James Jones

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Did you know that Sterling Sharpe had a strap in the back of his helmet to his pads to help keep him from looking down?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
Packerfanforever said:
why wasnt he on the team in 96?

Severe Career ending neck injury

You must be a complete idiot to not know what happened to sterling sharpe. Get your head out of the sand and pay attention!!

(sorry I had to do that)

HAHA....I suppose I had that one coming! Good one!! For some reason the only thing that comes to mind is a nagging turf toe injury.
Sharpe had that narrow opening for his spinal cord. He played all those years, and didn't even know it till he got hurt.
I believe that Terrance Murphy had the same thing. He got hurt though in his rookie year, so he found out right away.

ACDC84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too am excited to see what Jones can do. These days it seems that all the fast WRs coming out of college get alot of attention, and those with unimpressive speeds are called "posession receivers, at best". That is garbage. Speed doesn't make you a good receiver and not having impressive speed doesn't mean crap either. I read some "football experts"' opinions on our draft and the concensus was that Jones was a huge reach and will be never be better than a WR3 in his career, but Clowney has impressive speed so he will be a great weapon. Speed is just one small attribute to a successful receiver. Lets give this guy a chance.

Its also comical to hear these experts say "the guy has no speed" when they can jog faster than any of us could ever sprint.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too am excited to see what Jones can do. These days it seems that all the fast WRs coming out of college get alot of attention, and those with unimpressive speeds are called "posession receivers, at best". That is garbage. Speed doesn't make you a good receiver and not having impressive speed doesn't mean crap either. I read some "football experts"' opinions on our draft and the concensus was that Jones was a huge reach and will be never be better than a WR3 in his career, but Clowney has impressive speed so he will be a great weapon. Speed is just one small attribute to a successful receiver. Lets give this guy a chance.

Its also comical to hear these experts say "the guy has no speed" when they can jog faster than any of us could ever sprint.

I will go you one better and say that I am not overly concerned with speed OR size. What we need are good football players. Donald Driver is our best receiver, and he is neither a speed guy nor a size guy. Neither was Antonio Freeman. Robert Brooks was maybe a speed guy but was small. Sharpe had great size but not speed. Javon Walker probably had the best combination of the two, but he was the exception.

I wouldn't mind another Driver, and we may already have one in Jennings. I would be happy if option #3 was just another very good receiver, with or without blazing speed. It's encouraging to hear that Jones is looking good in camp. He is one of several picks this year who are not particularly impressive on paper, considering where they were selected. The fate of this draft class will tell us a lot about Ted Thompson, because there were a good number of unconventional picks.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. I look at James Jones to be EXACTLY like Driver.

Meaning he'll hang around Green Bay for a long, long time, and won't make an impact until about his 4th or 5th season--after Driver is done with Green Bay or football for that matter.

This is the way it'll be if Koren Robinson and Robert Ferguson hangs around.

I know K-Rob is a boozy, and Fergie incredibly sucks... but I really think they are poised to be two of Favre's main targets when Driver and Jennings aren't open.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GREAT posting!
Bill Schroeder is a perfect example of this. The guy was SUPER fast, but never was a "great" WR. Moves that can get you open are whats real important. Speed alone doesn't guarentee greatness.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing for sure(in my mind anyway) is that Favre and every other QB will tend to throw to someone that he feels is more sure-handed. That's the ONE thing everyone in the know says about Jones. Before I really became interested in Pro ball(just after the dinosaur era) I looked on speed first and foremost. It was after I found out that many, if not most, of the top WRs were not burners, that I realized that sure hands and elusiveness were more important. If I were a QB, and I had two WRs out in the pattern, I'd sure as heck heave it in the direction of the guy I felt had a better chance of hanging on to it. That's my only hope for Jones' success. If he developes the droppsy's or hears footsteps, he's a goner, IMO.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Jones will also provide an answer in the red zone as well. Seems to fight for the ball in his youtube clips.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to good hands and great strength I think they saw that he gets separation from the DB's. That takes quickness and leverage. The fast guys are fast because the have a great stride but are not necessarily fast right out of the blocks or off of a cut.

I see a guy that will be around a long time and will be a very reliable type receiver. We have been missing that with the #3. For several years now our third receiver either disappeared or in Fergy's case you couldn't rely on him to win the battle for the ball.

With Favre being asked to check down more I think Jones will get his chances and believe he will come thru. He may not break as many after the catch but I see his role as getting open for clutch first downs and making some tough catches in the red zone.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a few thousand players looking pretty good in practices right now. The next hurdle is also looking good in training camp, and then looking good in pre-season games, and then making the final roster. After all that comes what really counts, looking good in the regular season. And for some, also looking good in the post-season.

We shall see.

I've heard Stonehands Bowe and fragile Meacham aren't making much of an impression so far. I'll take the positive reviews up to this point. It is only one hurdle, but on the bright side, hey! It's a hurdle!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
There's a few thousand players looking pretty good in practices right now. The next hurdle is also looking good in training camp, and then looking good in pre-season games, and then making the final roster. After all that comes what really counts, looking good in the regular season. And for some, also looking good in the post-season.

We shall see.

I've heard Stonehands Bowe and fragile Meacham aren't making much of an impression so far. I'll take the positive reviews up to this point. It is only one hurdle, but on the bright side, hey! It's a hurdle!

I've been adamant from draft day that Meacham is a bum, and despite being on one of the most explosive offensive teams i reckon he will still suck.
Bowe has some talent and work ethic but i just cant see Croyle getting him the ball often enough.

Members online

Latest posts