Jackson may be the O-lines Problem

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to question weather or not our running backs are as bad as the O-line. Wynn and Grant haven't showed anything yet. I am disappointed in Wynn and think Lumpkin would do a better job. From what I've seen Jackson may be our best back for now because he is not playing.

We may have cut our best back as it relates to our offensive line. Tyrell Sutton may not be the best back with a good powerful offensive line but his shiftyness, size, and speed relates better to our offensive lines tallent. Grants value is that he hits the hole with a burst of speed, but that hole has to be there. Sutton has more of the ability to adapt to what the O-line can give him. Sutton probably won't hit the long rushing TD, but will get that 2-5 yards a play after getting hit Seems with Grant if he gets a hand on him he goes down, thats where I saw value with Sutton.

Sutton is gone and I think the answer is in Brandon Jackson. He needs to get healthy. I believe he is a better runner than Grant when someone gets a hand on him, getting more yards after contact. Lets be honest, our O-line is going to allow contact, so lets give the ball to a back that can make some yards after contact.

How many times does Grant have one good run, then on the next two gets hit in the back field for a loss that puts use in 3rd and long. A 2nd and 9 goes to 3rd and 11, not 3rd and 6.

We need to take care of the short and hard yards first and then the big plays will come. Jackson may be the answer to our O-line problems. If we get some kind of short running game going, play action will help in our pass blocking. Let see whats the word MM uses all the time "fundamentals". The simlple act of a consistant short yardage running game may be the answer to O-line.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they never commited to the run the whole game as the announcers had hit on during the game. 15 touches is not nearly enough to establish a running game.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isn't running back, it's CONSISTENT run-blocking from the O-line. I also believe it has almost everything to do with the silly zone blocking scheme. When it works, it works, but for Green Bay, it appears to work a lot less often than it does not work.

I've always question the employment of this scheme primarily because as a GM you're now adding another variable into an already complicated equation. It is difficult enough to find solid, consistent offensive lineman - finding solid, consistent offensive lineman that can also pull of the ZBS is simply making your life as a GM more difficult. I really don't understand the mentality.

I've argued to death this ZBS farce on other blogs with die-hards that would tell me the reason the ZBS doesn't work is because the players are not executing the scheme properly. Then I'd say, duh, and counter that therefore, this means we need to get better players on the team - those that can successfully pull off the ZBS. The kool-aid drinkers would then tell me that the lineman we have are fine - they just have to get more experience. At this point, I'm basically ramming my head into my laptop in sheer frustration over how many fans refuse to understand where the real problems lie.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isn't running back, it's CONSISTENT run-blocking from the O-line. I also believe it has almost everything to do with the silly zone blocking scheme. When it works, it works, but for Green Bay, it appears to work a lot less often than it does not work.

I've always question the employment of this scheme primarily because as a GM you're now adding another variable into an already complicated equation. It is difficult enough to find solid, consistent offensive lineman - finding solid, consistent offensive lineman that can also pull of the ZBS is simply making your life as a GM more difficult. I really don't understand the mentality.

I've argued to death this ZBS farce on other blogs with die-hards that would tell me the reason the ZBS doesn't work is because the players are not executing the scheme properly. Then I'd say, duh, and counter that therefore, this means we need to get better players on the team - those that can successfully pull off the ZBS. The kool-aid drinkers would then tell me that the lineman we have are fine - they just have to get more experience. At this point, I'm basically ramming my head into my laptop in sheer frustration over how many fans refuse to understand where the real problems lie.

Haus, I agree with basically everything you've said. Especially when it comes to the O-line. I've backed up the guys on the line as much as anyone else, and they have failed. Whether they are good players in the wrong scheme, or just bad is really irrelevant at this point. The question is, how will it change?

Not sure if you agree or not, but nothing is going to change until TT is gone. He rarely surprises us with his drafting and FA ways. It's possible he makes a move on a big name LT at some point. He did grab Pickett and Woodson who were both quality grabs. But a star LT doesn't mean the rest of the line is any good.

