James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ask why did TT let him go. Look at how much 12 trusts him and how on the same page they are. He damn near had 3 td's today.

His contract with the Raiders was for virtually nothing. TT low balled the hell out of him. I get it with some guys that ask for the moon but JJ got like 10 or 12 over 3 years. That is pocket change in the NFL.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually glad he left for a year. Opened up the door for Adams to get valuable playing time last year. He's a whole lot cheaper now too.

Jones played great today. Was a little surprised that the chemistry came back this quickly.
I admit I expressed doubts about bringing JJ back after Jordy went down. I wasn't really opposed to it I just wondered if it made sense given how close we were to the start of the season. Captain made some good points and I changed my mind, thinking that if nothing else, JJ would help with the Red Zone struggles GB had last year, notably in the NFCCG. But even I didn't think he would "re-acclimate" this quickly - and for a guy we used to criticize for dropped passes - JJ made some very difficult catches today. So on this particular Sunday, he looked every bit as good, if not better, then when he left GB. He's clearly in great game shape. I truly don't understand why the Raiders dropped him after a 70 plus catch season, and then the Giants release him after a full PS. Well, thanks to our old pal Reggie McKenzie and most recently the Giants' GM.

And think of how much more dangerous JJ and Adams will become when Cobb heals.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were tremendous and we watched Jones do that many times his last couple of season with as. How nice was it for him to come in and in week establish himself as force to be reckoned with? Teams are not going to be able to just double cover Cobb.
And when Cobb heals up, no D can afford to overload on Cobb, Adams, or Jones. And if they play safeties over the top Rodgers and Lacy will destroy a D by going underneath. Well given the state of our punter and run defense (yes it's only one game), the longer the O can stay on the field, the better.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when Cobb heals up, no D can afford to overload on Cobb, Adams, or Jones. And if they play safeties over the top Rodgers and Lacy will destroy a D by going underneath. Well given the state of our punter and run defense (yes it's only one game), the longer the O can stay on the field, the better.

And all of the aforementioned makes the other Rodgers more dangerous too.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was a big james jones fan for uears, and he always disapointed. i gave up on him and he led league in tds??? i liked the lowball offer that led him to raiders. i LOVED that tt replaced him with an electric cobb, and athletic freals like adams and monty. but i jave been humbled again. rodgers to jones connection is as big a deal as any in greenbay right now... its huge. thanks james jones for coming back readu to play . great team mojo after the devestating loss of nelson.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ask why did TT let him go. Look at how much 12 trusts him and how on the same page they are. He damn near had 3 td's today.

His contract with the Raiders was for virtually nothing. TT low balled the hell out of him. I get it with some guys that ask for the moon but JJ got like 10 or 12 over 3 years. That is pocket change in the NFL.
Jones will earn 870k with a cap hit of only 585k this year. Great current value.

The addition of Davante Adams in the second round last year, coupled with the loss of Jordy Nelson this year I think explains his year long Packers hiatus.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that TT tries to keep the train rolling with new blood but for as cheap as JJ signed.....he could have kept him around instead of god awful boykin. He was sooooooooooo cheap.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's really puzzling. There is no way that James Jones is not good enough to be one of the top 5 wide receivers for one of the other 31 teams in the league.

It's a strange misconception that Jones struggled in Oakland. He didn't. He set a career high in receptions, and scored 6 TD's. His YPC was way down, but that was across the board with Carr's targets. It was a product of their offense. In every other category Jones was at least as effective if not more than Jennings was in Minnesota at a fraction of the cost.

Jones also had success in training camp in New York. I have no idea why he was cut. None. It certainly wasn't cost. I don't know what Rueben Randle has ever done in New York to guarantee himself a spot. Maybe they wanted to stick with youth, I would guess.

It was the perfect storm for a TT signing, so much that for the first time, it was obvious that a TT free agent signing was coming, because 2 huge circumstances came into play:

1) His release and market dictated that he was now only a minimum salary player, therefore having almost no affect on our cap to sign him, and

2) He is worth a heck of a lot more to us than a veteran minimum salary, and everyone knew it from the start.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Even though it's partly because he is playing with A-rod, JJ seems to be comfortable with GB and this system. I don't think he had 1 catch as great as his 1st TD catch today last year (correct me if i'm wrong). That was amazing. Perhaps he is almost motivated to prove those teams wrong. That being said I really don't get why Oakland or NY passed on him. Especially Oakland. Maybe those teams favored youth?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that TT tries to keep the train rolling with new blood but for as cheap as JJ signed.....he could have kept him around instead of god awful boykin. He was sooooooooooo cheap.

He's cheap now. He got almost $4M a year from Oakland which was obviously a factor in letting him walk at the time, especially after Boykin was coming off a respectable 2013.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall Cobb may have summed it up best:

“It’s amazing he’s been cut by two teams in five months,” Cobb said. “It just makes zero sense to me.”

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is right. He was really good with the Pack and really good last year and yet he gets cut. Worked out for the best though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wish I had a screen shot of the "do the Packers go after Jones" voting that opened this thread up way back when. Before Jones actually signed, I believe it was less then 50% answering yes LOL......where are all those nay sayers now? Just saying. :coffee:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myles White wasn't doing what JJ did today. What a stud pickup by TT. It is absurd how that fell in our lap and how cheap that signing was. I kind of wish they would just give JJ a 5 mil bday check or something. He does nothing but perform and never gets the respect.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crazy. Why would anyone say no?

In fairness some people were probably voting what they thought the Packers would do, not necessarily what they wanted. IIRC it was not clear whether the poll question was 'should they' or 'will they.'

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's crazy. Why would anyone say no?

In fairness some people were probably voting what they thought the Packers would do, not necessarily what they wanted. IIRC it was not clear whether the poll question was 'should they' or 'will they.'

If you remember or read back, many thought Jones was washed up and would be a terrible signing. Those with this opinion pointed out that "he must be done, since both Oakland and the Giants cut him". Failing to understand why he was cut from both teams.

All I can say once again is......THANK YOU GIANTS!!!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so stoked that him and 12 are on the same page already. Those were not simple throws and catches between those 2 today.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a no brainer. Many people including myself saw this as forgone as soon as Jordy went down. (Assuming he didn't make the NYG roster. Jones is at worst the 3rd best WR on the Packers roster. I'm suprised New York didn't send him to GB a couple weeks ago for a 7th round pick. Anyhow, glad the obvious has happened.
Boo-ya!!!

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait till Cobb heals up. I was worried about the offense with Jordy being down, but with jj, it seems like we won't miss much of a beat. Won't be as dynamic with the home run td bombs to Jordy, but jj is very consistent and doesn't make mistakes. Just catches tds and makes clutch plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

Myles White wasn't doing what JJ did today. What a stud pickup by TT. It is absurd how that fell in our lap and how cheap that signing was. I kind of wish they would just give JJ a 5 mil bday check or something. He does nothing but perform and never gets the respect.

You realize there´s a salary cap in place in the NFL, don´t you? That was the reason the Packers let him go last offseason as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at the time we let him go, I think it was the right thing to do as well. We had WR's, 2 younger and obvious studs, some younger developing talent and Boykin was coming off a good year. I did not foresee his complete drop off after he improved every game I watched him before that. I don't think many others did either, but signing another 5 Mil a year receiver at the time was low priority when we had other contracts coming up, like Cobb and Bulaga and decisions had to be made.

I have no idea why the Raiders would cut him, he's a good guy. At least I think he is. Everything he says or does just looks like it has great person written all over it. He doesn't seem like he puts on a show, or an act, or tries to be someone he's not, he just is a good person. I'm sure he's not perfect like the rest of us, but i've never seen anything he's said or done after winning or losing or when things get tough, that says he's a bad guy by society's standards, let alone NFL locker room standards. He plays hard, always, and he obviously has talent. He might not be a #1 everywhere in this league, but I think he's exactly the kind of receiver that would make every team in the league stronger at the position if he was on their roster. I'm glad he made it back to ours.

Members online

Latest posts