Jason Wilde adds new light to Packer/Brett drama

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
ESPN Milwaukee - Play Now

9-29 pod cast

the 27 minute one

about 8 mins in is when it starts

Said base reasons for Brett not a Packer on other things, not on Teds ego..Then goes on to explain why Ted's ego was not the reason why Brett is gone..

pointed out that on June 20th when Brett called to officially say he wanted back was the day after OTAs ended.. Why pick that day? That right there says to me at least, he didnt want to do all the off season things.

Mike McCarthy didnt want Brett to come back...TED DID

Jason also blames Ted for things, so dont think it is all just p/c crap in favor of the Pack

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone was wrong on it and I don't think we will get the complete and whole truth on it for at least another decade when Brett, TT, and MM all write books. It may not even be that soon as I can see all of them continuing in some way in the NFL.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've always thought that it was McCarthy that wanted to move on moreso than Thompson ... but Thompson, like Wolf, would give the coach the players he wanted within reason.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought that it was McCarthy that wanted to move on moreso than Thompson ... but Thompson, like Wolf, would give the coach the players he wanted within reason.

It's fairly obvious to me that MM was anxious to get his protege on the field. After all he's the QB genuis right? He's praised for his annual QB school so no doubt he wants to have Aarron Rodgers as case-in-point to validate his work.

I'm also certain that from a coach's perspective it's no fun having a veteran player or two trying to unintentionally or otherwise undermine your progress with 40 other players with less than 2 years with the team.

It's TT's job to have the best players possible on his team so it doesn't surprise me that Wilde goes on about TT wanting #4 back as late as June of '08. Realistically who gave GB a better chance to win? Rodgers in his 1st year starting or the QB who just played for you in the conference championship?

I'm still not convinced that the team didn't wish for #4 to have surgery on his arm in the '08 off-season & he declined, believing that it would weaken his advantage over the younger, healthier Rodgers come training camp. Hence the line from his retirement speech "I know I can play but I don't think I want to" takes on new meaning if playing in GB meant mandatory surgery. Pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Doug, my theory runs on a different tangent - though just slightly.

I'm thinking that if McCarthy wanted #4 gone, it would have been because #4 didn't make the decisions in the manner that McCarthy wanted them made. Not an ego thing about proteges and stuff like that The interception at the end of the '07 NFC Championship game for example - and plenty of film from other playoff games after '98 as well. If a HC feels that his QB isn't executing his offense ... who could blame the HC for wanting a QB that plays with his head versus one who will just 'wing it' so to speak. Even when #4 played for the Packers, the pundits would excuse poor decision making as "Well...you LIVE and DIE with #4....." or somesuch, I was paraphrasing there.

Now, I do recognize that if the Giants' kicker had made one of two or three that he missed prior, we wouldn't even be having this discussion since the game would never have gone to OT ... but the fact is that it did go to overtime and #4 threw an ill-advised pass, when another receiver was open down the middle. I can understand McCarthy's anger IF that was the case. We don't know what was called ... did #4 check down at the line ... did he go through his progressions properly? ... we can't know and McCarthy isn't going to talk about that and frankly, it doesn't matter now.

A lot of things we don't know and as someone else said, we won't know until the books come out, and they will. ...but, as it sits ... what got the Packers where we see them today, has had little to do with whether or not #4 was/is under center. Last year, chalk it up to a defense that was nowhere to be found (and I'm still not sold on this new version with shiney wheel covers and stuff) ... this year, so far... it's the O-line. Blame Thompson for not getting O-lineman and you're accurate...these guys can't pass block, nor run block -- last year, nor this year ... but, you sure can't blame the play at QB thus far, that much is for sure. I'm one of those guys who watches the play develop at the line, I don't even know who has the ball until they unpile... I love line play - and it just ain't there...the talent, I mean... I'm pissed that Thompson, like Wolf, thinks that O-lineman are interchangeable and disposable.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm thinking that if McCarthy wanted #4 gone, it would have been because #4 didn't make the decisions in the manner that McCarthy wanted them made. Not an ego thing about proteges and stuff like that The interception at the end of the '07 NFC Championship game for example - and plenty of film from other playoff games after '98 as well. If a HC feels that his QB isn't executing his offense ... who could blame the HC for wanting a QB that plays with his head versus one who will just 'wing it' so to speak. Even when #4 played for the Packers, the pundits would excuse poor decision making as "Well...you LIVE and DIE with #4....." or somesuch, I was paraphrasing there.

Now, I do recognize that if the Giants' kicker had made one of two or three that he missed prior, we wouldn't even be having this discussion since the game would never have gone to OT ... but the fact is that it did go to overtime and #4 threw an ill-advised pass, when another receiver was open down the middle. I can understand McCarthy's anger IF that was the case. We don't know what was called ... did #4 check down at the line ... did he go through his progressions properly? ... we can't know and McCarthy isn't going to talk about that and frankly, it doesn't matter now.

A lot of things we don't know and as someone else said, we won't know until the books come out, and they will. ...but, as it sits ... what got the Packers where we see them today, has had little to do with whether or not #4 was/is under center. Last year, chalk it up to a defense that was nowhere to be found (and I'm still not sold on this new version with shiney wheel covers and stuff) ... this year, so far... it's the O-line. Blame Thompson for not getting O-lineman and you're accurate...these guys can't pass block, nor run block -- last year, nor this year ... but, you sure can't blame the play at QB thus far, that much is for sure. I'm one of those guys who watches the play develop at the line, I don't even know who has the ball until they unpile... I love line play - and it just ain't there...the talent, I mean... I'm pissed that Thompson, like Wolf, thinks that O-lineman are interchangeable and disposable.
I think you're dead on.

In the end MM thought ARod would give the team a better chance to win than Favre would. Favre spent the entire 2007 season taking care of the ball, but in the end Favre made a poor decision, with the pocket formed, with 2 receivers open, both Grant and Lee were a step further than their defenders (tought both had a late release), but he went with the longer pass. It was a great play by Webster, but nonetheless a bad decision.

My take is that still Favre would give us a better chance to win in 2008, even thought Rodgers played tremenduosly well, simply because Favre had more experience.

I do think not attending Minicamps and OTAs had some influence on his decision, as well as having a separate locker room, but the major point was that he thought with Favre having the tendency to sling it, ARod would give him the better chance to win.

Of course, this doesn't alter the fact that Brett Favre had actually retired, and that they had already made the decision to give Rodgers the starting job, before Favre chose to come back.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi

Very well put. I totally agree

Members online

Latest posts