Jags gets pissed, and Spitz knows what is expected of him.

Reaction score
Jags gets pissed:

Green Bay - After a rather mild start to training camp, Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski added a little spice Wednesday with a salty evaluation of his unit's practice performance.

Jagodzinski identified a couple of individuals who weren't holding up their end of the bargain but laid into the entire unit for its uneven display.

"Inconsistency," fumed Jagodzinski. "Pre-snap penalties. Guys not lining up the right way, jumping offside. All that is is focus and it ain't nothing to do with talent. I could tell you to line up right and you'd go right. I could tell you to line up left and you'd go left. All that is is (lack of) consistency and lack of focus. Today really bothered me. It's not going to be tolerated."

Coach Mike McCarthy eliminated the night practice and changed the morning workout from a full-padded practice to shorts and shells (lightweight shoulder padding), but that didn't seem to motivate the team. There were drops, penalties, fumbles and interceptions.

The Packers have two practices today and a walk-through Friday before their exhibition opener against the San Diego Chargers. Given it will be McCarthy's first game as Packers coach and a sloppy performance would reflect poorly on the coaches, it's understandable why Jagodzinski was pitching a fit.

"You have to string good practices together," Jagodzinski said. "Set the bar and you don't accept anything less than that. I don't care. Get with the program. It's not like they don't know what to expect. The young guys they have to grow up fast."

When asked about veteran wide receiver Rod Gardner, who made several big catches but also had a ball stripped from him and apparently had some assignment errors, Jagodzinski didn't pull punches.

"He knows what's expected of him," he said. "Consistency. Go play like a pro. That's what's expected of him. There's nothing else to say about him. Play like a pro. Come out here and go to work. Bring your lunch bucket and go. I'm not just on him. It's on the group. When one guy does it, it harms the whole group, all 11 of them."

When asked about rookie receiver Cory Rodgers, who continues to struggle holding on to the ball, he said, "He's inconsistent. We need to be more consistent in practice in catching balls and making plays."

When asked about false start penalties committed by left tackles Junius Coston and Josh Bourke, which earned them immediate banishment to the sideline, Jagodzinski said, "As soon as they have one of those they're out. You can't do that to your football team. If you're first and 10, now you're sitting there first and 15. Everybody is responsible to everybody else. You have to get 11 guys going in the same direction.

"The pre-snap stuff bothers me a lot. It wrecks the tempo of practice. We're all about tempo and being fast. We want to get in 70 plays a game. We're not going to do that doing what we did today."

Well this is a welcome sight. I as happy to see them call out players, especially Gardner. God I hope somethign works with him. Also nice to know penalties are something that they are working on, hard.

Spitz is showing he knows what to do:

Jagodzinski conceded to a degree of surprise when guard Jason Spitz practiced Wednesday less than 24 hours after limping off with a high-ankle injury. Spitz was moving somewhat gingerly but made it through a full workout.

"I wouldn't even classify that as tough," Spitz said. "At this point in camp everybody's got something. If it hurts you ice it down afterwards and you get over it. I wanted to go back out yesterday, but they wouldn't let me. Brought me in for X-rays. I'm fine. Not a big deal."

Said Jagodzinski: "We need more guys like that."

Nice to hear. Sounds like he has cemented a place at RG.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I like Spitz's attitude. As for Jags, when we start playing against other teams we'll find out whether the players are listening to him or if he's just blowing off steam.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think jags has enough support from other players to be exploding like this. Im sure guys like wells\tauscher\clifton (and more importantly MM and TT, and FAVRE, who suffers the most for their mistakes) have Jags back.

Also, GB just signed ANOTHER OLINEMEN. Get the message, boys?!?!?!

I love this team.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, Jags wants consistancy. As in he wants guys to be consistant. Consistancy is the key to being consistant, and Jags wants consistancy.

:lol:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm liking the hard-nosed approach - something we've been in dire need of for quite some time, imho!

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I do like the way Jags handled the situation.. I don't like the fact that he had to handle it.. especially so soon before our game against the Chargers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he coulda pretended it didnt exist, like sherman and his coaches would have. would you prefer to handle it THAT way?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jags gets pissed, and Spitz knows what is expected of hi

tromadz said:
he coulda pretended it didnt exist, like sherman and his coaches would have. would you prefer to handle it THAT way?

No.. I would prefer it if the players wouldn't screw up. :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone screws up, from brett favre to al harris

lets just hope they attack the problem, and get things to the best they can. Jags might be one of those "im never happy" type of coaches, so....we'll see saturday!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice read,

Good to hear that Spitz is gutting it out. Most players like a Cledius Hunt would turn an injury like that into a 2 week thing but Spitz got out there in a day.

Nice to hear Jago criticizing the line. The 1st team line was awful last Saturday. I’d like to see the starting group play together in at least one preseason game before Chicago comes too town.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jags gets pissed, and Spitz knows what is expected of hi

I think it's great that Jag's is pushing them. Like that attitude.

Spitz is making great strides in TC.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts