Jags will be head coach of Boston next year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
I don't understand the Steve Mariucci suggestion, unless we want an OC who is as much like Sherman/Rossley as possible without actually being Sherman/Rossley.

What proof do you have to support mariucci would be like sherman/rossley?

Like Sherman/Rossley, Mariucci is a WCO coach who is conservative in his approach and puts an extra emphasis on the running game. A lot of people seem to think the Mariucci is an innovative, swashbuckling type of coach, maybe just because he looks young for his age (he's only a year younger than Sherman) and he presents himself very well in public.

I've watched many games by Mariucci-coached teams, and his approach is solid and worked pretty well in San Francisco when he had good players. I just don't think he's going to bring anything new to the Packer offense.

McCarthy will stick with the zone blocking approach, as he should. This is not the time to go back to the past with a guy like Mariucci.

That's not proof, thats opinion. I respect that. I disagree though. From what I saw, he was a decent coach. With the Lions, he was crap, the team failed him OR you can say Matt Millen failed him because he brought in crap players who gave up on the coach.

I don't know that Mariucci is the 'answer', but I'm very confident he's better than Rossley. Sherman when he played to win was pretty good.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine with Philben as the OC as long as McCarthy is going to be the one calling plays. A little off topic, it seems to be a decent chance that Romeo Crennel could get fired in Cleveland, would anyone be up for him as the DC?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
go_pack_go said:
I'd be fine with Philben as the OC as long as McCarthy is going to be the one calling plays. A little off topic, it seems to be a decent chance that Romeo Crennel could get fired in Cleveland, would anyone be up for him as the DC?

BRING HIM IN! He'd switch us to the 3-4 and I think that'd be good!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
go_pack_go said:

Boy did you just open a can of worms! I would have agreed with you until I saw Cullen Jenkins playing DE this week.

I don't know enough about what the corners and safeties responsibilities in the 3-4 are, but I believe they play zone. That would not be condusive to the skills of Harris and Woodson.

From what I am witnessing lately with the D, I would be willing to bet Tromadz' left nut that KGB is being eliminated from the equation.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
go_pack_go said:

Boy did you just open a can of worms! I would have agreed with you until I saw Cullen Jenkins playing DE this week.

I don't know enough about what the corners and safeties responsibilities in the 3-4 are, but I believe they play zone. That would not be condusive to the skills of Harris and Woodson.

From what I am witnessing lately with the D, I would be willing to bet Tromadz' left nut that KGB is being eliminated from the equation.

You'd agree if Cullen didn't get three sacks? I think Cullens performance would increase the chance of switching to a 3-4. Cullen did good. Teams have problems defending against the 3-4, so I hear.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Zero2Cool said:
go_pack_go said:

You'd agree if Cullen didn't get three sacks? I think Cullens performance would increase the chance of switching to a 3-4. Cullen did good. Teams have problems defending against the 3-4, so I hear.

Touche' Z. I think we have had the D -lineman to make the switch for a couple years now less KGB and Montgomery. Until this year we couldn't have made the switch with the scrap heap linebacking corp we had. Hawk and Poppinga could rush from the OLB spots, and it would give Hodge a place to play in the middle.

I think if a decision were to be made to make the switch, it would have to be pre draft, and different coaches would have to be brought in. I also think we would need to carry at least eight linebacker, all of whom should be able to play. This would create a problem.

Z, I would't mind the switch, but it is a big transition and we are probably better off staying with what we have.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Z, I would't mind the switch, but it is a big transition and we are probably better off staying with what we have.

If its a switch through a PROVEN DC like Romeo, I'm down for it. If its a switch to 3 - 4 through a first time or not so proven DC. I am against the switch.

Members online

Latest posts