Packer team before Brett Favre and there will be one after him. We have been suffering through some below average QB play for 2-3 seasons now out of loyalty to Brett. And, how does Brett repay that loyalty? Demanding a trade.

On one hand from 03-05, we are supposed to wait patiently each offseason on him making a decision to come back. On the other hand, we're supposed to go all out after questionable moves for the longterm health of the Packers so he can have better numbers.

I'm just tiring of Brett Favre being bigger than the Packers - especially since 2003 when the performance of Favre would have led to the QB being tossed out from any other NFL team had his name been John Smith.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Arles said:
Bertram said:

Favre has done a ton for the Packers in his career, but he has been holding them in pergatory going on three seasons now. At some point we have to move on as an organization. And, if Brett comes out and makes comments like this, it makes that decision even easier.

There was a Green Bay Packer team before Brett Favre and there will be one after him. We have been suffering through some below average QB play for 2-3 seasons now out of loyalty to Brett. And, how does Brett repay that loyalty? Demanding a trade.

On one hand from 03-05, we are supposed to wait patiently each offseason on him making a decision to come back. On the other hand, we're supposed to go all out after questionable moves for the longterm health of the Packers so he can have better numbers.

I'm just tiring of Brett Favre being bigger than the Packers - especially since 2003 when the performance of Favre would have led to the QB being tossed out from any other NFL team had his name been John Smith.

Is Ted Thompson bigger than the Packers? Thats what you are saying.

Brett has done more for GB than TT EVER EVER WILL. Brett wants to win, i'm sorry that bothers you. I'm sorry you are fine hopping along at a snails pace through 8-8 seasons and off-seasons where TT sits on his F'in hands, so MAYBE one day we can see the playoffs.

It's sad that out QB wants to win more than the guy running the show. Brett's had enough, and I don't blame him.

Reaction score
If he was really wanted the Moss deal, he should have went up to TT and spoke his mind before the draft.

If Brett says that he offered to reduce his cap number so Ted could give Moss the signing bonus that Moss wanted, I have to think that Ted would be aware of this, and should have realized this meant that Brett REALLY wanted Moss.

Ted didn't get Moss, which is a decision he is paid to made. He didn't get him for whatever reason. He should have let Brett know the benefits of not getting Moss, and why James Jones and Clowney will still improve the O.

When you're franchise player indicates he wants a player, you try and decide not to get the player, then you should communicate with your franchise player to make sure you two are on the same page.

From what Brett said, I took it to mean he and Ted aren't on the same page, and that is what I have a problem with. When Brett starts wondering if Ted is trying to push him out the door subtly, that is bad for us because we need Brett to focus his mind on football, not conspiracy theories.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Foxsports is the only organization reporting this. We should wait and see if there's any truth to it before we start the Packer Civil War chats again.

Just a recommendation for intelligent debate: don't minimize this conflict to SIMPLY one between Brett Favre and Ted Thompson. There's more too it than that. You do a disservice to yourself and the franchise you supposedly love when you dumb it down.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre, as well as the rest of the Packers, deserve to have their GM put togeher the best team possible. On this board alone people have been screaming to find a replacement for Ahman and to find another receiver and a tight end. To get one of those would have shown some interest in improving this team, to have done nothing makes me wonder. I feel for Brett because as he said, he is in the last years of his career, perhaps the last one. He also knew that with some additions this team might be good enough to make another run at the Superbowl. I believe you could have done that without jeaopordizing the future of this team.

Now let me say this about Brett. If you're going to spout off you damn well better be at all the camps and the OTA's. You can't spout off and then not do what you need to do to be ready to play. You owe it to your teammates to be there, studying the play book and getting to know the young players you're going to be throwing to.

The words are out there and it's going to either force Ted to try and make some moves, or it's going to force Brett to try and win with rookies and young players again.

The shame of this all is that Brett will forever be marked by this. How people view him will forever be changed.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will NOT be at the first camp. It has already been confirmed on his own website. Not because of his anger but because his ankle. Also, he is not needed since the oline is returning and no major changes are being made. He will have plenty of time to adjust to the minor changes at the second camp

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre, as well as the rest of the Packers, deserve to have their GM put togeher the best team possible. On this board alone people have been screaming to find a replacement for Ahman and to find another receiver and a tight end. To get one of those would have shown some interest in improving this team, to have done nothing makes me wonder. I feel for Brett because as he said, he is in the last years of his career, perhaps the last one. He also knew that with some additions this team might be good enough to make another run at the Superbowl. I believe you could have done that without jeaopordizing the future of this team.

