Jared gets 3 year deal

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Despite his injuries, Abby is still fighting the fight and I think the Packers definitely see something in him. I am looking forward to seeing him on the field soon, where his speed, ability to run routes, get open and make the tough catches may pleasantly surprise some fans.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite his injuries, Abby is still fighting the fight and I think the Packers definitely see something in him. I am looking forward to seeing him on the field soon, where his speed, ability to run routes, get open and make the tough catches may pleasantly surprise some fans.

I wonder if he will move past Janis on the depth chart. Janis has played well on ST, but hasn't shown anything on offense yet.

Too bad, out receiving corp could use a speed guy.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Janis get some catches,but at this point he is out there as a body in some of our wide receiver sets when one of the other receivers takes a breather. I just don't think Janis has gotten the NFL game "upstairs" yet. He almost made a costly mistake on ST's when he stepped on the receiver's foot after the receiver signaled for fair catch. I like the kid,but I really think if Abby stays healthy he will surpass Janis on the WR depth chart. Just my opinion though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought there were still too many questions to make a commitment.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to Janis, it's still early, but I don't know that the kid will ever get it.
I've read comments from a couple of scout/personnel guys who don't consider him more than a "straight line guy".

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to TT and our organization, I think WR is one position we should trust when it comes to making WR decisions. Our track record at the WR position is great.

#Trust

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that was an extension

Might be semantics, but he goes from a one-year to a three year contract. However, being all league minimum doesn't say a whole lot about either his or the Packers' long-term positions.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to Janis, it's still early, but I don't know that the kid will ever get it.
I've read comments from a couple of scout/personnel guys who don't consider him more than a "straight line guy".

There were scouts and personnel guys who thought that Clay Matthews would never make it as an OLB and that Jordy Nelson would never be more than just a guy. Take their assessments with a grain of salt.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be semantics, but he goes from a one-year to a three year contract. However, being all league minimum doesn't say a whole lot about either his or the Packers' long-term positions.
I see it as a "We are going to take a huge risk by committing to your development, we need more 'return' in order to justify the risk."

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were scouts and personnel guys who thought that Clay Matthews would never make it as an OLB and that Jordy Nelson would never be more than just a guy. Take their assessments with a grain of salt.

They're right a lot more than they're wrong; it's why they're NFL scouts and personnel guys. And as to their assesment so far of Janis, so far they're right.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they have him locked up for pennies if he works out. If he can't produce they can trash his contract with little consequence. I've always been a TT fan but the WR position is the only one that I have blind faith in the man. If he sees the potential then I'll believe that he made the right choice. Of course, it's all still up to Jared to prove it. This is the season. There are two top WRs playing for us right now and it's a contest for the third spot until Adams gets back. Abbrederis, Janis, and Montgomery all have an equal chance to seize a role on this team. The time is now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're right a lot more than they're wrong; it's why they're NFL scouts and personnel guys. And as to their assesment so far of Janis, so far they're right.
IMO, they are right more often than the average fan which is why they are in the NFL. However, I don't think they are right more than they are wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Janis get some catches,but at this point he is out there as a body in some of our wide receiver sets when one of the other receivers takes a breather. I just don't think Janis has gotten the NFL game "upstairs" yet. He almost made a costly mistake on ST's when he stepped on the receiver's foot after the receiver signaled for fair catch. I like the kid,but I really think if Abby stays healthy he will surpass Janis on the WR depth chart. Just my opinion though.
I agree, and I have no doubt that if Abby stays healthy, he passes Janis rather quickly. I think it's obvious this staff likes him and the work he puts in, but if he can't stay on the field it's all for nothing. But if he does, I think he will get opportunities from the coaches and from his QB to make plays. I don't think Janis is anything more than a body out there, though I can see his straight line speed being used in certain situations. But I don't forsee Rodgers relying on him in any sort of close situations.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, scouting reports can sometimes be misleading:

What NFL scouts told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn before the draft about quarterback Aaron Rodgers:

Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who's in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he's going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can't say that. I'm not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Depends, some scouts really are wrong more than they're right. Green Bay doesn't draft or sign players that Green Bay doesn't think could be good or even great players. So who do you trust more the Super Bowl winning Packer organization, one of the most respected teams in the league in terms of player evaluation or some nameless scouts? I'm not dismissing them completely, but I take their analysis with a healthy dose of doubt.

EDIT: changed offense to organization, prior wording didn't make sense.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cherry pick much, guys? So let's recap. NFL scouts and personell people are no better or more knowing then average fans. There's a lot of pissed guys out of the NFL who don't have jobs because barely more competent than average fans scouts recommended far lesser players for the jobs.
Ted Thompson, himself a scout and pro personnel guy, is an only slightly better than the average fan bum because he's been wrong before, and well, because he's a lifelong scout and personnel guy.
I really don't know where else to go with this.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curly, at the time every one of the concerns about Rodgers were quite valid.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cherry pick much, guys? So let's recap. NFL scouts and personell people are no better or more knowing then average fans. There's a lot of pissed guys out of the NFL who don't have jobs because barely more competent than average fans scouts recommended far lesser players for the jobs.
Ted Thompson, himself a scout and pro personnel guy, is an only slightly better than the average fan bum because he's been wrong before, and well, because he's a lifelong scout and personnel guy.
I really don't know where else to go with this.

You're attacking straw men. Do you understand what "With a grain of salt" means? It certainly does not mean dismiss the argument. Analysis, especially from anonymous persons should always be viewed with skepticism. This is especially true when a team with a winning history actually evaluated a player positively. We have proven guys with proven track records who liked Jeff Janis for a reason. I'm inclined to give the Packers organization the benefit of the doubt in most of these.

Seriously if you're going to craft arguments like this get out.

Members online

Latest posts