I've had enough of Christl...

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was only 4 for 15 in the team period, but hit Ruvell Martin for 30 yards and tight end Donald Lee for 20 yards. Counting the two-minute drill, Rodgers was 11 for 23 for 92 yards.

"Aaron Rodgers was ONLY 4 for 15..." I'm sorry, but that is terribly misleading. It makes it sound like Rodgers was that bad.

Nope. Rodgers was damn fine, throwing crisp passes that were dropped by 2nd stringers. Christll has just proven to me that he only loves Favre, and I'm done reading his chats/comlums/camp updates.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That's the problem with some journalists out there. They mislead to get their opinion believed as law. It's sad. Atleast he gives us something to talk about though. Gotta find the positive.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
That's just it though, I mean give the man his due. He has never said anything nice about Rodgers. He ups Cooper the FB, but Rodgers is made to have an apparently bad night.

As far as I am concerned, better off not reading his trash anymore. Can't trust a word he says personally.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
As far as I am concerned, better off not reading his trash anymore. Can't trust a word he says personally.
Unfortunately that can be said about many writers :(

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played great, which shocked me. I usually hate him and I fear for the day favre leaves, but he was very accurate and calm (for the MOST part). A lot of players dropped his passes(cough, martin, cough)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Rodgers played great, which shocked me. I usually hate him and I fear for the day favre leaves, but he was very accurate and calm (for the MOST part). A lot of players dropped his passes(cough, martin, cough)

Dropped catchable passes should be docked on the WR not the QB. My opinion thats all.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats why i didnt even consider lookin at his 'numbers' i just noticed for the most part he was very accurate, calm, and had good footwork(his scramble attempt to score in the red zone was...cute)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Christl is a damn fine football writer. He calls it like it is and does not suck up to anyone including Brett Favre, rather he writes it as he sees it.

I fail to see the problem in what he wrote:

Aaron Rodgers was only 4 for 15 in the team period, but hit Ruvell Martin for 30 yards and tight end Donald Lee for 20 yards. Counting the two-minute drill, Rodgers was 11 for 23 for 92 yards.

That is actually how Aaron Rodgers performed -- should Chistl lie about his numbers? He also pointed out that Rodgers was victimized by some dropped passes.

Like all of us Christl is just human, so it is understandable that we will disagree on what we see. But here all he did was share the numbers (both good and bad) on a player -- which is his job as a reporter. I fail to see the beef with that!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW numbers are always just a small part of the picture. He was writing a quick report on the scrimmage as a whole. If you read the article in its entirety, I think you will get some good information.

sorry about the double post.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
If Trom says A-Rod played well, I'm believing that over Cliffy.

Believe what you want. In fact it is possible to believe both. Trom pointed out that he thought A-Rod showed improvement and looked good overall. All Christl did was share his actual numbers without evaluation (good or bad). I don't understand why anyone would have problems with actual numbers. Christl pointed out his two long completions - Martin 30 yds and Lee for 20, he also notes Martins drop.

He was not writing a report on or evaluation of Rodgers, rather an overall report of the night.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff Cristl is "A Football Writer"

To call him "A Damn Good Football Writer" is like ordering Corn Flakes at the Hyatt and then saying "The Hyatt has a damn good chef."

If all Cristl did was share actual numbers without evaluation, perhaps he should be doing copy in the stats section of the paper.

To call Christl a "Damn good football writer." is an insult to damn good football writers everywhere.

R.P.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well its always the Quarterbacks fault right?

no. This time Rodgers played great and the wide recievers dropped it.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

To call him "A Damn Good Football Writer" is like ordering Corn Flakes at the Hyatt and then saying "The Hyatt has a damn good chef."

If all Cristl did was share actual numbers without evaluation, perhaps he should be doing copy in the stats section of the paper.

To call Christl a "Damn good football writer." is an insult to damn good football writers everywhere.

R.P.

LOL :D R.P. I think you miss the point.

Cliff Christl has been covering and writing about the Packers for more than 40 years. He certainly provided more than just stats in his overall piece, but since Rodgers is a backup QB he simply reported how he faired in the different sections of this controlled scrimmage. BTW there were no official stats from this scrimmage.This thread accuses him of misrepresenting Rodgers performance -- which I fail to see -- and which prompted my response. He specifically pointed out his two big plays -- right in the section that the original poster complains about.

