1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

James jones instead of Jennings?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Oct 21, 2012.

1. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    What do you think will happen if we let Jennings go? You all know. He will be wearing purple. Do we want to face him, Harvin, and Adrian Peterson, who apparently will be playing another 14 years?

2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Doubt he will be in purple. There are other teams with massive cap space that would snatch him up quickly. Teams like Oakland need big time help at WR and will pony up good cash to get one.

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    If he does leave i see him going to a contender, he won't go to a bottom feeder like Oakland... the guy is accustomed to winning. I honestly see him going to the Patriots or San Fran honestly. I'm sure he would love to go play with Brady where the AFC East is so weak he's guaanteed to make the playoffs and have a shot at a couple more rings.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    IIRC, Nelson already signed a 3-year deal last year...

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Yeah but that is going to have to be restructured when they are done with the others. It's in the packers best interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452

Money talks and bullsh!t walks......he will go where the best payday happens. Look at Mario williams, perfect example right there. Texans record vs buffalos record ....

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I refuse to believe Jennings is a piece of **** like Mario. Who basically said he didn't care about Buffalo's expectations of him to help their pass rush. He got paid and now he's essentially giving them the Albert Haynesworth treatment.

Even if Jennings isn't here next year, which I hope isn't the case. I know wherever he goes, he'll work hard to help his team.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    I agree that Jennings isn't going to no show when he gets paid. But where he is going will depend on offers. He will be in Jacksonville if they pay him an extra million every season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Never said jennings was a POS, just that he will go where the cash is. I used the Mario williams comparison like this: Houston couldn't afford him, buffalo could. Houston has many other weapons that needed a payday and they couldn't keep'em all. We will be in a similar situation soon.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Seriously all you guys thinking we need or have to re-sign Jennings...you realize doing so will cripple re-signing of IMO more critical players like Raji and Matthews. We have a hot handed QB that can make average WR great....the catch is Jones, Cobb and Nelson are all above average WR already! Have TT throw in a couple new ones through draft or FA in the offseason and we're fine at WR. I love Jennings and hate to see him go, but we cannot pay what his agent is going to want...unless we basically say okay bye Raji, bye Matthews oh and Rodgers we may or may not have enough money left over to make you a Packer for life.

If we let Jennings walk (tough) it sucks but it's better for the team. Finley also, I wouldn't resign him, just ride him while you got him and then trade or let walk (diva mentality with hands that at time I feel don't even exist).

We have to focus on re-signing and keeping our defensive guys....go out this next draft and by the 4th round have a WR, RB and a C in my opinion.

11. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +860
    Don't forget about a LT, a Safety, and a development QB. Maybe a middle LB, too. And someone to replace Pickett. Possibly a CB.

:confused:

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    :) Don't worry trust me I haven't forgotten about those positions you stated...but (disclaimer the following is my opinion)...

-MLBs- If we keep Hawk around we're fine with DJ Smith and Bishop set to return next season just fine we've got 3 viable starters and our back ups already have proven themselves to be capable....worth drafting yes, worrying about it high in the draft....nah

-LT-This is definitely a position where if TT sees a LT just fall to him I think you take him, no matter how you feel Newhouse or Sherrod are if one drops to you that is a stud get him...if not TT will have to listen to his gut on his beliefs of the two listed or how much growth/potential he sees in Datko.

-Safety- Call me crazy but I'm pretty content. I love what Jennings and McMillian have shown...not to mention Burnett is loved by the coaches as well and I foresee being very solid for years to come. That Sean Richardson out of Vandy caught me eye with his raw ability in the pre-season as well. Polish that guy up and we all of a sudden have depth.....BUT WOODSON, don't forget Woodson. If Hayward keeps elevating his game and House/Shields stay healthy and stick around (I know contract may not happen) Woodson's playing at the S position could begin to happen more and more than it already is.

So really the above 3 I don't place in high priority right now...the following two while a QB is not high priority a backup is needed.

-QB-I haven't given up on Harrell but I'd love to see TT draft another or bring in a cheap FA with some young legs to give us a true battle. Coleman is smart and I like him but raw and we all knew he had no chance.

-Line-This one could slide up into the LT territory for me. If TT and staff feel Worthy could potentially play big enough to rest Raji from time to time we may not see him draft one atleast not high...but to me DT and LT are the same in that if stud drop take him...but many countless DT's and LT's have been undrafted or late round guys that developed.

Just quick thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    Why is everyone so high on Raji being re-signed? i like the guy but he hasn't been the same since 2010 either.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    He is solid. The drop off if we lose him would be high. His price won't be crazy.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Think of it this way....lose Raji and you have what at DT? Just Pickett...if he is still playing.

Just for thought:

Lose Jennings and you have what: Nelson, Cobb, Jones, *Driver, *Boykin, *Borel

Lose Finley and you have: Crabtree, Taylor, Williams, Quarless

16. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +984
    Jennings is prolly a goner after 2013 (he's getting the tag next yr) so what i see happening is another wr taken in the 2nd or even first round. If we take aother position in the first round... then a wr will come off the boards in the 2nd rd no later. I say that because Finley is likely a goner after this season and i don't think our tighend situation is great with the guy's we have, so i also see a pass catching TE coming off the boards in the early rounds as well.

Heres how i would draft

1st round ILB/NT
    2nd WR
    3rd TE
    4th OG
    5th ILB/DE

*really weak draft class in regards to rb so maybe we bring in someone off the streets.

17. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +860
    Don't disagree with anything-- it's all just idle/fun speculation this far in advance.

The biggest bummer is that we will have to wait all the way #32 this next draft, so many of the big names will be long gone by then...

:tup:

18. PackerBacher

PackerBacher Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Something I have not seen mentioned yet worth at least noting is what Rodgers said about Jones. Remember how he vouched for Jones and said the Packers NEED to keep him on the team?

When a QB the likes of Rodgers say such things about a WR, I would think the entire staff listens to him. Who knows how it will play out the next couple of years, but with Jones having the type of season he is this year, and if he keeps this up, Rodgers is likely to vouch for him again once this contract is up.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Eghhh paying him $10 mil next season that's all on the cap isn't exactly in the best interest of the team. The tag should be used as a last resort for high pay positions like that. Example Drew Brees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +172