Jace Sternberger

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy just came back from injury but didn't make it into the Raiders game. It's possible that we might see him in the final game, but I'm interested to see what he has to offer. The offense could certainly use a quick TE and needs more youth at the position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expecting anything out of a rookie TE is an exercise in futility. If he can become a good TE in this league, I wouldn't expect anything out of him until his third year at the earliest. TEs, generally, take a while to develop in the NFL. If he's good next year I will pleasantly surprised. If he shows anything noteworthy this year, I'll be shocked.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be shocked to see him enter games in certain situations and catch some passes. I hope he gets that opportunity. The same can be said for Tomlin. Just can't see Mercedes making the team.

Reaction score
I think you can expect a development year for a 2nd day TE. But absolutely zero reason he can’t impress during his 2nd season.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm realistic about what to expect, but think that by mid-season we should see some results. I'm thinking that he'll finish the season with +/- 15 catches for 125 yards. For fun I looked up our best Packers tight ends in the Favre/Rodgers era:

Mark Chmura - Yr 1 - 14 games - 2 receptions - 13 yards
Mark Chmura - Yr 2 - 14 games - 14 receptions - 165 yards

Bubba Franks - Yr 1 - 16 games - 34 receptions - 363 yards
Bubba Franks - Yr 2 - 16 games - 36 receptions - 322 yards

Ed West - Yr 1 - 16 games - 6 receptions - 54 yards*
Ed West - Yr 2 - 16 games - 8 receptions - 95 yards*

Jermichael Finley - Yr 1 - 14 games - 6 receptions - 74 yards
Jermichael Finley - Yr 2 - 13 games - 55 receptions - 676 yards

* i was looking to see if anyone caught the nod to Ed West

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not be shocked to see him enter games in certain situations and catch some passes. I hope he gets that opportunity. The same can be said for Tomlin. Just can't see Mercedes making the team.

With Sternberger being a rookie and having been sidelined for the majority of the preseason I fully expect Lewis to make the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm realistic about what to expect, but think that by mid-season we should see some results. I'm thinking that he'll finish the season with +/- 15 catches for 125 yards. For fun I looked up our best Packers tight ends in the Favre/Rodgers era:

Ed tool box

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Sternberger being a rookie and having been sidelined for the majority of the preseason I fully expect Lewis to make the team.

That, and the fact Jimmy Graham is a terrible blocker - Something Lewis excels at.

Tonyan, so the Packers claim, is developing as blocker. If Green bay wants to run the ball as much as they say they do, a blocking tight end is essential. Sternberger appears to be a project.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This on roster bubble player battles:

"Tight end: None. With coach Matt LaFleur’s desire to run the football, veteran Marcedes Lewis figures to make the roster to fill the role of blocker.

“I’m going to brag on him a little bit,” Rodgers said. “He’s really transformed his body, I think. He looks leaner, stronger and he’s running well. I really give him a lot of credit for an older guy to come back in the shape he did. He put a hell of a lot of work in. He’s going to be an important part of our squad and our locker room with his leadership.”

https://mavensports.io/packers/news...s-in-preseason-finale--5lhHjFF9Uao6kstwEKTaw/

I think many Packers fans are going to be shocked by the number of rushing attempts we will see from Matt LaFleur's offense. Mercedes Lewis is the top blocking TE in the NFL, and McCarthy didn't even use him last season. Just by chance, Lewis is still with the Packers, and he will show his worth this season. Mark that one down. Mercedes Lewis is a lock for the 53 in 2019.

With that increase in rushing attempts, success will follow. We have another blocker who is a lock for this 53 in FB Danny Vitale. Our OL has had less run blocking reps than nearly the entire NFL over the last 5-10 seasons. It might take a while, 4-5 games before they become proficient, but once they do, look out.

Rodgers is going to have a field day playing against opposing front 7s who must now play honest...

My guess is we will have our RBs splitting 30-40 rushing attempts per game in 2019. Easy. That will be excluding any rushes by AR.

Think back to when Mike Holmgren used to give Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett the rock to close games out 1994-1998. Bennett had 15 att/gm '94-96, Levens had 15 att/gm '95-98. Yeah, its gonna be like that, and more. LaFleur will rush more. Subsequently, the passing game is gonna open up like crazy.

As for Jace Sternberger, I was really surprised at how big the dude is. I think in time he will be a great part of this Packers offense. While he may not contribute much on O in terms of raw numbers as a rookie, I can still see him possibly making some significant contributions this season, as a scoring threat in the red zone, and as a blocker in space on running plays. His in-line blocking will only improve learning from a guy like Mercedes Lewis. What a great opportunity for Sternberger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So do we really keep four TEs assuming Mercedes makes the 53, or do they cut Tonyan (which I think would be a mistake), or try to slip Sternberger onto the practice squad. Someone would snatch him up. We can't fit four TEs on the roster. Could Graham be the surprise veteran cut if the Packers think that Tonyan/Sternberger can be the pass-catching TEs while Lewis fills the blocking role?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't keep 4, My thought has been Lewis is the one in danger of being cut. They know what Graham is and that is why they signed him. If they didn't think he could bring value as that this year, they would have cut him when they would have saved money. I don't think there is much chance they cut him now.

Sternberger will be gone if we cut him. Tonyan is just going to begin to pay dividends. he's part of the future, Lewis is not and his blocking prowess I think is largely in the past.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had 4 TEs make the 53 man roster last year. I believe we will see that again this year.

Tonyan can't be let go. Sternberger cannot be let go either, but maybe he could be IR'd designated to return if he exhibits more symptoms. Sternberger returned to practice last Tuesday. Hoping his concussion a few weeks ago is his last.

I just don't see Mercedes being let go, especially with Rodgers' recent endorsement. He knows McCarthy wasted all opportunities with him last season, and I think he wants Lewis on this team. Graham might prove to be better this year as well, and Rodgers seems to like having him here as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they want to IR him to return he has to make the 53 first, so using IR in this case wouldn't help "stash" anyone so to speak. Keeping 4 TE's likely means we cut a WR that making a case for a real roster spot.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How did the line go. They call me the tool box my name is Ed West. I couldn't catch a ball if it hit me in the chest. I'm not sure the first part is even close but I think the second is right.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Sternberger gets as many reps as possible this week. We need to see what he can do. I know we are going to get a heavy dose of running but I would hope he can manage 16-30 rec this year for 160-300 yds. Maybe 3 TDs if he can get in the open field.

Have any of you guys actually tried the Roster Builder on PackersNews.com?

I keep hearing people say, "I don't see how they keep 4 TEs....I don't see how they keep 3 QBs....etc"

What promising jobbers off the street that you oh so love to complain about are you keeping over these guys? Please inform me. I just recently did it(before Jones was cut) and did both.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they want to IR him to return he has to make the 53 first, so using IR in this case wouldn't help "stash" anyone so to speak. Keeping 4 TE's likely means we cut a WR that making a case for a real roster spot.

Thanks Mondio. That's the kind of stuff I'm not all that good at...

There are places to cut players all up and down this roster. It is just a matter of balancing the scales. Where is the team's overall greatest benefit to keeping a guy? I mean, is it an OLB who will never play, vs. a TE who makes a lot of money, hasn't shown well thus far, but can be a red zone cash machine? Or a blocking TE who will seal his side on important 3rd down run plays, scoring plays? Is it a 4th S who may rarely play, or who has given up too many plays, but, he's a Safety vs. a young OT whose measurables are off the charts, and needs development in his technique? A guy who might not see the field?

Those are tough calls. I believe Sternberger is completely safe for this 53. Gutekunst said in his presser today that he's confident in Sternberger: "he's a really talented kid, and at some point in the season he will really be able to come through for us."

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I kinda think Lewis will help this team more with his ability to block and at least be a threat in the passing game as compared to a 7th WR that might clear waivers and be a practice squad candidate. Basically, I think the value Lewis brings to the team this year outweighs the perennial future value of a young 7th WR. Especially since I think the Packers are going to be running a LOT more than they have in the past.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda think Lewis will help this team more with his ability to block and at least be a threat in the passing game as compared to a 7th WR that might clear waivers and be a practice squad candidate. Basically, I think the value Lewis brings to the team this year outweighs the perennial future value of a young 7th WR. Especially since I think the Packers are going to be running a LOT more than they have in the past.
You’re not slipping Shepherd or Lazard to the PS. And we have to account for FB,s too. They liked Vitale, but is he close to back yet? Do they keep 2 for now? I used WR as an example. You could use DL, OL DB, Safety etc. there are young guys working hard to earn spots. It might make a guy that isn’t in the future plans expendable. I’d put graham in there too but that money is already spent

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Mondio. That's the kind of stuff I'm not all that good at...

There are places to cut players all up and down this roster. It is just a matter of balancing the scales. Where is the team's overall greatest benefit to keeping a guy? I mean, is it an OLB who will never play, vs. a TE who makes a lot of money, hasn't shown well thus far, but can be a red zone cash machine? Or a blocking TE who will seal his side on important 3rd down run plays, scoring plays? Is it a 4th S who may rarely play, or who has given up too many plays, but, he's a Safety vs. a young OT whose measurables are off the charts, and needs development in his technique? A guy who might not see the field?

Those are tough calls. I believe Sternberger is completely safe for this 53. Gutekunst said in his presser today that he's confident in Sternberger: "he's a really talented kid, and at some point in the season he will really be able to come through for us."
That’s right, Sternberger isn’t being cut. They didn’t invest that pick in him to cut him for being hurt in the preseason. They don’t need to see anything from him this week and he’ll still make the team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Boyle could go...that's one and probably available for ps if you want him. There are definitely a few players you might take a chance on letting go with the idea that a few others will go on ir and you could bring them back. You could take a chance and let the 3rd and 4th string RBs go. Maybe the fullback. And maybe some players will go on another teams PS and you could go get them later. Oh yeah...definitely Moore and I would not mind taking a chance on EQS. I do like our young receivers enough to hold on to them. People talk of rookies and pre-season but it often sounds like they have not watched a lot of other pre-season years. I mean, for example, what did EQS and Moore do in pre-season...nothing. But oh are they fast so lets keep em. Our new young guys can actually catch and hold on to the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

I would not rule entirely rule out Baylis making the team instead of Lewis or a FB or both. I caught him making a decent block or two in-line last week as did Malcolm Johnson from FB. They gave Baylis #49 as though he'd be an in-line/H-back option. Dunno what he's done in practice, but H-back doesn't look like something Lewis can do. If Baylis is showing up he might buy a roster spot with postional flexibility, FB to the PS.

Longshot, but something to keep an eye on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The guy just came back from injury but didn't make it into the Raiders game. It's possible that we might see him in the final game, but I'm interested to see what he has to offer. The offense could certainly use a quick TE and needs more youth at the position.

I wouldn't expect too much out of him year #1. IF Graham stays healthy, he will get the majority of the snaps and TE targets. Lewis will be used to block, Tonyan and Sternberger, if both suit up on game day, will get a lot of special teams work and some snaps on offense.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have any of you guys actually tried the Roster Builder on PackersNews.com?
Thanks for pointing me there. I ended up building a roster that had 7 WRs and 4 TEs. I only kept three RBs (Jones, Williams, & Williams) along with Vitale. I also let Kizer go. Kizer may have more "experience" but I've seen him crumble under pressure and not score in the preseason. Boyle struggled early against the Raiders, but man the guy directed three TD drives with a bunch of backups. That's who I want on my team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the guy directed three TD drives with a bunch of backups. That's who I want on my team.

Important to note that he did that against a bunch of backups on defense as well. Think we saw Callahan, Hundley, even Kizer play well in those situations over the last 5 or so years in preseason games. However, when it comes to playing in meaningful games against other teams first team Defense, the results can be much different.

D

Deleted member 6794

My guess is we will have our RBs splitting 30-40 rushing attempts per game in 2019. Easy. That will be excluding any rushes by AR.

Let's be realistic here. A total of 480 rushing attempts would have been the third most in the league last season. With 40 attempts per game the Packers would have run the ball 93 more times than the league leading Ravens actually did.

While I expect MLF to put more emphasis on a balanced attack there's no way the offense will predominantely rely on running the ball.

So do we really keep four TEs assuming Mercedes makes the 53, or do they cut Tonyan (which I think would be a mistake), or try to slip Sternberger onto the practice squad. Someone would snatch him up. We can't fit four TEs on the roster. Could Graham be the surprise veteran cut if the Packers think that Tonyan/Sternberger can be the pass-catching TEs while Lewis fills the blocking role?

The Packers won't released Graham after paying him a $5 million roster bonus in March nor Tonyan. Lewis might be the only tight end possibly in danger of missing out on a spot.

I keep hearing people say, "I don't see how they keep 4 TEs....I don't see how they keep 3 QBs....etc"

What promising jobbers off the street that you oh so love to complain about are you keeping over these guys? Please inform me. I just recently did it(before Jones was cut) and did both.

It's possible the Packers keep three quarterback and four tight ends but they will have to deal with less depth at other positions because of it.

I wouldn't expect too much out of him year #1. IF Graham stays healthy, he will get the majority of the snaps and TE targets. Lewis will be used to block, Tonyan and Sternberger, if both suit up on game day, will get a lot of special teams work and some snaps on offense.

I fully expect Tonyan to receive significant playing time on offense.

Members online

Latest posts