Jason Spriggs to IR

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's sad we have to consider him as "depth". Not really a finished product and clearly not suitable to step in for a long stint.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Spriggs will either rehab, work his tail off for the next 11 months, and show up to training camp a much stronger, more refined player... or he will be quite the bust.

Glad to hear that Bulaga is practicing. Hopefully Bakhtiari will be soon to follow, but having one starter back will be big on its own. They can give help to one side. It's fairly typical/routine to need to account for one weakness on the line. Two is debilitating. Ideally, Murphy won't even need much extra help.

Sky King

Reaction score
If Spriggs has a bright future in the NFL then sitting for a season may help the injury but not do anything for the learning curve. He needs reps. If he finally makes headway it will be cause for celebration. I'm hoping that he does.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL guys hardly ever start their first years unless drafted to do so. he wasn't. please remain calm.

That's not really an excuse, is it?

If he's not ready to play at a decent level, then he shouldn't be on the depth chart.

Sky King

Reaction score
Unfortunately, with only a single EP snap under his belt this season, next year may end-up being his true second year. He'll be a year behind where the team really needs him to be, especially if the original plan was to have him replace Bulaga when that time comes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least Spriggs being injured and finally being placed on IR, serves 2 purposes. One, it opened up a roster spot, which should have been open at the final 53 man cut down. Two, it gives TT the ability to say "yeahhh, that was just bad luck, a guy with a real promising career, cut short by injuries."

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far Spriggs doesn't look good, but he's the type of guy you take a chance on.

OL with his intangibles almost always succeed. Sometimes guys just don't work out, but TT is pretty money when it comes to drafting OL. Hard to complain too much.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So far Spriggs doesn't look good, but he's the type of guy you take a chance on.

OL with his intangibles almost always succeed. Sometimes guys just don't work out, but TT is pretty money when it comes to drafting OL. Hard to complain too much.

I guess I view it the other way, right now. Nothing tangible or concrete to get too excited about, unless you are basing your excitement off College Film and what he "should be capable of".

Also, if the Packers were "taking a chance" on a guy, seems like the wrong time of the draft to spend 3 picks on a guy they weren't sure of.

This has been debated before, but for now, nothing has changed my opinion of Jason Spriggs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I view it the other way, right now. Nothing tangible or concrete to get too excited about, unless you are basing your excitement off College Film and what he "should be capable of".

Also, if the Packers were "taking a chance" on a guy, seems like the wrong time of the draft to spend 3 picks on a guy they weren't sure of.
When was the last time a player was in the draft you could be sure of? Every player you take a chance on, they all have some level of risk.

Watch the preseason game again against Denver if you want to see hope. There were plays he shut down Von Miller. He is a very gifted player who if he becomes more consistent, can be one of the best in the NFL. Yes, that is absolutely worth trading up in the 2nd with 2 other picks to roll those dice.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
When was the last time a player was in the draft you could be sure of? Every player you take a chance on, they all have some level of risk.

Watch the preseason game again against Denver if you want to see hope. There were plays he shut down Von Miller. He is a very gifted player who if he becomes more consistent, can be one of the best in the NFL. Yes, that is absolutely worth trading up in the 2nd with 2 other picks to roll those dice.
Soooo...how many picks is that in total? :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Soooo...how many picks is that in total? :D

Ohhhh gawwwwd....let's not go THERE again! LOL

I hope Spriggs turns into a future HOF Tackle (For the Packers). But as of today, the needle on him is leaning more towards bust then stud. I agree with you Amish, nobody is a sure thing in the draft, but I think from the jump, Spriggs has shown more signs of being a bad pick than a good one. If that makes TT a target of criticism in the future for a bad move in the 2016 draft, than so be it. Had Spriggs been a 5th or later round pick, nobody would really care, but he wasn't.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is that even if he does turn out to be a bust, there were still valid reasons for taking him. It's not like he's devoid of talent and potential.

Sometimes players just don't make it. Like I said, TT is pretty good at drafting OL. Busts happen to everybody. Even Ozzie, even Belicheck.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say, is that even if he does turn out to be a bust, there were still valid reasons for taking him. It's not like he's devoid of talent and potential.

Sometimes players just don't make it. Like I said, TT is pretty good at drafting OL. Busts happen to everybody. Even Ozzie, even Belicheck.

Right, but would we be "true fans", if we didn't comment on busts or potential busts? I think some people, not pointing fingers at you, mistake fan conversation or venting of their frustrations about things such as this, as those fans saying "TT is a flipping idiot and I could do so much better". I for one don't feel that way, but it won't stop me from talking about failed or successful picks. Just part of the dialogue of being a fan.

Ok, now back to Dom Capers and Jeff Janis. :coffee:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but would we be "true fans", if we didn't comment on busts or potential busts? I think some people, not pointing fingers at you, mistake fan conversation or venting of their frustrations about things such as this, as those fans saying "TT is a flipping idiot and I could do so much better". I for one don't feel that way, but it won't stop me from talking about failed or successful picks. Just part of the dialogue of being a fan.

Venting is fine. I have no issue with it. At some point though, people do need to be realistic. I think being fans of a very successful team, we struggle with that.

Anyways, I think I'm explaining myself poorly. I'll try again. When it came to drafting Spriggs, TT has a very specific player model that he follows for OL. So far, it has been quite successful. So to me, I'm looking at the process of taking Spriggs more than anything else, if that makes sense. I agree with the process of it, players in this model are by and large, highly successful. So TT thought he could get a very good LT in the 2nd. So far, it hasn't turned out. Which sucks, but the process was still correct.

Long story short, so far Spriggs hasn't worked, but if a player that had the same physical attributes + tape came around again, I would have no issue repeating what we did here.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What JanisJ said. And . . .

To put in the parlance of your nom de plume, If you play pocket aces heads up and you are all in preflop, it wasn't a mistake. Even if you lose.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What JanisJ said. And . . .

To put in the parlance of your nom de plume, If you play pocket aces heads up and you are all in preflop, it wasn't a mistake. Even if you lose.
Not sure I would equate every move TT makes as going all in with pocket Aces' but he does like to play his pocket deuces on occasion. ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

In his defense, it's hard to tell the difference when there's a whole thread dedicated to how the Packers need to wipe out TT/MM because the Rams are 2-1.

Members online