Janis??

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why aren't the coaches getting this guy coached up to get him in the line up? It would be great to get more speed on the field going into the play offs and also to help them on special teams. Speed kills but yet I haven't seen them get him in there. Bokyn looks slow and unproductive, they could make up some plays and run some 4 wideout sets to create mismatches but I'm not seeing any creativity at all from this coaching staff. Make the defenses defend more speed, it will help your running game too. Just a thought.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My guess is he still doesn't know the playbook well enough. Boykin has had very few chances but IMO he's a long shot to make next year's roster at this point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If speed was everything the Raiders would have won a few more SBs and Al Davis would have been GM of the year most years.

A WR who runs the wrong routes is going to cause INTs and can be a bigger detriment.

D

Deleted member 6794

Receivers don't get on the field in Green Bay without knowing exactly which routes to run at all times and making adjustments when Rodgers starts scrambling (although it didn't look that way yesterday).

We have no idea how far Janis is in his development but it seems Rodgers and the coaching staff don't trust him.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to break into those ST units to get playing time as a 4th WR

Janis probably at disadvantage with knowing playbook and special teams.

Packers ST is not up to par this year. Boykin has had some good plays/tackles on ST, so replacing him with Janis probably makes things even worse.

Trying to recall you got activated for Bears game and put on STs that week.. then blew their lane assignment giving Williams his 101 yard kickoff return. I could see the same playing out with Janis on ST.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what is wrong with Boykin. He went from promising to a dumpster fire in 1 year. He is on the hands team and blocked that one punt this year which i don't know if Janis is capable of doing. I think I would rather see Boykin sent to IR and Myles White activated to take his spot. Janis would be cool to see at WR and KR but dressed roster spots are very important. I wouldn't mind seeing him run some simple deep routes vs the tampa 2 teams just to stretch the field and widen the middle. It would be hard to screw that up and run the wrong route. ....but then you have to factor in audibles and the hand signs.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis probably at disadvantage with knowing playbook and special teams.

Packers ST is not up to par this year. Boykin has had some good plays/tackles on ST, so replacing him with Janis probably makes things even worse.

Trying to recall you got activated for Bears game and put on STs that week.. then blew their lane assignment giving Williams his 101 yard kickoff return. I could see the same playing out with Janis on ST.
Was it goodson? He has been active for 4 games now and looks like he over runs his lane assignments.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no idea how far Janis is in his development but it seems Rodgers and the coaching staff don't trust him.

Packers WRs had 7-8 drops yesterday.

Unsure how trusting Rodgers was with many receivers other than Nelson/Cobb yesterday, 25 of 38 targets were to either Nelson or Cobb. No one else had more than 4.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers WRs had 7-8 drops yesterday.

Unsure how trusting Rodgers was with many receivers other than Nelson/Cobb yesterday, 25 of 38 targets were to either Nelson or Cobb. No one else had more than 4.

Yesterday's game is a terrible indicator for the talent level of the Pacjers receivers. I haven't seen a worse game out of the group in a long time.

H

HardRightEdge

Receivers don't get on the field in Green Bay without knowing exactly which routes to run at all times and making adjustments when Rodgers starts scrambling (although it didn't look that way yesterday).

Right. And it's not just knowing the playbook per se. Playing WR involves reading the defense and choosing the best option in the route. This involves being on the same page as the QB, seeing what the QB sees, going where the QB expects you to go. Then there's the art of freelancing...when the play breaks down and the QB is on the move the WR needs to find the open spot available. Whether one wants to call it quick and effective mental processing or "instincts" is a matter of terminology.

There is a lot more art and lot less science to the process than most fans would acknowledge.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's not true. Have you watched Adams the past 3 weeks? He's been lost most of the time. He looks like he's hit his rookie wall and he needs to push through it.

You're right. You have no idea about where Janis is. But we do know that the Packers haven't dressed 5 WRs very often the past 2 seasons, so someone has to sit.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not true. Have you watched Adams the past 3 weeks? He's been lost most of the time. He looks like he's hit his rookie wall and he needs to push through it.

Adams had 121 receiving yards (most in a single game by a Packers rookie since Sterling Sharpe) just three games ago vs. the Patriots being an important factor in the Packers win. In addition rookie WRs haven't had a lot of success since Rodgers became the starter but Adams leads all rookie WR in receptions, receiving yards and TDs for the Packers since 2008 (a group that includes Nelson and Cobb).

You're right. You have no idea about where Janis is. But we do know that the Packers haven't dressed 5 WRs very often the past 2 seasons, so someone has to sit.

Once again, if Janis would be better than Boykin he would play

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Then there's the art of freelancing...when the play breaks down and the QB is on the move the WR needs to find the open spot available. Whether one wants to call it quick and effective mental processing or "instincts" is a matter of terminology.

There is a lot more art and lot less science to the process than most fans would acknowledge.
This is so true. Some guys have a better natural feel for this than others. For guys like James Jones it had to be learned and yet he still sometimes failed in this aspect of the game because he was not an instinctual player. Imo Cobb is better at this than Nelson, and Jennings was good on breakdown plays as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, I see... so experience means nothing?
Of course it means something. He didn't say it didn't. Experience, chemistry, ability, speed, hands, route running, smarts, etc all has a role in the production of a WR. Thinking experience is all important is as silly as those thinking speed is all important.

Another piece of the puzzle is potential. I bet there are players who the Packers think will get really good with more experience. Although there is a player who is currently better, they feel the other player is maxed out. Perhaps they would give more play time to the player with more potential, considering the long term implications on the team.

Reaction score
I remember thinking the same thing about Starks during our SB run.. I watched his college film quite a bit when we drafted him and he went later rounds than he should have because of lingering injury issues. Pack got a steal on him. He moved up the depth chart due to injury on GB that year at RB and was a relative unknown going into the playoffs.. and tore them up.. I aint talkin a hammy.. I mean tore the competition up.. and good defenses also! I'm not implying I want an injury here just to satisfy our curiosity, but I have sneaking suspicion he's close to being ready. If I may add, the little we've seen of him he's performed decent already and I don't think it would hurt with low degree of impact Boykin has, to consider getting him some snaps at WR

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts