Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should Packers sign Jairus Byrd for 5 years 45 million with 20/25 million guaranteed?
He went to high school near Green Bay so it would be a home coming of sorts. And he would be as close to a replacement for Nick Collins as is available. But would likely means Sam Shields would not be back. I don't know to me it seems like an option that should at least be considered strongly.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistically... yes. I think it would be wise to take a long hard look at him. But we won't.

All comes down to "something is worth as much as someone will pay for it..." and someone else will pay more than we will.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should the Packers offer 45 million to a safety who's never played a down with us, likely thereby limiting the chances of returning of Sam Shields who has played for us with great success?

No.

It's one thing for people on here to advise smart free agent signings. Guys like Jim Leonhard, Michael Bennett, Garrett Graham. Low risk signings. What your offering is high risk.

So my final answer to your question of should we sign Jarius Byrd? Probably not. Will we? Ummm..not hardly a chance.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say the Packers shouldn't sign him. First of all, the risk/reward on big name free agents has been not very good as of late. Sure, there are hits, but lots of big names flop every season. Byrd is going to get way overpaid by some team.

If they want a safety that badly, they are better off finding a second tier guy or drafting one high, which much less financial risk.

Plus, even with all the cap space, I wouldn't see them being able to afford Byrd and Cobb and Jordy next season.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner might be cheaper....and still a pretty good one...and hopefully sign Shields. Draft a more physical MLB opposite of Hawk? Well since there was a lot of discussion about The Saints TE and wether the Pack should go after him( giving up 2 1st rnd picks for him) would anyone oppose giving two first round picks to move up and get Clowney? ( just for the sake of conversation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner might be cheaper....and still a pretty good one...and hopefully sign Shields. Draft a more physical MLB opposite of Hawk? Well since there was a lot of discussion about The Saints TE and wether the Pack should go after him( giving up 2 1st rnd picks for him) would anyone oppose giving two first round picks to move up and get Clowney? ( just for the sake of conversation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would take much more than giving a team one extra first rounder to move up that high. For that reason, I'm opposed.

If it could be done for that price, maybe, as I see Clowney being fantastic in the NFL.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah getting Clowney would be a game changer he could play the role Mike Neal did this past season and make the defense a force to be reckoned with. Assuming CM3 can stay healthy having those two on the field rushing the passer would make the secondary much better. His ten yard split was 1.59 pretty good for a guy his size, Matthews ran a 1.51 which is about as good as it gets. But yeah there's a way better chance of TT signing. Bryd than there is of him trading the whole draft to move up to take Clowney at number 1 or 2.
And Shields has played with sporadic not consistent great success.
If the question is would I rather see the Packers pay Shields 5 years 40 million with 20 million guaranteed or Bryd 5 years 45 million with 25 million guaranteed id go with Bryd all day he's the better player.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh. This whole thread. Biggest name FA. Check. Discussion of moving into the top slots of the draft to draft the biggest name in the draft. Check.

Both of these topics have already been hammered to death thankfully.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh. This whole thread. Biggest name FA. Check. Discussion of moving into the top slots of the draft to draft the biggest name in the draft. Check.

Both of these topics have already been hammered to death thankfully.

Jairus Byrd to me is a pipe dream, it just isn't going to happen. And pipe dream might be the wrong term becasue I'm not even sure I want Ted to do that. As a previous poster noted, big name/$ free agents just don't work out like they should... i.e. Finnegan, Wallace, Mario Williams just off the top of my head. I do believe he will sign a free agent S, just not Byrd.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that it´s probably not going to happen, but I would be excited if the Packers would sign Byrd. He would make the pass defense that much better that I think it would be worth the investment.

Even if he asks for $10 million a year and Raji would be re-signed to the reported contract that would leave the Packers with around $20 million in cap space. Plenty of room to improve the ILB with a mid-price free agent and it would allow us to actually take the BPA in the draft.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that it´s probably not going to happen, but I would be excited if the Packers would sign Byrd. He would make the pass defense that much better that I think it would be worth the investment.

Even if he asks for $10 million a year and Raji would be re-signed to the reported contract that would leave the Packers with around $20 million in cap space. Plenty of room to improve the ILB with a mid-price free agent and it would allow us to actually take the BPA in the draft.

While this is true, Jordy and Randall still need to be re-upped at some point as well. Another thing that needs to be taken into account is Sitton, Lang and Bulaga are going to be coming up shortly. Sitton has played well enough to earn another sizeable deal. I know that the cap is reportedly going to keep going up but I just don't see us being in a position to spend like other teams. We have too much internal talent that is going to need to be kept.

D

Deleted member 6794

While this is true, Jordy and Randall still need to be re-upped at some point as well. Another thing that needs to be taken into account is Sitton, Lang and Bulaga are going to be coming up shortly. Sitton has played well enough to earn another sizeable deal. I know that the cap is reportedly going to keep going up but I just don't see us being in a position to spend like other teams. We have too much internal talent that is going to need to be kept.

I think it would be possible to re-sign Nelson and Cobb even if we would sign Byrd. Sitton and Lang are under contract for another three years, a little bit early to worry about extending their contracts.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be possible to re-sign Nelson and Cobb even if we would sign Byrd. Sitton and Lang are under contract for another three years, a little bit early to worry about extending their contracts.

You're right... I don't know what I was thinking with this so disregard lol. Either way I don't see Byrd as an option

D

Deleted member 6794

Either way I don't see Byrd as an option

While I respect your opinion, I don´t understand the reasoning behind it. IMO Byrd is as good as Nick Collins was at the time he got injured and if TT would have let Collins walk cause he would have asked for too much money people would have bashed TT for it. Just because Byrd played for another team doesn´t mean it would be a bad idea to sign one of the best free safeties in the league.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sign Chris Clemons "Miami Dolphins." Way more cost effective signing.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I respect your opinion, I don´t understand the reasoning behind it. IMO Byrd is as good as Nick Collins was at the time he got injured and if TT would have let Collins walk cause he would have asked for too much money people would have bashed TT for it. Just because Byrd played for another team doesn´t mean it would be a bad idea to sign one of the best free safeties in the league.

I think it's 2 things. 1. I think I've just accepted the fact that big name free agents probably arent an option here (outside of Woodson ofcourse) and I'm perfectly fine with that. 2. I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't know a whole hell of alot about the guy. I don't doubt that he can play but how much better is he then the guys who could cost half that? How will he be used in our system? Will he help Morgan get back to where he once was? There are alot of moving parts to making this kind of a decision.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's 2 things. 1. I think I've just accepted the fact that big name free agents probably arent an option here (outside of Woodson ofcourse) and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I´m totally fine with TT not overspending on free agents as well. I think signing Byrd wouldn´t qualify as overspending even if the guy asks for $10 million a year.

I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't know a whole hell of alot about the guy. I don't doubt that he can play but how much better is he then the guys who could cost half that? How will he be used in our system? Will he help Morgan get back to where he once was? There are alot of moving parts to making this kind of a decision.

He would improve the defense tremendously. With him the Packers would be able to play with a single high safety, meaning the defense could put another guy in the box, helping out the run defense as well.

The coverage would improve immediately as his coverage skills are pretty amazing. During his NFL career he has been targeted only 121 times, intercepting 22 (!!!) of these passes. Our safeties last year, as well all know, had zero interceptions on 84 targets.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m totally fine with TT not overspending on free agents as well. I think signing Byrd wouldn´t qualify as overspending even if the guy asks for $10 million a year.

He would improve the defense tremendously. With him the Packers would be able to play with a single high safety, meaning the defense could put another guy in the box, helping out the run defense as well.

The coverage would improve immediately as his coverage skills are pretty amazing. During his NFL career he has been targeted only 121 times, intercepting 22 (!!!) of these passes. Our safeties last year, as well all know, had zero interceptions on 84 targets.

Fair enough. This is why I like participating here, good conversation and lots of information. I still don't think it happens but good to know that it would be money well spent if it did.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is pretty damn impressive.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I dont care if we had Byrd, Revis, Sherman etc.... if the pass rush does not get even a sufficent amount of push to the QB, any....ANY QB will stand in and pick us apart. No matter how good a secondary is, if we dont hit home on the rush, some WR is eventually gunna come open....since we play a lot of softer zone, that being picked apart will happen more often. We just don't have the guys with the physical attributes and the know how to play a good consistant man to man coverage.... not to mention when we actually do switch to a man coverage, the damn LB's let the damn QB take off and run for 20 yards. There are many holes to fix and I agree it needs to start in the secondary, but a great pass rush only needs a servicable secondary to make a good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts