Jay Cutler - QB - Vanderbilt

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is going to climb into the top 5 by the time the draft rolls around. From what I have read, his intagibles are better than Young or Leinert. If he is there at the 5th pick, I believe the Oakland Raiders would be a prime candidate to be fleeced. Somehow someway, Cutler is going to affect the Packer's draft. TT might even be thinking of drafting him!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say this but he has been compared to........Brett Favre. Gunslinger, unsound mechanics, fire in his belly, leader.......It would be a huge gamble for TT to draft him, but if you're sold on him, go for it!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rex Groosman was supposed to be the next BF too (according to Wolf, I believe). I do like the upside to him a lot more than Rodgers, but how many hyped picks have done nothing?!?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
musccy said:
Rex Groosman was supposed to be the next BF too (according to Wolf, I believe). I do like the upside to him a lot more than Rodgers, but how many hyped picks have done nothing?!?

Every draft seems to have the 'next brett' and I've yet to see it happen. People think Brett Favres grow on trees or something i guess.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like Michael Jordan, there will never be another Brett Favre. Professional athletes like these come around once and.....well, once.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many starting quarterbacks in the NFL came from colleges that did as bad as Vanderbilt did this year? I'm not sold on this guy as a 1st rounder at all, much less top 10.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a quick skill evaluation of Cutler from NFL Draft Showcase.

Analysis
STRENGTHS: Size, Escapability, Toughness
WEAKNESSES: Mechanics, Decision Making
NFL COMPARISON: Marc Bulger, Rams
Cutler and Bulger have similar builds. They both also have good arms, but their gunslinger's mentality leads them to make their share of throws they shouldn't. Neither are outstanding runners, but show good presence and manuverability in the pocket.

SCOUTING REPORT: Cutler has the tools to play at the next level. His college production and track record are more difficult to evaluate than that of other top QB prospects because he did not have a great supporting cast. His physical skills however, speak for themselves. He has great size and is a strong player. He has a good muscle base and an tall frame. Mechanically, he has to work on a couple things. He holds the ball low on his drop back (chest-level) and his release needs to be rasied as well. Cutler has had more passes batted down than he should and that can be attributed to his release. Holding the ball low on dropbacks as well as dropping it to his hip when rushed exposes it to rushers and also causes wasted motion in his throws. He has good natural arm strength and can throw the ball from many different angles. His passes have good zip and he can fit the ball into tough spots. He has the arm to drive the ball downfield, but his deep balls tend to hang and flutter too much. In general, he must do a better job of setting his feet and really driving the ball on all his passes. His footwork in the pocket though, is very good. He shows good ability to feel the rush and slide around it. He can make plays with his feet and while he isn't blazingly fast, he is difficult to sack. He can throw on the run, but will make some questionable decisions when flushed outside the pocket. He must learn to live to play another down. Accuracy wise he is solid and getting better with time. He throws the ball particularly well on crossing routes as he leads his receivers and allows them to make plays after the catch. Going along with that though is anticipation. Cutler must learn to anticipate and time routes better rather than waiting for his receivers to break and then releasing the ball. Part of his turnover problems are due to him staring down his first read for too long and releasing the ball late. As he progresses, he must learn to manipulate the defense with his eyes and come off to his check downs quicker. As a field general, Cutler has had to be the leader and the main man on some undermatched teams. He is a player with high character and high football I.Q. which bodes well for his future.

These evaluation of skills tend to be very critical of players. It seems the reason Vandy didn't have a very good team this year is due to lack of support players, not Cutler himself.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I had this discussion with a friend and he was saying that he didn't know a single starting quarterback in the nfl that didnt go to a bowl game in their last year of college and so we looked it up and after quite awhile we found the only one, Matt Hasselbeck, and he was a 6th rounder. I would just be a little wary of picking this guy in the first round. Although if he gets enough hype and is available at the number 5 pick, and the dolphins, who ive seen as drafting him in every mock draft, get us some more draft picks, it could be a very positive thing.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why that scouting report compares him to Marc Bulger. The description sounds like Brett Favre, especially in his younger years. If he jumps into the top five, that would be great for the Packers, though I wouldn't want them to take him. I can't believe Thompson would give up on Rodgers before he's even had a chance to prove himself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts