Jagodzinski sets pace for mental toughness

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

Jeff Jagodzinski is gaining a reputation for throwing tempo tantrums.

The Green Bay Packers' offensive coordinator wants players to practice at game speed in individual drills during training camp. There is a method to his madness. He wants the offense to go into the team period of practice feeling drained.

The upside is that it conditions players to concentrate while they are catching their breath. The downside is that it may contribute to mental mistakes such as missed assignments and pre-snap penalties, and there has been a considerable amount of both.

It can lead to some sloppy play in practices and preseason games, but with patience and diligence, the payoff can be significant. The exhaustive individual drills, followed by intense team sessions, should create a well-conditioned, mentally tough unit.

The concentration level that is required to function when fatigued is multiplied, because the Packers are implementing a new scheme. If the offense appears sloppy and out of sync in the preseason opener at San Diego on Saturday night, it may be easy to assume the unit was poorly prepared.

On the contrary, it may be because the offense is building toward the regular season opener, and today's sacrifices will become tomorrow's successes.

Scott Wells sees the logic in it.

"This year, our practices are a lot more up tempo as far as individual periods leading into the team periods," he said. "By the time we get to the team period, guys are more fatigued, definitely, but that's good, because you're fatigued during the game."

It remains to be seen whether the offense will command the ability to execute in less-than-ideal circumstances. The approach is a departure from the previous regime, which paced itself during individual drills and maxed out during team periods.

That approach may have led to a false sense of security last year. When the game was on the line and the offense needed a first down, too often it melted down.

The key for the offense is to steadily erase the miscues. Building a strong foundation is sensible, and the big-picture philosophy is a welcome change, but it can't take forever and it can't be used as an excuse.

The Chargers' defense offers a stiff test because it plays a 3-4 alignment with above-average personnel. The Packers' offense faces the additional challenge of playing its first preseason game on the road.

Wells, a first-year starter at center, offered simple advice to his linemates.

"I told them to relax and trust their instincts," he said. "They know the system. They're well prepared. I'll be making the calls. Listen to what I say and do. Trust the calls, and we'll be fine."

Wells said the offense gradually has reduced its mistakes.

"We are eliminating a lot of those problems as we go along," he said. "You want everybody to be onside. No false starts. No missed assignments. You want everybody knowing what he's doing. Basically, the idea is to relax and communicate."

That, and go 100 percent during individual drills or risk Jagodzinski's wrath.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected]

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might take a while for Jags to get those guys in gear. Getting guys to play in that zone blocking scheme is no easy task. I hope your linemen are athletic and can move around fluidly, but he will get them there. He's a great coach, and understands the system well.

Reaction score
FilthySouth said:
It might take a while for Jags to get those guys in gear. Getting guys to play in that zone blocking scheme is no easy task. I hope your linemen are athletic and can move around fluidly, but he will get them there. He's a great coach, and understands the system well.

If you don't mind answering this question, but what do you think Jags can do with rookies? We have players to fit the system physically, but given that they are rookies, can Jags get them to cut down on rookie mistakes?

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
FilthySouth said:

If you don't mind answering this question, but what do you think Jags can do with rookies? We have players to fit the system physically, but given that they are rookies, can Jags get them to cut down on rookie mistakes?

I actually think that may be better. The wont have any preconceived notions about the position, sans their college experience, but if they are physically prototypical in size and athleticism, than Jags will get them there. I would say try and hold back an opinion until week five. Thats about the time it took for Gibbs to get our guys into gear.

Reaction score
FilthySouth said:
FilthySouth said:

I actually think that may be better. The wont have any preconceived notions about the position, sans their college experience, but if they are physically prototypical in size and athleticism, than Jags will get them there. I would say try and hold back an opinion until week five. Thats about the time it took for Gibbs to get our guys into gear.

:shock: Week 5. :-?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I suggest honestly. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but the problem lies in thier technique and not so much on "mistakes."

