I've come to realize

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson, McCarthy and Capers will all leave together. Thompson's reluctancy to sign impact free agents, McCarthy playcalling and faithfulness to Capers, will lead to all three of them being without a job in a few years. All three of them will be let go together. I am convinced of this.

TT makes no sense to me. The NFC continues to get better and he still wants to stick to his philosophy!!

D

Deleted member 6794

TT makes no sense to me. The NFC continues to get better and he still wants to stick to his philosophy!!

I wouldn´t read too much into what he´s saying during the Senior Bowl. I would recommend waiting until after the draft to see what he´s done this offseason.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the draft, after free agency and after the 2014 season we will have a better idea of the shape of the Packers. If they endure another season like the last, I wouldn't be surprised if TT retires.
Usually, but not always, a GM change results in a coaching change shortly after.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year this is said about the Lions, Bears and Vikings. All those teams keep improving and we don't. And yet we keep winning.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Packers are the most successful NFL team over the last few years. We won't win the SB every season, no team can, but we are very strong thanks to Ted Thompson. TT has earned a lifetime extension if anything.

I think it will take TT actually retiring before some of the posters here begin to understand the NFL and how frickin lucky we were to have TT.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Packers are the most successful NFL team over the last few years.

Since TT took over the Packers have the 5th highest winning percentage in the regular season and are one of six teams (it will be seven in 1 1/2 weeks) that have won a Super Bowl, with the Giants and the Steelers winning it twice.

So calling the Packers the most succesful is a stretch.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since TT took over the Packers have the 5th highest winning percentage in the regular season and are one of six teams (it will be seven in 1 1/2 weeks) that have won a Super Bowl, with the Giants and the Steelers winning it twice.

So calling the Packers the most succesful is a stretch.
So you are saying they are only top 5. My bad. Okay have it your way: "The Packers are one of the 5 most successful teams in the NFL"

I was throwing out the first few years as he had to build the team up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well...... over the past 5 seasons we have been damn good, better than MANY others....this season being the exeption with our record of 8-7-1

2009: 11-5
2010: 10-6
2011: 15-1
2012: 11-5
2013: 8-7-1

55 - 24 - 1

Not many other teams can say they did that well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year this is said about the Lions, Bears and Vikings. All those teams keep improving and we don't. And yet we keep winning.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Packers are the most successful NFL team over the last few years. We won't win the SB every season, no team can, but we are very strong thanks to Ted Thompson. TT has earned a lifetime extension if anything.

I think it will take TT actually retiring before some of the posters here begin to understand the NFL and how frickin lucky we were to have TT.

And yet this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately sport, as almost all sports are. The weaknesses in this team first be came apparent in the 2010 season when we were lucky to escape the Giants with a win, and the week after we lost to the Chiefs. Ever since then questions about the defense have dogged this team, and not only that, until this year the offense was recognized as being 1-dimensional. Eddie Lacy has helped to solve that.

In hindsight it's not a stretch to say that this team was not a SB team for the last 3 years, and if they are ever going to become a SB contender again, significant improvements need to be made. I don't buy the idea that if the Packers had just stayed healthy they would be have a serious SB contender this year. SF and Seattle are IMO clearly better and will be next year too unless something changes around here.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you are saying they are only top 5. My bad. Okay have it your way: "The Packers are one of the 5 most successful teams in the NFL"

I was throwing out the first few years as he had to build the team up.

In the process only using stats that prove your point while ignoring others.

D

Deleted member 6794

well...... over the past 5 seasons we have been damn good, better than MANY others....this season being the exeption with our record of 8-7-1

2009: 11-5
2010: 10-6
2011: 15-1
2012: 11-5
2013: 8-7-1

55 - 24 - 1

Not many other teams can say they did that well.

Pretty good, no doubt about that (the Patriots still had a better record). The things though is that this record is the result of having the best QB in the NFL, not because of having the best GM in the business.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty good, no doubt about that (the Patriots still had a better record). The things though is that this record is the result of having the best QB in the NFL, not because of having the best GM in the business.
It all starts at the top. TT is responsible for drafting AR. He is responsible for hiring MM who in turn was responsible for developing AR.

D

Deleted member 6794

It all starts at the top. TT is responsible for drafting AR. He is responsible for hiring MM who in turn was responsible for developing AR.

And he deserves credit for that, no doubt about it.

