Javon On Rome Is Burning

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers: Walker goes national with his complaints

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, May 20, 2005

News
Packers' wide receiver appeared on ESPN's "Rome is Burning" on Thursday to explain why he believes he deserves a new contract despite that two years remain on his rookie deal. Not only did Walker state that he wants a new contract, he also stated that he "should be paid as one of the top five receivers in the league." The three-year veteran also hinted that he's not opposed to holding out of training camp. "That could be a possibility," Walker said. "I'm thinking, hopefully, we can get something worked out. As of right now, we'll just take it one day at a time and see what happens." Walker finished last season with 89 receptions for 1,382 yards and seven touchdowns.

Views
The Packers have yet to make a counter the pitch made by Walker's agent Drew Rosenhaus. And it's hard to blame the team given that Rosenhaus requested a contract that would pay his client more than Raiders' receiver Randy Moss. It's too early to lose sleep over Walker's holdout, but this situation has the potential to get ugly and extend into training camp.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker has been filled with so much **** his eyes are turning brown. Let him sit- for 2 years if neccessary. He was over paid the first 2 years, but he or his agent won't bring that up. He is not a top 5 reciever, period. Maybe a top 10 IF,IF he has another good year this year. Hold tight Pack.

Ludders86

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like walker and the Pack is better with him but if he's gonna be an *** let him walk! He'd probably come crawling back like Trotter did when he had no luck in Washington

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Rome did a awful job with that interview. He didn't ask or comment on anything he should have.

When Javon was talking about how if he gets a contract redo ten other players would come knocking on the door. He was saying he is being a leader and basically showing them the way to go about it. Like he's a friggin saint or something. He totally misperceived what Mike Flannigan was eluding to.

Now Rome is supposed to be this guy who is 'tough' and asks the difficult to ask questions. Why not blast him on this? Call him out? Say something to the effect of, perhaps your teamates aren't being selfish and instead are waiting for their organization to compensent them.

There's a lot more that should and could have been said. I'd love to interview that little selfish third person talking concieted *****. I'm ashamed I used to consider him my favorite Packer. I can't remember a more immature idiotic player who is this naive to facts.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's really upsetting is all the time and effort the coaches have put in to help him develop as a reciever. The returns on his part the first two years were well below the investment. Now that he's at a decent level, he wants to forget all about those two years of **** returns. Javon seemed like a good person at first, I question that now. Good people don't just forget about people that helped them.

As for misunderstanding Flanigan, that is not hard to understand coming from somone with an eight on their wonderlic score. Those are also the type of people Rottenlouse like to prey on, as their thinking can be swayed easily. :puke:

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon better have got paid well to show up on rome is burning, because the way it looks he wont be getting any pay from the Packers any time soon! Hell if he holds out he will be paying the packers. Bet this boy doesn't have the money to start paying back that signing bonus the Packers gave him up front. If the Packers stand strong on this... you can bet he will be back a week or two after money starts coming out of his pocket.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent Postings guys. We are all on board together with our opinions on Walker. As an long time Packer fan, I am impressed with the posters on this Packer Forum. I like this forum, it is the best because of serious football poster, no smack. The Packers will let Walker sit, and if he shows up at Training camp and does nothing during training Camp . In other words, he becomes a distraction, (He shows up just to show up.) Walker should be suspended and fined by the Packers. And escourted by Packer security out of June mini camp and Training camp until he get this Rosenhaus foolishness out of his system, and honors his Contract. Then he will get his big payday. It can be no other way

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt. #84 will be back in camp and we will need to forgive and forget. Walker deserves the money; however, he has to do it at least one more season. It shouldn't be hard for him to figure this out even if he's scored an 8 on the Wonderlic. My wish is that if he continues to hold out that one of the rookie WR's comes around and turns some heads. Any news on those guys we drafted?

