James Jones sidelined indefinitely.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... 24041/1058

The knee injury sustained by wide receiver James Jones during Friday’s preseason game at Denver turned out to be more serious than the Green Bay Packers thought.

Though Jones probably won’t require surgery, he did sustain some ligament damage when he banged a knee in the third quarter. The injury was diagnosed after the game as a bruise, but further tests showed a sprain.

Jones wasn’t on the practice field on Sunday and won’t play in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Tennessee Titans at Lambeau Field. It’s unclear whether he will be available for the regular-season opener on Sept. 8 against the Minnesota Vikings.

“I’d put him in the week-to-week category,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday. “He will not go this week. He’s focusing on trying to get back for Minnesota.”

Jones left Friday’s game early in the third quarter. He caught passes of 14 yards and 1 yard on the opening two plays of the second half. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers looked to Jones again on the third snap of that series, but Jones dropped the ball. He came off the field after that play and did not return. At the time, it was announced that Jones banged a knee and would not return.

“Anytime you bang your knee like that, you think you’re dealing with a bruise,” McCarthy said. “But it ended up being a sprain.”

McCarthy did not say what part of Jones’ knee was sprained, but that he will not immediately require surgery means he did not tear the anterior cruciate ligament.

The injury could mean that for the second straight season, the Packers would begin the regular season without all of their receivers. Last year, starting receiver Greg Jennings missed the first two games with a hamstring injury. Jones, then a rookie, started until Jennings returned in Week 3.

Jones was expected to be the No. 3 receiver again this season. In the first three preseason games, he combined for seven catches for 68 yards and a touchdown.

His absence likely will mean additional playing time for third-year pro Ruvell Martin and rookie Jordy Nelson. This has been Martin’s best training camp since he joined the Packers in 2006. He has three catches for 46 yards in the preseason and has been strong in practice.

“If somebody goes down, I feel like the guys we have here are capable of filling in,” Martin said. “I feel comfortable out there. They talk about feeling like the game slows down for you, and you stop being robotic. I feel like that’s where I’m at right now. It’s just natural, whereas before it was more like you’re worrying and stressed when you’re out there. Now, I’m just going out there and playing.”

Nelson has been solid in practice, hasn’t dropped many passes and has caught five passes for 48 yards in the preseason games. Nelson said he’s familiar with all of the receiver spots and could fill in for Jones if needed.

“Hopefully, James gets back as soon as possible, and hopefully, if I’m called upon, I can fill in the best I can,” Nelson said. “I’ve been learning all the positions, and I’ve played where he is before.”

Jones’ injury could force the Packers to use a roster spot on a sixth receiver. Before his injury, it seemed likely the Packers would keep five: Jones, Jennings, Martin, Nelson and Donald Driver.

Rookie Brett Swain probably is the sixth-best receiver, but he seems destined for the practice squad if he clears waivers. McCarthy’s offense has enough versatility that he could use a tight end as a receiver in his five-receiver formations.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: James Jones out Indefinately

Damnit. This is always my biggest concern with preseason.

However, week-to-week isn't too horrible(like with Hawk). Rest them all till Minny!

Get ready for the Jordy Nelson Experiment.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah like he said, most likely turns into a Jennings thing like last year. At least no tear. I actually like Ruvell alot and Rodgers has always said that Ruvell was his guy, so go Martin.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: James Jones out Indefinately

tromadz said:
Damnit. This is always my biggest concern with preseason.

However, week-to-week isn't too horrible(like with Hawk). Rest them all till Minny!

Get ready for the Jordy Nelson Experiment.

i agree ,, i want to see more of this kid ( jordie nelson ) ... i like what he brings to the core ,,, he also does a good job on returns ... i could see him on the roster ...

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no....

Although I'm really happy to have Jordy Nelson in a more prominent role, I don't think anybody would agree that this is a great way to get it. Hopefully Nelson will prove his worth and Jones can heal up soon.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may force the team to carry 6 recievers to start the year like last season. Nelson is clearly the best guy to be playing the slot with Jones down and Ruvell will move up into the 4 spot. Whoever plays the best out of Swain/Smith and the rest of the recieving corps on Thursday against Tennessee could earn a roster spot.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones dropped another easy one Friday night. It was slightly behind him but right in his hands. Martin is getting looks & appears sure-handed, an improvement from last year.

I don't see TT carrying an extra WR to compensate for a Lames Jones, or MM requiring 5 WR sets in order to beat MN or DET. DAL game is just under one month from now & that should be the week to break open the high-octane offense. A slight tear or sprain of the LCL or MCL would be just fine by then.

Nelson will need to come of age early this season. He's got the goods, just needs to gel quickly.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Jones dropped another easy one Friday night. It was slightly behind him but right in his hands. Martin is getting looks & appears sure-handed, an improvement from last year.

I don't see TT carrying an extra WR to compensate for a Lames Jones, or MM requiring 5 WR sets in order to beat MN or DET. DAL game is just under one month from now & that should be the week to break open the high-octane offense. A slight tear or sprain of the LCL or MCL would be just fine by then.

Nelson will need to come of age early this season. He's got the goods, just needs to gel quickly.

I like Ruvell as well, I think he will step in fine.

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy has the speed and the hands...all he needs in playing time and he will get that...that is called experience. Once, the K-State star gets in a groove...gets over the rookie nervous nellies...he will mature into a fine receiver for many years to come. Jones always has had bad hands...yes he makes plays...but, he drops too many for my liking. So, Jordy has better hands than Jones...will see if he makes the most of the time he gets. I like everyone else...is pulling for the kid.

Members online

Latest posts