Jags will be head coach of Boston next year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just announced it on espn.

espn coverage:

By Joe Schad
Special to ESPN.com

Green Bay offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski will be named head coach at Boston College, sources with the Packers and Boston College said Monday.

Jagodzinski confirmed late last week that he had a "very, very positive interview" with BC officials but refused to say more.

Jagodzinski is expected to be introduced at a news conference on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.

Jagodzinski is in his first season as Packers' offensive coordinator under Mike McCarthy. His previous seven seasons were with the Atlanta Falcons and Packers as offensive line and tight ends coach.

Jagodzinski coached 14 years in college and was Boston College's offensive coordinator in 1997-98, with his offenses averaging more than 400 yards in each of his two seasons. In each season, BC also allowed the fewest sacks in the Big East.

Boston College has been looking for a replacement for Tom O'Brien, who left the school earlier this month to take over at North Carolina State.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bonus coverage from JS:

But Jagodzinski said the Packers would be fine because offensive line coach Joe Philbin and assistant line coach James Campen knew the system and the players were progressing.

"Absolutely," he said. "They've got the players and they have a year invested in it. I anticipate us being better next year, I really do. It's just a matter of guys getting experience and we've gotten a ton of experience. And we've gotten better every week."

"I watched tape from the game last week and those young guys really performed well. That's a testament to the guys coaching them, Joe and 'Campy.' They're doing a heck of a job with those kids."

Philbin declined to comment on the possibility of Jagodzinski leaving but said he felt comfortable teaching the zone-blocking scheme.

"I would hope I know our scheme well enough now," he said. "It's Week 14."

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this like a rat leaving a sinking ship? No, it is a better job.
In the two years after being fired as tight ends coach, he has gone from offensive line coach to college head coach in one year.

The problem for the Packers is finding an OC. If their search is not done right you will have a new guy who wants to change everything. From terminology to zone blocking. Some players will be gone because they will not "fit" the new system.

Change costs time and money.

However, in the case of the defensive secondary and special teams, some coaching changes should be made for the betterment of the team.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our players have to learn more blocking crap im going to be pissed off we pretty much have to stick with the zone block we cant be flip flopping.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a quicker step back to an NFL head coaching job. GM's like to hire people with head coaching experience in a big arena, albeit college.

Jags can spend a few years there, if he does well, he will get a head coaching NFL job based also on his pro experience.... He likely would have sat in Green Bay for awhile and possibly never been offered a head coaching job in the pros. On ESPN the other day the talk was that the prime jobs are now the college jobs because the pro jobs are brutal on guys with young families. College jobs give them much more time at home.

So before anyone else says it: No lets not bring back Tom Rossley.

I think you will see a shuffling of assistants until the end of the year, then MM will name a new OC off the current staff. It would be dumb to bring in someone new.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our players have to learn more blocking crap im going to be pissed off we pretty much have to stick with the zone block we cant be flip flopping.

It's not like this scheme has been so overly effective, they're still keeping in extra TEs and FBs to block just to give the offense a chance. We've also got three OL starters left over from the previous scheme, (Clifton, Tauscher & Wells) so a switch back wouldn't seem to hurt anyone.

All-in-all I don't care what blocking scheme they use, as long as it works.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we won't have a non-zone blocking OC because our Olinemen are all here FOR the zone blocking scheme.

that wouldn't make sense.

its like bringing in a basketball coach whose philosophy is postup\dunk when all his players are 5'2.

It will be a guy familiar with ZB.

Reaction score
This makes me a sad panda. :(

You ccan't have someone of Jags pedigree hired every off-season, he is a once in a while coach. He learnt from the best, and learned his techniques. I'm not sold on Philbin, IIRC the last time he ran a ZB scheme was quite a few years ago and times change.

Interesting though to see who'll be our OC. The fact that McCarthy runs a WCO could lead to some interesting canidates.

