James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Favre lost any fans in Green Bay for pitching for us to bring Moss and others in. I think it was more the whole retiring then unretiring then demanding a trade or release, heading to our most hated rivals and grudging our organization for several years, that sort of thing.

I've seen comments to the effect that he was trying to run the team and got pissed when no one would do what he wanted. Maybe they were more reactionary comments brought on after what you said to further justify his crucifixion.

As far as Rodgers goes I honestly don't think he was a big influence on the James Jones thing. I have an idea that as soon as Ted knew Jordy would be out for the year he started to pay a lot of attention to James Jones in New York. He may have given his opinion but I doubt his Yeah or Nay was a big factor.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hop Rodgers would have voiced his opinion this time. JJ made sense. Moss was just a fantasy for Favre.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont have much doubt that this completely a front office decision.

H

HardRightEdge

If Dougherty had posted that here, I would have blasted him as well. The "Jones is washed up" conclusion is pretty suspect on the basis of a 9.1 ypc average in a **** poor Raiders offense (with a rookie under center) and failing to crack a good Giants receiving corps. Look at the film- he's fine.

I didn't think the front office would move on this. (Since I'm roasting you on Jones, I might as well cop to being wrong about our front office.) This was an easy move that boosts our depth at receiver. Well done, TT and company. Welcome home, James.
It was posted elsewhere that Carr was dead last in the league in yards per attempt (5.46) last season among QBs with enough throws to qualify for the season record book. That was not even close to the next best number, Bortles at 6.12. You have to go back to 2011 to find a worse number (Gabbert, 5.36).

I've done a little more work since that last report.

Carr's yards per completion in 2014 was 9.40, a number more relevant to receiver yards per catch. That was the worst number over the last six seasons, and he wasn't even close to his nearest "competitors":

Ponder - 9.78 - 2012
Bradford - 9.92 - 2010
Clausen - 9.92 - 2010
Quinn - 9.85 - 2009

You have to go back to Fitzpatrick in 2008 (8.62) to find a worse number.

I think it's fair to say Jones' yards per catch in Oakland last year is a distortion due to the nature of the QB/offensive scheme. If his skills are diminished, I'd not be looking at that PYC number as proof.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a slot guy, Montgomery is a slot guy and Janis isn't ready yet. Bring in James Jones, we need atleast someone to pair on the outside with Davante.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a no brainer. Many people including myself saw this as forgone as soon as Jordy went down. (Assuming he didn't make the NYG roster. Jones is at worst the 3rd best WR on the Packers roster. I'm suprised New York didn't send him to GB a couple weeks ago for a 7th round pick. Anyhow, glad the obvious has happened.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think TT would resign him but I believe he will be a big help. Jordy will be watching film helping the rooks & though nobody can replace Jordy,Jones will be a big help. JJ came back in time to get ring number 2

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Jennings
It wouldn't break my heart if Jennings only comes to Lambeau on another team to get his butt stomped. He talked too much crap about the Packers then when the Vikings cut him he tried to make nice.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just really stoked about this. I really like James Jones the man and the football player and can't wait to see him suit up and contribute as always. He is the only guy who left on a high note.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb
Adams
Jones
Montgomery
Janis/White

Even missing Nelson, that's a solid #1-#5. Jones isn't Jordy and won't replace him, but we don't need him to. We need him to be a solid possession guy and Rodgers' new security blanket to open things up downfield for the younger guys, and that's exactly what I think he'll do.

Feeling good about where we are at offensively especially with the O line getting healthy again.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the face of it, an excellent move. For me, it's a can't lose/ could win big type of move.
Welcome home, JJ.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Rodgers goes I honestly don't think he was a big influence on the James Jones thing.

Its no secret that Rodgers has trust issues with the targets that he throws to. That has been discussed on this very forum before. So yes, I can very much see Rodgers going to Ted and saying to bring Jones in. Jones knows the system and hes one of Rodgers favorite targets from the recent past. In other words, Rodgers feels very comfortable with James Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Although if asked, AR probably gave his opinion of the WR corp after the cuts, but ultimately this was TT and the coaching staffs decision. I don't think it took a rocket scientist to see the inexperience we were left with when Jordy went down. But I think the ultimate wake up call was seeing Cobb's brush with an injury. Had we lost Cobb, who were we left with? A second year guy and a bunch of unproven potential talent.

Ultimately, we could have signed another Vet during the season if things didn't pan out due to injuries or less then stellar play from the young guys, but signing a proven vet before the start of the season, one that AR is familiar with and trusts, knows the Packer system and was available now, was the obvious move.

Thank you Giants!

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good move bringing back Jones. He was a solid performer once he got over the dropsies. The Packers were dangerously thin at WR last year. Behind Nelson and Cobb you only had Adams a rookie and Boykin a washout. I was seriously concerned last year that if Nelson or Cobb were lost the other would get double coverage and who would be left after that ? Adams should be improved in his second year, but a veteren WR needed to be added to the mix.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR's opinions and suggestions are important in offense issues especially WR. It's just like your opinion if someone else was deciding on a new wife you.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was posted elsewhere that Carr was dead last in the league in yards per attempt (5.46) last season among QBs with enough throws to qualify for the season record book. That was not even close to the next best number, Bortles at 6.12. You have to go back to 2011 to find a worse number (Gabbert, 5.36).

I've done a little more work since that last report.

Carr's yards per completion in 2014 was 9.40, a number more relevant to receiver yards per catch. That was the worst number over the last six seasons, and he wasn't even close to his nearest "competitors":

Ponder - 9.78 - 2012
Bradford - 9.92 - 2010
Clausen - 9.92 - 2010
Quinn - 9.85 - 2009

You have to go back to Fitzpatrick in 2008 (8.62) to find a worse number.

I think it's fair to say Jones' yards per catch in Oakland last year is a distortion due to the nature of the QB/offensive scheme. If his skills are diminished, I'd not be looking at that PYC number as proof.

Thanks for unpacking that stat a little. It felt like a distortion given the state of the Oakland offense last year and Jones was back over 12.4 ypc in the preseason with the Giants.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McGinn posted an article yesterday titled, “James Jones could be major Super Bowl piece”.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb
Adams
Jones
Montgomery
Janis/White
Cobb has the shoulder thing and Monty has a hammie issue. Worst case b4 Jones was starting the season with Adams and Janis. Looks better on paper at least with him here. I know everyone says they are always ready to go.

H

HardRightEdge

Thanks for unpacking that stat a little. It felt like a distortion given the state of the Oakland offense last year and Jones was back over 12.4 ypc in the preseason with the Giants.
I ran across a note at rotoworld.com stating he played mostly out of the slot in Oakland, so that's an additional factor.

No word yet on his Packer contract, but it is being reported to be a one-year deal. His one-year deal with the Giants was for the vet minimum $870,000 + $30,000 signing bonus + $50,000 roster bonus = $950,000 total value.

I suspect his deal with the Packers might be a bit more than that under the circumstances, in which case the risk/reward looks favorable. If it has per-game roster bonuses, that would be a nice hedge.

H

HardRightEdge

McGinn posted an article yesterday titled, “James Jones could be major Super Bowl piece”. He quotes a couple of “high-ranking personnel men for NFL teams” and And a couple of scouts:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...r-super-bowl-piece-b99571477z1-325218211.html
"Perfect timing," one of the executives said. "They did (get lucky)." … "He'll catch 40 to 60 balls, as much as they throw the football," one executive said. "He's going to average between 9 and 11 yards a catch. I think it's a good move because of the familiarity and it's a security blanket for the quarterback."

This guy
doesn't know what he's talking about.

Over the past 5 years, the Packers have ranked as follows in number of passing attempts:

2014 - 20th.
2013 - 18th.
2012 - 16th.
2011 - 14th.
2010 - 16th.

Even without Lacy, the numbers were average; with him the numbers went down.

As for the 9-11 yards per catch, that sounds like a "conventional wisdom" superficiality based on the Oakland stats.

As for the second opinion citing Jones' loss of speed, we'll just have to see about that. I've discussed recently guys with early speed (White...note the speed in turning up the field on the long gainer in this most recent game) vs. long strider/long speed (Nelson and Janis, or Janis' doppleganger Billy Schroeder for that matter). Or if we look at Cobb, he's got a fairly smooth and speedy acceleration curve up through 4th. gear while lacking the premier long speed/5th. gear of a Nelson.

My perception of Jones when he was with the Packers was as none of the above...he had "middle speed"...he had a strong 3rd. gear which would show up, for example, at the point where a CB would engage him in off coverage. If the Packers are going to play him as wide out and not in the slot, which one would expect, we'll get a good idea fairly quickly as to whether he still has that 3rd. gear.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the move and see it as a low risk, medium reward deal. Jones isn't going to catch 75 balls and go for 1,000 but we don't need him to. Depending on how the youngsters play he may actually not see the field all that much. What he brings to the table is another stabilizing presence in the film room and on the field coaching up the young guys. James CAN still play as well and I myself think he gets more run than some are predicting. I see him having 50 or so grabs with 500-600 yards and 5-7 TD's. He is a big body guy that can be a weapon both on 3rd down and RZ situations. The only downside would be taking reps away from Janis, White and Monty but with how much we throw the ball and 12's propensity for distributing the rock all over the field I think they'll find a nice balance. James isn't a "me-me-me" kinda cat. He will show up with his lunchpail and do what the coaches ask of him be it ball out or coach up. He has to know his place on the totem poll coming into this thing, right? Great move all around and I think he will end up making some timely, clutch plays for us this upcoming year. Welcome home JJ. Welcome home!

G P G!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What jersey number do u think he will wear? Just sparks my interest lol since Richard Rodgers has 89 do u think he will give it up? Or is he gonna be with like 80 or 84 haha

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What jersey number do u think he will wear? Just sparks my interest lol since Richard Rodgers has 89 do u think he will give it up? Or is he gonna be with like 80 or 84 haha

84 belongs to Abbrederis. Current available WR #s are 10, 11, 13, 80, 82 and 85.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good move by the Packers for all of the reasons stated above. He should be able to step right in and contribute. I don't know if there is a better receiver that the packers could have signed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts