I've seen blueprints on how to beat the Packers...

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Now let's talk about the one for beating the Seahawks.

In my opinion if the Pack get hot, they can beat anyone. Have we been great on the road? I would say not but still, on any given Sunday as the saying goes.

As it is shaping up at the moment, if we get deep enough in the Playoffs it looks like a trip to Seattle.

Obviously Marshawn Lynch is our first concern and I'm not sure how we slow him down while keeping Wilson from carving us up. It's the classic dilemma we pose to defenses since acquiring Lacy. Pick your poison.

Discuss...

D

Deleted member 6794

The Seahawks are a really tough team to beat as they don't possess a lot of weaknesses.

On defense it all starts with stopping Lynch, first and foremost containing the runs between the tackles without having to put an extra defender inside. If the Packers are able to force Lynch outside it would make it easier to stop the read option plays on which Wilson keeps the ball as well.

If the Packers can limit the Seahawks success running the ball I'm not worried about their passing game as I think our DBs match up very well with their receiving corps as long as we don't have to put an extra guy into the box.

On offense the most important thing would be to get Lacy going. I'm not only talking about running the ball but in the passing game as well. A pass catching threat at TE would help immensely but unfortunately it seems like there's none on the roster good enough to help get the Seahawks out of their preferred defensive scheme.

Overall I think the Packers don't match up well with the Seahawks and we would have a hard time beating them at their place.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvin was the guy that hurt the Packers in the first game and he's obviously not playing in this one. I'm feeling relatively confident that the Packers can slow down the Seahawks offense. Since moving Clay inside they've been good at slowing the run from a nickel formation. Also, the Seahawks don't have a dominant receiver like Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, guys that no defense can really stop.

My concern is whether the Packers can score enough. The Seahawks defense is designed to not give up the deep ball so, while the Packers will certainly try a couple shots, I'd pretty much assume there won't be any long passes to Jordy in this one. Seahawks are also, obviously, dominant against the run. The key on offense is going to be to take what the defense gives and not force the deep passing game. I'd almost like the Packers to go run heavy because the Seahawks, while very good on the dline, aren't very deep. If they can tire out Michael Bennett it will go a long way toward winning the game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key to beating the Seahawks is to be the aggressor on both sides of the ball and dictate things to them, not the other way around.
The biggest problem defending them is Wilson. He's smart, and can beat you passing or running. It's tough to exploit his weaknesses because he's backed up by a formidable run game and defense. As to his recievers, while generally considered to be sub par as a group, they sure do seem to come up with a lot of plays when needed, don't they?

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that since the Packers bye week after moving Clay to the MLB position, Green Bay ranks 3rd in the league in rush defense. The Cardinals had the right idea last week but their LB Foote kept getting smoked by the TE he was guarding and they lost contain on Wilson.

Packers would have to play a perfect game to beat Seattle on their own field but it's not impossible.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the key to beating the Seahawks is to be the aggressor on both sides of the ball and dictate things to them, not the other way around.
The biggest problem defending them is Wilson. He's smart, and can beat you passing or running. It's tough to exploit his weaknesses because he's backed up by a formidable run game and defense. As to his recievers, while generally considered to be sub par as a group, they sure do seem to come up with a lot of plays when needed, don't they?

Well, their receivers make some plays but aside of Doug Baldwin none of them has reached 40 receptions. If the Packers somehow manage to contain the Seahawks running game I don't think their receivers will be able to beat us.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, their receivers make some plays but aside of Doug Baldwin none of them has reached 40 receptions. If the Packers somehow manage to contain the Seahawks running game I don't think their receivers will be able to beat us.

I'll bet the Cards among others would have an argument there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll bet the Cards among others would have an argument there.

The Seahawks ran for 268 yards vs. the Cardinals, opening up the passing game. That's why I said the most important thing is to contain their running game, if the Packers are able to somehow do that without having to put an exgra guy into the box the Seahawks receivers won't win the game for them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeebus, dude, do you need to argue everything? Simple statement of fact; their guys made big plays- in particular their TE who had what, 3 catches all season- and they've been doing it all season.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think Rodgers needs to challenge Sherman. I know that he is a great corner but throwing some quick hitters to Sherman's side would allow us to play both sides of the field - something we didn't do in the first game. The noise from the 12th man got into our heads last time as well. If we can maintain our confidence/swagger and stay focused throughout the game I really believe we would have a good shot to beat them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jeebus, dude, do you need to argue everything? Simple statement of fact; their guys made big plays- in particular their TE who had what, 3 catches all season- and they've been doing it all season.