I wonder what people will say if I threw out Mike Sherman's name.... :?:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
we won't have a non-zone blocking OC because our Olinemen are all here FOR the zone blocking scheme.

its like bringing in a basketball coach whose philosophy is postup\dunk when all his players are 5'2.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject here, but why do we HAVE to have a zone blocking OC to succeed?

I really don't know the indepth workings of how that all meshes. I alwasy blindly assumed the OC has an offense and the OL coach determined the style of blocking for his linemen.

The OC does make the playbook or do we use McCarthys playbook?

So many questions... I can't just look up stats for this :(

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well id assume our OC would have to have some familiarity with the scheme, if hes gonna be the big dog on offense, and with everything starting on the offensive line...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
well id assume our OC would have to have some familiarity with the scheme, if hes gonna be the big dog on offense, and with everything starting on the offensive line...

Oh, I thought every form of blocking had some flavor of zone blocking in it already. Shows ya what I know.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Oh, I thought every form of blocking had some flavor of zone blocking in it already. Shows ya what I know.

they do, but our line is mostly zone, cuz of the guys we got(to do just that) but we need a guy who really knows his zone ****, not somewhat, not semi, not a little bit...but really knows it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it kind of sucks to lose our OC after just one year, but at least it shows that McCarthy had hired a quality guy. He has already made it clear that the zone blocking scheme will stay. That's something McCarthy wanted even before he hired Jags, and as others have said, our personnel have been selected especially to fit that scheme. I suspect that OL coach Philbin will be promoted to OC.

I don't understand the Steve Mariucci suggestion, unless we want an OC who is as much like Sherman/Rossley as possible without actually being Sherman/Rossley.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't understand the Steve Mariucci suggestion, unless we want an OC who is as much like Sherman/Rossley as possible without actually being Sherman/Rossley.

What proof do you have to support mariucci would be like sherman/rossley?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern is that if we have a new coordinator from outside the team, and they change all the plays, then Favre probably (in my mind) won't come back. I can't see him wanting to learn another playbook for the second year in a row. Look for an inside promotion.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Especially after TT has used a draft to find linemen of the profile to fit the zone blocking scheme. After having had one draft - 2005 wasted because he was drafting for a different scheme, he's unlikely to let that happen again.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
My concern is that if we have a new coordinator from outside the team, and they change all the plays, then Favre probably (in my mind) won't come back. I can't see him wanting to learn another playbook for the second year in a row. Look for an inside promotion.

I think we are using McCarthy's playbook more than anything.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Mariccui wants a NFL head Coaching job, he would not accept a OC job at Green Bay where the head Coach Mike McCarthy does the play calling. He also decided to take time off from coaching and will be receiving compensation on the last year of his contract with the Detriot Lions through '07 season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

What proof do you have to support mariucci would be like sherman/rossley?

Like Sherman/Rossley, Mariucci is a WCO coach who is conservative in his approach and puts an extra emphasis on the running game. A lot of people seem to think the Mariucci is an innovative, swashbuckling type of coach, maybe just because he looks young for his age (he's only a year younger than Sherman) and he presents himself very well in public.

I've watched many games by Mariucci-coached teams, and his approach is solid and worked pretty well in San Francisco when he had good players. I just don't think he's going to bring anything new to the Packer offense.

McCarthy will stick with the zone blocking approach, as he should. This is not the time to go back to the past with a guy like Mariucci.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Media seems to suggest that Philbin stands a good chance. Given that MM does the play calling and manages the passing offense, perhaps someone from within with a strong O line focus might be a good thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Media seems to suggest that Philbin stands a good chance. Given that MM does the play calling and manages the passing offense, perhaps someone from within with a strong O line focus might be a good thing.

I am looking for a in house hiring and not someone from the outside to take his spot..

However I could see if someone from the outside that does have coaching of the zone blocking system get hired..But if that doe shappen I hope the guy would have just as much if not more experince that Jags had.

Members online

Latest posts