As far as blocking for runs there's little they can do until they change thier technique. These guys fit the mold because they are athletic but when it comes to executing the block they were getting man handled. Colledge played almost straight up and down which is his biggest fundemental problem right now. He seemed to look sluggish because his initial body movement was up and not forward. When that happens you can not get proper hand placement because the Defender is already moving forward and it's near impossible to get proper placement on a moving defender when he is going inside, outside, twisting, etc. He has to fire off the line forward and as his hands come up he tries to raise up thus lifting the defender slightly causing him to be lightfooted and easy to control.

It's not an easy fix because he is comforatable doing it HIS way. When you don't use proper footwork or technique and you are smaller than the defender you are nothing more than an obstacle in the way to the backfield.

As far as pass blocking goes both Spitz and Colledge looked to be just to slow and small to put up any kind of fight. Honestly, they looked Weak to me on top of it. Building strength would be a good start. The feet obviously are not quick enough either. Your feet should drive your body and not the other way around. They seemed to try to reach and grab instead of using thier atleticism to keep thier body in front of them.

IMO, the only way to counter any of this is to develop a gameplan around it. The problem is in the NFL and with a QB who's not very nimble your options are very limited.

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FilthySouth said:
[quote="all about da packers":3pog1fpv]
FilthySouth said:

:shock: Week 5. :-?[/quote:3pog1fpv]

Guys on the Falcons' Boards were talking about benching Dunn in week 4 of the 2004 season, the production was so bad. We went on to lead the league in rushing the past two seasons.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FilthySouth said:
FilthySouth said:
[quote="all about da packers":pbwo8rpk]
FilthySouth said:

:shock: Week 5. :-?

Guys on the Falcons' Boards were talking about benching Dunn in week 4 of the 2004 season, the production was so bad. We went on to lead the league in rushing the past two seasons.[/quote:pbwo8rpk]

That was week 5 WITH Experienced guys however. Thats why I my outlook is dim

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
conveniently missed the part where filthysouth said we're in a better spot cuz we have rookies. convenient.

i know thats just filthys opinion though.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, your right, It will be easier with Rookies. Thats insane. Better yet, lets just get some of our WR to play guard. The less the experience the better

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah, your right, It will be easier with Rookies. Thats insane. Better yet, lets just get some of our WR to play guard. The less the experience the better

or we can get the ****** olinemen from your team you coach. yeah, good stuff. there goes your "im a coach" credibility. you criticize this line to hell, yet coach a bad one...funny.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

That might work with the Packers Sweep.

Where did I put Mike McCarthys email?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know man. I was playing a game of Madden, and 3 linemen got hurt in 1 game, so Vinitari stepped in. He was awesome :lol:

Couldn't resist. Resume real discussion.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

Where did I put Mike McCarthys email?

ask the pizza man! he has it!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I don't know man. I was playing a game of Madden, and 3 linemen got hurt in 1 game, so Vinitari stepped in. He was awesome :lol:

Couldn't resist. Resume real discussion.

we needed some levity in this poop throwing contest. some of you are serious drags.

yeah i use 70's slang occasionally..what of it!?!

Reaction score
I'm telling you, stick a couple of hot cheerleaders at the G spots. No D-lineman/LB in their right mind would push them gals away to get to the QB... :twisted:

Heck I say Ryan take one for the team, how about signing your wife up? :p

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

or we can get the ****** olinemen from your team you coach. yeah, good stuff. there goes your "im a coach" credibility. you criticize this line to hell, yet coach a bad one...funny.

What the hell are you talking about? My O-Line does stink but there is a difference. You see, I have to coach what I get. I don't have the luxury of drafting people, trading, free agency, etc.

Unlike TT, who trades away our best reciever for a crap OG, I take what I get and do what I can with them. Boy, you're not real bright I see

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyledriver, my freshman team in high school had a line with 5 guys under 200 pounds. We ran 50 times a game. Coaching can overcome all at the High School level or lower.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

What the hell are you talking about? My O-Line does stink but there is a difference. You see, I have to coach what I get.

be creative, isnt that what you preach, coach?

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . stick a couple of hot cheerleaders at the G spots. . .

I totally want to make a naughty joke out of this. It practically writes itself.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I know. The Problem is I have no kids over 150 and they just don't care to block properly. We will see whathappens because we havn't even started our games yet but last year I had easily over 1000 pounds across the line. To go from that to this makes me extremely nervous.

Members online

Latest posts