But if you don´t agree that the defense need major improvements at safety and ILB (maybe DL as well) to become a true Super Bowl contender you´re fooling yourself. And it is time for TT to finally address some of our biggest needs via free agency.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come to realize, that some people will always love to rag on the GM of the Packers. That no matter what level of success matters to some people. They will look for even the smallest of imperfections and complain unceasingly. Almost taking great delight when the Packers don't win the SB so they can gloat of their keen football intelligence having out-smarted even the Packer GM. They know their ideas and fantasy moves can never be proven wrong and typically are forgotten and buried deep within the ancient threads. They know that for any given team in the NFL, each season, it is very unlikely they will win a SB. Therefore, they can confidently claim, 'well if TT doesn't do this then we won't win the SB.' knowing full well that wasn't likely if the move was made or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right you are !!! But having the best QB is the result of the GM......if not, we could have been looking at a much different QB situation.

True, but if TT will rely exclusively on the draft over the next few years I´m almost certain we won´t win another Super Bowl during Aaron´s tenure as the Packers OB. And taking into consideration that he´s the best QB in the business would be a huge disappointment.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he deserves credit for that, no doubt about it.

But if you don´t agree that the defense need major improvements at safety and ILB (maybe DL as well) to become a true Super Bowl contender you´re fooling yourself. And it is time for TT to finally address some of our biggest needs via free agency.
There isn't a pro-TT person anywhere that is happy or content with our Safeties or our ILB situation. Its just that the pro-TT understands the limitations and has realistic expectations for what a NFL GM can do.

And no, free agency is not necessarily the answer.

D

Deleted member 6794

There isn't a pro-TT person anywhere that is happy or content with our Safeties or our ILB situation. Its just that the pro-TT understands the limitations and has realistic expectations for what a NFL GM can do.

You don´t realize that free agency isn´t a bad thing as long as you use it wisely. Signing some guys that help to reasonable contracts is another way to improve a team. Even the 2010 Super Bowl winning team had two free agents on it that were huge contributors to the championship.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amen... and unlike the haters... pro-TT people understand you don't do something for the sake of doing it. That would make us the Bears or Vikings. Maybe there will be some nice/reasonable FA additions to be had this off season...and maybe not. If a Picket like or Woodson like signing is viable... like he did with Picket or like he did with Woodson, he'll snag them.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s complete BS!!!

ooooohhhh...I don't think it is BS with some haters. Not you, but some.

When a "fan" rants on endlessly with the TT hating and in 1,000 posts has almost zero positive things to say about the team, it sure appears to me that he's more interested in pointing out negatives and is taking enjoyment with any Packer failure that can be hung on TT.

D

Deleted member 6794

Amen... and unlike the haters... pro-TT people understand you don't do something for the sake of doing it. That would make us the Bears or Vikings. Maybe there will be some nice/reasonable FA additions to be had this off season...and maybe not. If a Picket like or Woodson like signing is viable... like he did with Picket or like he did with Woodson, he'll snag them.

He hasn´t done it for SEVEN years!!! I´m afraid he won´t change his philosophy this offseason.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don´t realize that free agency isn´t a bad thing as long as you use it wisely. Signing some guys that help to reasonable contracts is another way to improve a team. Even the 2010 Super Bowl winning team had two free agents on it that were huge contributors to the championship.

I understand and am not opposed to signing FAs. Most FA signings are bad for a team. Why do teams do it? Because it sells season tickets and generates excitement/jersey sales. Why don't the Packers do it? Because they don't have to worry about a greedy owner. Therefore, the price of FA signing is driven by the bottom line of teams and not the desire to win football games. Therefore, most FAs sign for more money than they are really worth and with a salary cap - that is very detrimental to your team.

The response from a few posters here is always the same knee jerk reactions that we need to go out and sign this or that. There was a strong demand for CBs a few seasons back. My GOD! Why won't TT sign a few FAs so we can compete! All is lost because Minny signed xxxxx and the Bears signed yyyy. Well, Tramon emerged and we hit the jackpot with Shields. We won the SB that year. Do we have weaknesses? Yep. Does every team? Yep. Hopefully, we have a few players emerge and the team comes back stronger next season. Can we find a veteran FA at a reasonable price to come in and help? Maybe, but doubtful. I am certain, however, that TT will research in minute detail, every FA option available and will make the most prudent decision.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He hasn´t done it for SEVEN years!!! I´m afraid he won´t change his philosophy this offseason.

True, but guys like woodson, reggie white, pickett.... are far and few between....not to mention fit into our budget or are easily lured away by other teams that have either a fatter pocket or a city with more to offer.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but guys like woodson, reggie white, pickett.... are far and few between....not to mention fit into our budget or are easily lured away by other teams that have either a fatter pocket or a city with more to offer.

I agree the city may affect the decision of a lot of players to not come to Green Bay. Other teams don´t have more money available to sign free agents though because of the cap.

As I´ve said repeatedly I don´t want TT to overpay for free agents, but I´m quite sure there are guys out there that can be signed to reasonable contracts and could help the defense (Kerry Rhodes comes to my mind, I´m sure he would have helped the team last year in a big way).

Members online

Latest posts