So is the only way to truely rectify our problems to dump TT, then in fact dump the rest of the coaching staff and start fresh? I think so. Because not many GM's change their way of thinking and will admit to mistakes until they are canned. I'm not necessarily asking for TT's head, or MM's at this point. But can we really think that it's going to drastically change, when it hasn't for the last 5 years?

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Yeah I think MM is on the Hot seat until further notice. While I don't see TT leaving anytime soon, I could easily see another head coach in green and gold next year. I think I would pee myself if someone like Mike Shanahan or Holmgren got the job, but I just don't see that happening. Hopefully Capers and his staff stay for a while.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Yeah I think MM is on the Hot seat until further notice. While I don't see TT leaving anytime soon, I could easily see another head coach in green and gold next year. I think I would pee myself if someone like Mike Shanahan or Holmgren got the job, but I just don't see that happening. Hopefully Capers and his staff stay for a while.
There's no way. I think that NFC Championship game run bought McCarthy 5 years of goodwill. At least.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haus, I agree with basically everything you've said. Especially when it comes to the O-line. I've backed up the guys on the line as much as anyone else, and they have failed. Whether they are good players in the wrong scheme, or just bad is really irrelevant at this point. The question is, how will it change?

Not sure if you agree or not, but nothing is going to change until TT is gone. He rarely surprises us with his drafting and FA ways. It's possible he makes a move on a big name LT at some point. He did grab Pickett and Woodson who were both quality grabs. But a star LT doesn't mean the rest of the line is any good.

So is the only way to truely rectify our problems to dump TT, then in fact dump the rest of the coaching staff and start fresh? I think so. Because not many GM's change their way of thinking and will admit to mistakes until they are canned. I'm not necessarily asking for TT's head, or MM's at this point. But can we really think that it's going to drastically change, when it hasn't for the last 5 years?

Well, this is where I become slightly uncomfortable because I'd hate to lose everything TT brings to the table simply because he refuses to accept the fact that he has no idea how to draft O-lineman.

It's really a tough situation and Packers fans are abnormally forgiving, so I doubt he gets the axe. However, I'm also not comfortable or unsure about putting pressure on TT to make O-line a higher priority in the draft because of his current record in drafting that position.

Also, what makes this so tough to justify is that we all know what our offense is capable of when firing on all cylinders. And, we also know that there will be many games this season where we put up 30+ point and dominate the exploitable defenses. So, we finish 10-6 and make the playoffs - then what? I think it's a little late in TT's game to begin to focus on drafting then developing for the O-line. I'm not sure what the 2010 O-line FA class looks like, but this would appear to be the quickest fix. I've always admired how Wolf drafted decently, but filled immediate needs via free agency.

It's a tough call, no doubt.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this is where I become slightly uncomfortable because I'd hate to lose everything TT brings to the table simply because he refuses to accept the fact that he has no idea how to draft O-lineman.

It's really a tough situation and Packers fans are abnormally forgiving, so I doubt he gets the axe. However, I'm also not comfortable or unsure about putting pressure on TT to make O-line a higher priority in the draft because of his current record in drafting that position.

Also, what makes this so tough to justify is that we all know what our offense is capable of when firing on all cylinders. And, we also know that there will be many games this season where we put up 30+ point and dominate the exploitable defenses. So, we finish 10-6 and make the playoffs - then what? I think it's a little late in TT's game to begin to focus on drafting then developing for the O-line. I'm not sure what the 2010 O-line FA class looks like, but this would appear to be the quickest fix. I've always admired how Wolf drafted decently, but filled immediate needs via free agency.

It's a tough call, no doubt.
To me it's quite simple really. His rebuilding period is done. If this team can't contend, he needs to go. If this team can contend, even if they don't reach the SB, he needs to stay longer.
-
About the incapacity of drafting OL, I think you're right. Maybe he should change his scouts, or add some good ones... He should begin hiring a good OL coach, first of all...

Staff online

Latest posts