The Seahawks need the run to set up their passing game. During the four games they had the lowest amount of rushing yards Wilson threw for an average of 184.5 yards with only three TDs (none to a WR).

You can complain about me wanting to argue about some stuff but if the Packers are able to contain their rushing offense they'll have a great chance to win the game.

OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Here are some stats from the Week 1 meeting in Seattle that I don't hear any talk about and I think we can glean some insights into our supposed blueprint for beating these blowhards:

1st downs: Pack: 17 Hawks: 21

Passing 1st downs: Pack: 13 Hawks: 8

Rushing 1st downs: Pack: 4 Hawks: 13

Pack committed 4 penalties that resulted in 4 Seahorse 1st downs.

Rushing: Pack: 80 yds. Hawks: 207 (yes, pre-bye defensive configuration)

Rushing Attempts: Pack: 21 Hawks: 37

Lacy had 12 carries for 34 yards and 3 receptions for 11 yards.

Green Bay is a different team now then it was in Week 1.

We don't have a great TE threat. BUT we have a RB with some pretty soft hands and a spin move that James Brown would be proud of.

I say we use Lacy early and often with quick, short, high % passes and bring this Hawk defense to the LOS. Use Lacy differently then we did in Week 1. Bring their Defense up to the LOS.

And then you know what time it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I also think Rodgers needs to challenge Sherman.

AGREE. I thought to myself "why is the greatest QB in the NFL afraid of Sherman?"

Rodgers can put the ball where it needs to be. I really didn't understand that strategy at all.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks need the run to set up their passing game. During the four games they had the lowest amount of rushing yards Wilson threw for an average of 184.5 yards with only three TDs (none to a WR).

You can complain about me wanting to argue about some stuff but if the Packers are able to contain their rushing offense they'll have a great chance to win the game.

That's obvious, Captain. Doesn't change the fact that their 'sub par' receivers make plays, and usually big ones.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mklangelo; they could probably make the same 'we're a different' team ' statement. Remember they started 3-3 and were struggling badly.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Mklangelo; they could probably make the same 'we're a different' team ' statement. Remember they started 3-3 and were struggling badly.

Yeah there different alright. Different in the sense that they got to go on a run of games against NFC West teams and couple others that can't throw the ball and play there "grind it out small ball" while loading the box with 8 guys.
Now everyone can jump on there fraud and hype show and make em "Ripe for the Picking"

Yep, wayyyyyyyy different.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaptainWIMM; didn't mean to take a slap at you before. I'm working on one helluva toothache and should probably just go to bed. Nothing personal, my friend.
Here's one for you though, if I may expand further on your earlier statement that the 'Hawks offense is set up by their run game. I agree- odd for a 'passing league'- but Wilson is the monkey wrench in any plan of stopping them on the ground. He always is looking to take off. I wonder if any team has as many designed run plays for their QB as Seattle does. Containing Wilson to me is more important than Lynch.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Seahawks are simple. Slow down the "read option". Hold em to FG's and score.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Lions are more talented then the Seahawks and have a better defense IMO. They have more weapons on offense. The only thing that makes Seattle scary is going there if you let it and if you can't stop the "read-option".

Sorry but Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse don't scare me. Either does Luke Wilson for that matter.

OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Containing Wilson to me is more important than Lynch.

Wilson is a game manager. Perhaps the one of the best ever. Play a solid game and that's what he will do.

Take power out of the box, and he will run on you.

If you consider Lynch a problem that you can put on the back burner, you will suffer.

We really have not matched up well against them.

Last edited:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds easier said then done but I think the blueprint to beat the SeaHawks is, Stop the run and Keep russel wilson in the pocket.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are more talented then the Seahawks and have a better defense IMO. They have more weapons on offense. The only thing that makes Seattle scary is going there if you let it and if you can't stop the "read-option".

Sorry but Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse don't scare me. Either does Luke Wilson for that matter.
lions better front 4 on defense and better receivers. SeaHawk have better qb better O-line better secondary by far. I think both teams linebackers are about even both good linebacking core. but like you said if you can't stop that read option it will be a loooong day against the seahawks.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers can control and move the ball throwing underneath Seattle's safeties. Get that working for a couple of drives, get those safeties coming up, and downfield strikes should open up.

The receivers need to put on their big boy pants and be prepared to take some licks from those safeties. Otherwise, it's same old same old.

Taking a dive in front Chancellor when he gets within striking distance, as Demarius Thomas did throughout the Superbowl, doesn't get it done. At that point, they own you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Latest posts