I do agree that I should have qualified my statement about Cliff to read: "in relative terms Christl is a damned good football writer" -- since the JS and Gazette have embarrassingly bad football writers and coverage. He is about as good as we get from the mainstream rags.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
well its always the Quarterbacks fault right?

no. This time Rodgers played great and the wide recievers dropped it.

That is silly -- of course not -- no one said it is or was.

QBs also get bailed out by great catches by receivers when QBs underthrow the ball or throw into double coverage. Football is a team sport QB get too much credit and sometimes too much blame, it goes with the position.

It is hard to get too excited about a controlled scrimmage where QBs are off-limits. It is encouraging that Rodgers performed better than last season when he folded as soon as the live bullets appeared. He is a young QB with some talent, but is still a big question mark. As we know many young QB with some talent never make it in the NFL, including those that are called "can't miss" top 10 draft picks.

I think I will wait to see how he performs in live action before putting much stake in evaluation -- mine or anyone else's.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying when somthing is good its "wow what a great game that quarterback played"

if they lose "well the quarterback didn't play too well"

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical Christl column -

Offensive line = Sucks.

Quarterbacks. They suck. Brett looks *ok*, though.

Team on the whole? They suck.

Coaches....coaches smoaches.

Just the way the man expresses himself (or sees life, himself, the Pack). Dale Hofmann, where have you gone.

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont listen to the experts. Im just as good as an expert.

Pack will win the superbowl.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we all always hope the Pack will reach th Super Bowl and every team has a chance, and thats the hard part about reaching it, every team has a chance. (some chances bigger than others)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played great. They're were 4 passes that were dropped. The entire stadium saw it. Rodgers looked good last night. He made some nice reads and outside of the INT (with like 5 seconds left and was a last despression) I thought he played solid.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

Sorry to disagree. My buddy was in the Packer locker room the day Mel Jackson, former Green Bay guard, nearly beat the crap out Christl after Christl was the only reporter to ask Jackson why he was repeatedly beaten that day. The man has balls.
Good reporters/columnists say things the timid won't. Cliff also now is a columnist/blogger, which defines his role differently. Christl's blog gives snap reaction. After review on Sunday, it was clear at least three of Rodgers' passes were dropped.

"Good" writers offer insights the average fan doesn't see. Some are more creative than others, I admit Cliff isn't the most "creative". But all I want is good info. Cliff has a track record of annoying all of the Packers coaches. Bart Starr threw him off the team plane after writing the truth about the Packers sorry teams then. It changed the policy the team had at the time of allowing media on the planes. Now the media send them on their money.
Cliff has seen many, many players, coaches and wanna-be's come and go in Green Bay, and among the press corps who regularly follows the Packers, he is the one who can give a perspective back to the 70's.

You can get into trouble defending media on boards like this. The "fan" wants a cheerleader. I often think there isn't ENOUGH negative coming from the beat writers. I want to know the truth, not some sugar-coated candy wrapped version designed for good digestion. Notice what happened when Jason Wilde had the audacity(truthfully) report Al Harris was upset about his money. Even the coach *****ed at him.
The positives are nearly always self-evident. But the truth of the situation is often hid by team P.R.

Cliff's pretty good and will defend him because he's been there and done that, something others have not.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

"Aaron Rodgers was ONLY 4 for 15..." I'm sorry, but that is terribly misleading. It makes it sound like Rodgers was that bad.

Nope. Rodgers was damn fine, throwing crisp passes that were dropped by 2nd stringers. Christll has just proven to me that he only loves Favre, and I'm done reading his chats/comlums/camp updates.

Since when has it been a crime to love having Brett Favre as the QB of the GB Packers?

Interesting. What should he do, hate him?

Do some Packer fans here actually hate Brett Favre?

I don't see that in Christl's column at all. What's going on here?

Are there camps of people who love/hate Brett Favre in Packerland?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no tomallen, you just whiffed on getting the point like roman whiffs on tackles. Christl, an objective reporter(supposedly) obviously just likes favre, and doesnt care much about the rest of the team. "Only 4 for 15" he puts in his article? Are you kidding me? Even I understood A-rod played better than his numbers, and im clinically retarded.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know exactly what he's saying, and it's not anywhere near what you're saying what he's saying!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im saying hes saying hes objective but with what hes saying its clear thats not what hes saying said saying say.

Members online

Latest posts