Now let me say this about Brett. If you're going to spout off you damn well better be at all the camps and the OTA's. You can't spout off and then not do what you need to do to be ready to play. You owe it to your teammates to be there, studying the play book and getting to know the young players you're going to be throwing to.

The words are out there and it's going to either force Ted to try and make some moves, or it's going to force Brett to try and win with rookies and young players again.

The shame of this all is that Brett will forever be marked by this. How people view him will forever be changed.

I don't think this tarnishes his image at all. Brett's a tough SOB and he is fed up, as many people are, with Ted wacking his unit and not improving this team. To me, this is just Brett being Brett and speaking up for what the majority of people feel

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is indeed the leader of this team, he should be at camp whether he can do anything or not. It's his job.

Reaction score
Favre will NOT be at the first camp. It has already been confirmed on his own website. Not because of his anger but because his ankle. Also, he is not needed since the oline is returning and no major changes are being made. He will have plenty of time to adjust to the minor changes at the second camp

Definitely.

Last year we had an entire new scheme being put in place. It isn't important for Brett to be there.

If I'm not mistaken, Harris and Woodson will also not be showing up. Harris prefers to stay and workout at Florida, while Woodson also prefers to workout at home.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is indeed the leader of this team, he should be at camp whether he can do anything or not. It's his job.

He already said he will be there but not participating. Neither will A-Rod

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

He already said he will be there but not participating. Neither will A-Rod

According to his website and his personal pilot, he will NOT be at the first camp, unless he changes his mind.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Ted Thompson bigger than the Packers? Thats what you are saying.
No, as I've said in other threads, TT will probably be gone if GB doesn't continue to improve. In fact, I'd be shocked if TT is back for the next offseason if GB finishes under .500.

Brett has done more for GB than TT EVER EVER WILL. Brett wants to win, i'm sorry that bothers you. I'm sorry you are fine hopping along at a snails pace through 8-8 seasons and off-seasons where TT sits on his F'in hands, so MAYBE one day we can see the playoffs.
In regards to TT, I've just been saying to give him a chance (ie, 3 offseasons). The 07 season will be his third shot and we'll see how this team does.

It's sad that out QB wants to win more than the guy running the show. Brett's had enough, and I don't blame him.
Brett Favre wants to win more this season, he could care less about 08 or 09. In fact, if you could severly hamper this team from the 09 season on to go on a 1-2 year run, Favre would be first in line. As a GM, however, TT has to look long term and maybe his feeling is Moss isn't the right guy to add to the young WRs (Jennings, Clowney, Jones, ...). Maybe he has his eye on a different vet or thinks one of the young guys is the answer at the 3rd spot.

I don't know nor do I neccessarily believe TT's ideas are correct (I definately want one more vet at WR). I am just saying he has (or should have) a much different perspective on the Packers than Brett.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well maybe now they'll take Keyshawn Johnson to make Favre a little happier. :rotflmao:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Favre asked to be traded

Brett didn't deserve this.

Favre turning on the fans, and Brett didn't deserve this?

thats an odd perspective.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Favre asked to be traded

If i were Favre, i would be really pissed off too. Being promised that Green Bay is NOT rebuilding and then knowing they ARE. Countless times TT and MM have told Favre that they are going for a playoff run or SB run. Favre even said in an interview last year that if GB was rebuilding, that he wanted to be told so he could retire or be traded. I know Favre is the most popular GB player right now, and making GB lots of money with merchandise and ect.. but you cant pull your fan favorite and drag him in the dirt with you.

Favre is not asking for more money, he is not as bad as other players, TO and Branch and so on wanted basically more money than the team wanted to pay. I will still watch Favre on another team. But rebuilding, your team grows with each other, and A-Rod should be in there growing with them.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers made Brett Favre. If he hadn't come to Green Bay he would have remained a no name. They aren't dragging him into the dirt, ridiculous.

If Favre took his job seriously we would probably have had a QB that still was more than average.

Latest posts