James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones would give us a quality, experienced option in the flanker role. And he could probably be added on a short, inexpensive deal.

Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely because that doesn't fit our front office's MO. (I'm just not as high on Janis as many people here seem to be.)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want JJ and Janis. I don't want White. If he was that good he would have been on a roster long before now. He has been on the PS for 2 or 3 years.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I want JJ and Janis. I don't want White. If he was that good he would have been on a roster long before now. He has been on the PS for 2 or 3 years.

Yeah I really do not like White man, I think the only reason he made the roster is because we needed someone to fill the spot and he got a lot of playing time. I think that if Abbrederis got more playing time he would have made the team over White with ease.
I would like to see James Jones in the place of White as well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Is it possible that TT is taking a chance and letting the season start with who we have, then if someone else gets injured on the receiving corps, he gambles that Jones or Wayne will still be available?

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say no. If they do, then that says a lot about what they think about our younger receivers. In his prime, Jones was a good #2. He is definitely not in his prime now, and couldn't make two other rosters. I honestly don't think he would be much help. Most people are thinking nostalgia instead of common sense.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Janis can develop in a good receiver? I mean he has the speed and the size, maybe if you throw him into the mix with the first teamers he will develop fast and be a force.
I don't disagree that it would be nice to see that line up, I am also curious to see what Janis can do with this offense.

I think Janis could be a decent receiver but probably not much more than a good #3 and that would take some time. I just think Jones offers more experience, more stability and at this point more ability than anyone we have besides Cobb. If we brought him in I think he would challenge Adams for targets from the start.

The more I think about it the less I think Ted will go after him. I can't recall but I don't think we even made him an offer so its not like he took a better deal to be the #1 guy. He is pretty much the only FA I'd like to see us pursue though. If we don't go after him though I hope we don't go after anyone else.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it possible that TT is taking a chance and letting the season start with who we have, then if someone else gets injured on the receiving corps, he gambles that Jones or Wayne will still be available?

I agree 100%. Take Jones now ! Don't wait for the next injury.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say no. If they do, then that says a lot about what they think about our younger receivers. In his prime, Jones was a good #2. He is definitely not in his prime now, and couldn't make two other rosters. I honestly don't think he would be much help. Most people are thinking nostalgia instead of common sense.

Quite honestly I don't think a whole lot of our younger receivers in some respects. They may be loaded with talent and potential but common sense tells me they are all very young and very inexperienced. Our #2 has played 1 season and while it was a decent season it was far from electric (partly due to being the #3 guy I admit) Our #3 (Janis?) is in his second year and had 3 catches his rookie year. Our #4 (Montgomery?) is a rookie and our #5 is a third year guy who has 9 catches in 2013 a stint on the IR and I don't even recall where he was in 2014 (IR? PS?) Beyond Adams I don't see a whole lot to get excited about this year. I am excited to see what Montgomery will develop into but as far as this season my expectations are not particularly high.

The "We have Rodgers it doesn't matter who our receivers are" are having a field day with this one. I hope they are right.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJs former OC didn't keep him. Tells me a lot about his current abilities.

That would be relevant if the OC was responsible for making the roster decisions. Do you know for a fact that McAdoo didn't want to keep him? I'm not sure how much pull an OC has.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think salary guarantees would be more of a factor in waiting than injuries. From what I understand if we sign him before week 1 whatever his salary is will be guaranteed. If we wait until after week 1 we will only have to pay him on a weekly basis and if he can't cut it we can cut him with no dead money.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I just can't get used to the multi quoting function. I see something I want to comment on and I comment.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones, Wayne and Nicks, and whoever else is out there. Better at least seriously kick the tires on some options.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NE kicked the Wayne tires and it was failure. Wayne is headed toward retirement IMO. I don't want him.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJs former OC didn't keep him. Tells me a lot about his current abilities.

Dumb conclusion without looking at it from a NYG perspective: Jones wasn't going to leapfrog Beckham, Cruz and Randle on that depth chart. With the deeper WR spots, the Giants preferred the youth and upside of guys like Davis and Washington. Parker gives them a special teamer that returns kicks. It just didn't make sense for them to hold onto Jones. That doesn't mean he's washed up...

Jones was the most productive Giants WR in the preseason. His Raiders production was fine given the state of that offense. His upside is obviously limited but he's a very sensible insurance policy beside relatively untested guys like Montgomery and Janis... Giving him a look is a no-brainer to me...

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Dumb conclusion without looking at it from a NYG perspective: Jones wasn't going to leapfrog Beckham, Cruz and Randle on that depth chart. With the deeper WR spots, the Giants preferred the youth and upside of guys like Davis and Washington. Parker gives them a special teamer that returns kicks. It just didn't make sense for them to hold onto Jones. That doesn't mean he's washed up...

Jones was the most productive Giants WR in the preseason. His Raiders production was fine given the state of that offense. His upside is obviously limited but he's a very sensible insurance policy beside relatively untested guys like Montgomery and Janis... Giving him a look is a no-brainer to me...

A bit harshly put, but I agree with argument.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't anyone not want Jones back? The guy knows the system and he's still got game when he's with the right qb....oh and Nelson is out with a whole hero if inexperience guys as backups. If Rodgers wants JJ he will be back. This team is built to score ...and will have to score IMO so JJ would be a welcome addition .

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it from the viewpoint of any other team that might be looking for a wideout. All the discussion of Jones here revolves around two thing - veteran leadership and knowing the system. For the other 31 teams, the latter is gone, so it's just a matter of wanting a stray veteran. My point being that Jones will probably be around for the Pack, if needed, regardless of whether they do it immediately or not.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers may think Jones has lost a step, or they may think Montgomery at #3, Janis at #4, White at #5 and Abbrederis on the PS (assuming he gets there) provide enough depth and insurance.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it from the viewpoint of any other team that might be looking for a wideout. All the discussion of Jones here revolves around two thing - veteran leadership and knowing the system. For the other 31 teams, the latter is gone, so it's just a matter of wanting a stray veteran. My point being that Jones will probably be around for the Pack, if needed, regardless of whether they do it immediately or not.

I understand your point and if you are are OK with what we have now at WR and don't think he is needed then this is a perfectly reasonable way to look at it. On the other hand if you think adding Jones now would provide an upgrade to our very young and very inexperienced WR corps then why wait for another injury? If Ted thinks we are fine with what we have I may disagree but I can live with it. If Ted does think that adding Jones will improve our team I really hope he is not going to wait until after week 1 just to potentially save some money and I really really hope the fact that we are playing the Bears in week 1 doesn't factor into it.

I'm not sure most of us who are advocating signing Jones would say he is needed (I know I am not) but I think a lot of us do think he would improve the group.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Silverstein's source they have spoken with him...what that means no one knows as there is no deal to report.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not the only one with that view:
At 31, Jones’ explosiveness must be waning. He averaged only 9.1 yards a catch with the Oakland Raiders last year. Then he failed to win a spot in the Giants’ six-man receiving corps despite leading them in receptions (15) this preseason while playing for an offensive coordinator, former Packers assistant Ben McAdoo, who surely convinced the team to bring him to camp in the first place.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...y/2015/09/05/packers-james-jones-wr/71736302/

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly think White is part of the future plans? I think he is just another Boykin that hung around long enough and showed some flashes. WR's on this team don't usually have to go the hard way from PS to being a contributor.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly think White is part of the future plans? I think he is just another Boykin that hung around long enough and showed some flashes. WR's on this team don't usually have to go the hard way from PS to being a contributor.
Unless your name is Donald Driver IIRC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts