Jagodzinski says offense will be fine if he leaves

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - Regardless of whether he's offered the head-coaching job at Boston College, Jeff Jagodzinski said the foundation for offensive success had been laid in Green Bay.

The West Allis native and first-year offensive coordinator for the Packers didn't want to talk Thursday about his interview with Boston College officials two days earlier, other than to characterize it as "positive."

"I just want to talk about Detroit," Jagodzinski said, referring to Green Bay's opponent Sunday. "It was a positive interview. . . . I don't want to talk about that right now. You guys know what kind of place that is. Very prestigious. That's really all I'm going to say."

Boston College has been in search of a coach since Tom O'Brien left for North Carolina State earlier this month. Jagodzinski, 43, who interviewed with athletic director Gene DeFilippo and vice president of human resources Leo V. Sullivan, is one of three NFL assistants the Eagles are considering.

According to the Boston Globe, it appears the school will whittle its list to two as soon as today and possibly fly the candidates to the campus for another interview Saturday. It's thought that Jagodzinski and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple are the leading candidates for the job.

Should Jagodzinski be offered the job and accept, it would be a blow to the Packers' zone-blocking run scheme. He learned the system under Alex Gibbs while with the Atlanta Falcons and was hired by first-year head coach Mike McCarthy to install it in Green Bay.

But Jagodzinski said the Packers would be fine because offensive line coach Joe Philbin and assistant line coach James Campen knew the system and the players were progressing.

"Absolutely," he said. "They've got the players and they have a year invested in it. I anticipate us being better next year, I really do. It's just a matter of guys getting experience and we've gotten a ton of experience. And we've gotten better every week."

"I watched tape from the game last week and those young guys really performed well. That's a testament to the guys coaching them, Joe and 'Campy.' They're doing a heck of a job with those kids."

Philbin declined to comment on the possibility of Jagodzinski leaving but said he felt comfortable teaching the zone-blocking scheme.

"I would hope I know our scheme well enough now," he said. "It's Week 14."

Tauscher practices: Right tackle Mark Tauscher practiced for the first time since against Minnesota on Nov. 12 with a groin injury and was upgraded from "doubtful" to "questionable" on the injury report.

It's still unlikely Tauscher would play against Detroit, but he could be ready Thursday against Minnesota.

"Just trying to get the rust off him, the first day he's in pads," Philbin said. "He's been working hard with the trainers, doing a lot of different things to get himself ready to go. Today, he did some things in the individual period and moved around a little bit. It was good to have him out there.
"We'll see how it goes and where it takes us. . . . He's had a significant muscle situation and whenever it gets good enough where he can really, really go I'm sure he'll be back in there. When that is, who knows?"

Happy Holiday: After signing with the Packers on Dec. 5 and practicing just three days, wide receiver Carlyle Holiday not only played against San Francisco, he caught a pass for three yards in the 30-19 victory.

Holiday admitted that quarterback Brett Favre wasn't supposed to throw him the ball but called an audible on first and 10 from the Packers' 14-yard line with 5 minutes 9 seconds left.

"It was a little bit of a surprise," Holiday said. "Brett wasn't supposed to throw it at all because we were trying to run the clock out. He said, 'I got yelled at in my head-set.' "

Holiday, who played quarterback at Notre Dame, was looking forward to an expanded role against Detroit.

"With the injuries we have at receiver you know your number is going to be called," he said. "Not only that, I'm probably going to get thrown out there a little more on special teams."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's he supposed to say. If I leave we are going to suck. Talk about an ego then. Losing him is going to be a blow for the offensive line. The skill players will be alright though.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A more appropriate headline to the article might have been, "Jagodzinski says assistants capable of continuing zone blocking run scheme"

Members online

Latest posts