Roadrunner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile the offensive coordinators need to immediately begin practice with a number of new offensive strategies, which Javon will need to learn in order to play. Increase his 'value' and self-esteem.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ludders86 said:
I like walker and the Pack is better with him but if he's gonna be an *** let him walk! He'd probably come crawling back like Trotter did when he had no luck in Washington

This guy is an amazing player, he's improved to one of the best offensive players in the league, but we can't have him act like this, and we can't give in to his demands. His escapade on Jim Rome's show was an embarassment. I hope we get him back and all is well but my patience is wearing thin

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
His escapade on Jim Rome's show was an embarassment. I hope we get him back and all is well but my patience is wearing thin

I'm still peeved about it. Rome dropped the ball, Walker left soo many comments up there for him to be jacked up on and Rome said nothing, didn't slam him once and he's supposed to be this Queen of Smack or some crap. ARGHGHHGHHGH!!!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well it was pre-taped...so he couldn't actually confront him on camera, but he could've at least commented on them instead of pretending he didn't hear Javon be as non-chalant as you can get about the situation...

"I am out."

Jim Rome has zero charisma. somebody lost a bet when he got a show.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
well it was pre-taped...so he couldn't actually confront him on camera, but he could've at least commented on them instead of pretending he didn't hear Javon be as non-chalant as you can get about the situation...

Pre taped or not, what does that have to do with him dropping the ball on asking the 'tough' questions? Or am I not following the point you're making.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wanted to make sure you knew i wasn't giving Rome a free pass.

my statement wasn't confusing at all. you shouldn't have a problem following it.

i wasn't even disagreeing with you...so relax.

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of (probably unwanted) points here.
1. Why do Packer fans (and fans of other teams) constantly talk about the team as "us", "we", etc. Good grief, my wife owns a Chevy truck (which she loves). Still, I have never heard her denigrate GM workers who want more money, especially taking the attitude that "We (as in GM and her) should take a stand agaiinst this kind of nonsense!" This is simply an issue of labor (Walker) wanting more from managment (the Packers). Why are so many people lining up with management?
2. After reading comment #1, I'm sure a number of people will now shout "He signed a contract!" True. And so far, he has lived up to that contract. Last year, he exceeded the contract. And, it could be argued, he went beyond the bounds of the contract to improve hihself as a player. How many of us were extremely happy when he hired a personal trainer, underwent intensive workouts during the off-season, and even endured Lasik surgery on his eyes? This was NOT in the contract. At this point, he is asking to be paid for an exceptional performance with a (primarily) running team. Still, we hear the criticism as if this money were coming out of our pockets! Its not- at least not as directly as a tax.
3. Following up on point #2, where does the money come to fund pro football? Mainly from corporate sponsorships and advertising (especially on television). Now, to be consistent, one would have to root for corporate sponsorship of NFL teams (since they are "footing the bill"). So, how many people on this board would sell the "naming rights" to Lambeau Field? Oops- sorry if I caused some consternation out there. The idea of the Packers playing in (for example) "K-Mart Stadium" has a deleterious effect on my system :puke: .
4. So, what is the point? That football is a business. I know, you all realize this is true- yet, after Grey Ruegamer played above and beyond his abilities last year, the Packer organization rewarded him by cutting him, and then re-signing him for a reduced salary. I didn't hear howls of outrage at this (perceived) injustice. Still, here the company (the Packers), in effect, said to an employee that had done his best, and, I believe, exceeded expectations: "Thanks a lot. Here's a pay cut for all your hard work."
Walker might be young, and he may or may not know what the intricacies of the business are- but, by gosh, he knows that this is a business, and if he doesn't cash in now, there will not be a "thank you" bonus at the end. :twisted:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ricky: It's the holdout that has made the fans angry. Walker is hurting the entire team by holding out, and he's doing it with two years left on his rookie contract. Also, the money for player salaries all comes from the same pool, which is limited, and the Packers max it out every year, so essentially Walker is just asking for a bigger share of the pie, to the detriment of other players.

I agree that what happened to Ruegamer kind of stinks. But with Flanagan coming back, they can't pay starter's money to a backup. Again, there's only a certain amount of money for salaries, and it's a question of how to divide it up.

As for fans referring to their team as "us" or "we," that's because football means a lot to us. We feel like the team represents us on some level. It's sort of like people talking about our country's history and using those same terms, e.g., "The British attacked us in 1812 but we fought them off." Technically, it wasn't "us" who were attacked, especially those like me whose ancestors didn't cross the ocean till the twentieth century, but we identify with our country because of shared values. I know in a way it seems kind of silly, but there's a very real connection there. It's the same with being a sports fan sometimes.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Why do Packer fans (and fans of other teams) constantly talk about the team as "us", "we", etc. Good grief, my wife owns a Chevy truck (which she loves). Still, I have never heard her denigrate GM workers who want more money, especially taking the attitude that "We (as in GM and her) should take a stand agaiinst this kind of nonsense!"

the car metaphor is a poor one...let's be serious, whats a GM worker's signing bonus look like? im not even going to get into that. thats a pretty upsurd comparison to make don't you think? a millionare vs. a thousandaire?

This is simply an issue of labor (Walker) wanting more from managment (the Packers). Why are so many people lining up with management?

He signed a contract!! hehehe...

2. After reading comment #1, I'm sure a number of people will now shout "He signed a contract!" True. And so far, he has lived up to that contract. Last year, he exceeded the contract. And, it could be argued, he went beyond the bounds of the contract to improve hihself as a player. How many of us were extremely happy when he hired a personal trainer, underwent intensive workouts during the off-season, and even endured Lasik surgery on his eyes? This was NOT in the contract. At this point, he is asking to be paid for an exceptional performance with a (primarily) running team. Still, we hear the criticism as if this money were coming out of our pockets! Its not- at least not as directly as a tax.

well, you can't really exceed a contract. are you saying he makes less money than recievers who performed at the same level or worse than him last season? how can i put this delicately...tough ****. a tear in my eye and in my beer. the main issue here is the prematurity of the holdout. with 2 years left on his contract the ball is simply not in his court. Green Bay knows how much he'll miss those game checks. the fact is, this is an idle threat. in my opinion, it seems like he's bringing attention to his salary for next year more than this year...but what the hell do i know.

3. Following up on point #2, where does the money come to fund pro football? Mainly from corporate sponsorships and advertising (especially on television). Now, to be consistent, one would have to root for corporate sponsorship of NFL teams (since they are "footing the bill"). So, how many people on this board would sell the "naming rights" to Lambeau Field? Oops- sorry if I caused some consternation out there. The idea of the Packers playing in (for example) "K-Mart Stadium" has a deleterious effect on my system .
4. So, what is the point? That football is a business. I know, you all realize this is true- yet, after Grey Ruegamer played above and beyond his abilities last year, the Packer organization rewarded him by cutting him, and then re-signing him for a reduced salary. I didn't hear howls of outrage at this (perceived) injustice. Still, here the company (the Packers), in effect, said to an employee that had done his best, and, I believe, exceeded expectations: "Thanks a lot. Here's a pay cut for all your hard work."
Walker might be young, and he may or may not know what the intricacies of the business are- but, by gosh, he knows that this is a business, and if he doesn't cash in now, there will not be a "thank you" bonus at the end.

i dont think loyalties to the players or the front office are neccesary for a fan. they both have to function together...fans realize this. im ignorant on the whole Grey situation. if it went down like you said then he definately got shafted, but why didn't he shop his talent around the league? was there not any interest? either way that would be a case where the front office did a little dirt. shame on them.

better?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
i wasn't even disagreeing with you...so relax.

lol don't flatter urself :)

I jus don't understand how the show being taped has anything to do with Rome not asking the tough questions. That is all.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I jus don't understand how the show being taped has anything to do with Rome not asking the tough questions. That is all.

noooo...Javons little celebrity interview part was pre-taped, thats why Rome couldn't personally confront him.

when i said "it was pre-taped" i didn't mean the entire show. my bad.

Members online

Latest posts