James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

SloveniaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very very happy that James Jones came back and that he performes so well. After one of my favorite players Jordy went down, GB was very lucky to find JJ on the market. I think age was a factor in releaseing JJ. First Oakland got new star rookie WR and probably wanted to develop some younger WRs. Then the Giants are also loaded on papar on first 1 or 2 positions. After that they need younger , cheaper guys with upside, who also play special teams. So all that is against JJ.

I think without JJ it would be much much harder for GB to beat Chicago. The catches yesterday reminded me alot of his 14 TD season. Most done in close contact. He doesnt get much separation but know hows to catch regardles of the coverage.

Lets hope he can perform in similar fashion all throug the season, but even scoring like 15 TD will hardly make him millions ? He probalby doesnt have any bonuses for performace, but he would certainly deserve them.
He will be 32 old, next season he is probaly again odd man out in GB with many younger WRs, and the market will also probalby be low for older WR, who is great just in one system and QB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Raiders cutting him to go with youth would make sense except just one year ago they signed him.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to look too far ahead, but I wonder if JJ will be invited back next year. They will have Nelson back, Davante now in his 3rd year, Cobb obviously, and Montgomery will have his rookie season behind him. Kind of a shame if they have to move on again and they probably will.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never been a big Jones fan. But he sure had a helluva game yesterday. And Rodgers likes him.

Sky King

Reaction score
Jones is strong as an ox. He's a better match against 'ol what's-his-name, the left side (only) DB of the Seahawks than Cobb. He may even be a better match-up against him than Adams at this early point in his career. It would be far better to have savvy vet Jones battling him all night long than to avoid challenging him altogether.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones is strong as an ox. He's a better match against 'ol what's-his-name, the left side (only) DB of the Seahawks than Cobb. He may even be a better match-up against him than Adams at this early point in his career.

Jones had two receptions (on two targets) for 25 yards vs. Sherman in the Fail Mary game, so maybe it would be a good idea to line him up on that side of the field.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one of my favorite all time, tough guy plays was when jones caught one over the middle at about the 15, turned and went straight at the safety! CRACK!!!, a wicked impact, jones helmet flies off like a bullet, out of the tv screen. the safety drops in his tracks, and jones runs into endzone... remember? awesome. i bet thathurt

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Shout out to the Giants! Thank you again for handing us James Jones. Sorry to hear that Preston Parker, who you kept instead of Jones, has been cut today due to his less then stellar play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he would just get up off his *** and catch the damn ball.

Seriously, even though it was overturned that was still a pretty damn good play by JJ. To fight off the defender and make the grab falling down and being able to keep his feet in. I agree with the overturn but I think he should still get some serious style points.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If he would just get up off his *** and catch the damn ball.

Seriously, even though it was overturned that was still a pretty damn good play by JJ. To fight off the defender and make the grab falling down and being able to keep his feet in. I agree with the overturn but I think he should still get some serious style points.
Rodgers fault. :( If he'd put more zip on his passes it'd have gotten there before the bum hit the ground. :whistling:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saw something popping up on FB this morning about JJ being a free agent. just wondering what peoples thoughts are on him possibly returning, or if anyone has seen anything confirming whether he is staying or going

D

Deleted member 6794

saw something popping up on FB this morning about JJ being a free agent. just wondering what peoples thoughts are on him possibly returning, or if anyone has seen anything confirming whether he is staying or going

Jones is a free agent and as long as the receivers currently on the Packers roster stay healthy I don't see him coming back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, it appears that the Packers 2015 #1 Receiver is the odd ("old") man out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he's really signed anywhere before draft day. I suspect he'll be one of those that will be better off waiting to see what teams get what injuries and sign then.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he's really signed anywhere before draft day. I suspect he'll be one of those that will be better off waiting to see what teams get what injuries and sign then.

Jones has had a good run and even made some solid money in his time...I think at this point he will be out of the NFL unless injuries occur. I just don't see anyone picking him up. I am a big JJ fan too!

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones has had a good run and even made some solid money in his time...I think at this point he will be out of the NFL unless injuries occur. I just don't see anyone picking him up. I am a big JJ fan too!

I guess some team will sign to a deal close to the minimum during or at the end of camp but he won't get either a long-term or lucrative contract.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the guy but he fell wayyyy off after the first 5 or 6 games of the season. He runs a good comeback route buts that's about it. Abby and Janis need all the reps so they can continue to develop.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im on board with not bringing Jones back. I was against it last season, in the first place. I think he produced great numbers in our broken offense. But the fact that swayed me then, is what stands as the only reason I still say no. He is too dang slow. End of story.

Theres a place in the NFL for a tough, physical, scrappy, veteran WR. But his years are numbered Im guessing, unless he gets a step back.

Now Janis.......That guy has speed. Jones was taking Janis and Abbys reps last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think enough people give James Jones his just dues as to what he did in 2015 for the Packers. He lead the team in receiving yards, tied with the most TD's, had the highest yds/catch of starters by 7 yards (Jones: 17.8 Cobb: 10.5) all while being brought back last minute, typically drawing the other teams #1 corner and playing on an out of sync offense much of the year.

If I had my wish, Jones would be resigned close to Vet Min. without a lot of guarantees and if he loses his job to one of the younger guys, so be it. But I get it, he needs to make room for the speedier unproven youth, I just hope one of them fills his hoodie adequately in 2016.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jones for what he can do opposite another really good receiver. In an of himself, he can't be the guy anymore and never really was in the past. He always had Jennings or Nelson around to take the elite coverage, stretch the field, and prop up his game.

Some people make great assistant coaches but are terrible at running the show. Jones is the kind of guy that can be invaluable in the #2 or #3 spot, but needs top talent around him to look good. Some guys can't even do that, so it says something about his game. He's good but not necessarily good enough to carry a team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, I don't think enough people give James Jones his just dues as to what he did in 2015 for the Packers. He lead the team in receiving yards, tied with the most TD's, had the highest yds/catch of starters by 7 yards (Jones: 17.8 Cobb: 10.5) all while being brought back last minute, typically drawing the other teams #1 corner and playing on an out of sync offense much of the year.

If I had my wish, Jones would be resigned close to Vet Min. without a lot of guarantees and if he loses his job to one of the younger guys, so be it. But I get it, he needs to make room for the speedier unproven youth, I just hope one of them fills his hoodie adequately in 2016.

There's no denying Jones had some really good games in 2015 but with Nelson hopefully returning healthy this season I don't think he would get a lot of snaps next season. It's time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no denying Jones had some really good games in 2015 but with Nelson hopefully returning healthy this season I don't think he would get a lot of snaps next season. It's time to move on.

I would be less worried about what James Jones would do as our #3, then I am with what either of Adams, Montgomery, Abby or Janis will provide that spot. But like I said, so be it, Jones would just be stealing reps from one of the young guys, so let one of them step up and see where the cards fall.

Members online

Latest posts