It's Up to TT now....and MM

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's at the point, I believe, that if TT and MM really want Favre back next year, they will have to pro-actively go to Favre and make a concerted effort, and really make it evident to him that it will be worth his while to play for at least one more year...

That means approaching Brett and saying that we are going to do X, Y, and Z next year to improve this Packer team and compete for the playoffs and beyond, and we really need to have #4 under center in GB leadiing this team to victory!

Now I know that some people will say that this is beneath TT as a GM of the Packers, and that Favre is just like any other player, and if he wants to play he should play, regardless of the decisions or intent made by the Packer's GM...

Nothing could be further from the truth, imo....

I could see Ron Wolf doing this if he was still here...and other GM's on other teams have done it for other players of Favre's quality...Favre is no ordinary player...

The question really is then...what direction does the GB Packer football franchise REALLY want to go in next year, and do they want Brett Favre to be part of that direction...???

I guess it's a wait and see kind of thing...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
It's at the point, I believe, that if TT and MM really want Favre back next year, they will have to pro-actively go to Favre and make a concerted effort, and really make it evident to him that it will be worth his while to play for at least one more year...

That means approaching Brett and saying that we are going to do X, Y, and Z next year to improve this Packer team and compete for the playoffs and beyond, and we really need to have #4 under center in GB leadiing this team to victory!

Now I know that some people will say that this is beneath TT as a GM of the Packers, and that Favre is just like any other player, and if he wants to play he should play, regardless of the decisions or intent made by the Packer's GM...

Nothing could be further from the truth, imo....

I could see Ron Wolf doing this if he was still here...and other GM's on other teams have done it for other players of Favre's quality...Favre is no ordinary player...

The question really is then...what direction does the GB Packer football franchise REALLY want to go in next year, and do they want Brett Favre to be part of that direction...???

I guess it's a wait and see kind of thing...

...ok, I remember how this plays out. If TT and MM say that they want Favre back over and over and over, many people still seem to think that TT and MM want to start anew without #4 in their plans, right? I understand what you're saying, but if you look back in all the quotes throughout last year with TT and this year with TT and MM, they've said nothing but #4 has gas left in the tank and that he would be welcomed back with this team.

Are you making the point that TT needs to sit down with Favre and say this is how we'll attack free agency and the draft to get it done next year?

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
NDPackerfan said..
Are you making the point that TT needs to sit down with Favre and say this is how we'll attack free agency and the draft to get it done next year...

Yes..exactly..

I thought that was clear by my post. But apparently not...

Would there be a problem with TT and MM sitting down with Favre and saying that this is how we're going to attack FA and the draft next year, and since you still have gas left in the tank, we want you to lead this Packer team again next year..?

(I don't think it was quite done like that last year...There seemed to be a lack of communication on both sides!)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre should understand that TT is going to do the best he can to get the Packers even more competitive in 07. Nothing is guaranteed in the off-season so I'm not sure what a sit-down meeting would accomplish. Favre knows already if he's playing next year or if he isn't in my opinion.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
NDPackerfan said..
Are you making the point that TT needs to sit down with Favre and say this is how we'll attack free agency and the draft to get it done next year...

Yes..exactly..

I thought that was clear by my post. But apparently not...

Would there be a problem with TT and MM sitting down with Favre and saying that this is how we're going to attack FA and the draft next year, and since you still have gas left in the tank, we want you to lead this Packer team again next year..?

(I don't think it was quite done like that last year...There seemed to be a lack of communication on both sides!)

That would be best. Sit with Brett, let him know whats going on and they want him back for one or two years. Whichever it is.

I'm not sure where the statement of lack of communication is from considering there were several conversations between Brett and Mike and Ted. Which were pretty well documented at the time each took place an some not so well documented. Suppose that doesn't mean communication was at its utmost potential though. Talking isn't communicating.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with that..

I don't think Favre necessarily knows what's on TT's mind...(He didn't last year because he kept saying.."I don't know if I'm in the GB Packer's future plans..." almost right up til the time he came back.)

For all we know, he may be thinking that TT is planning on relying heavily on the draft again, and not interested in pursuing FA talent for the offense...

Don't you think he has a right to know what direction the team wants to go in before he makes such a big decision as retiring from his illustrious career for the GB Packers..??

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I don't think Favre necessarily knows what's on TT's mind...(He didn't last year because he kept saying.."I don't know if I'm in the GB Packer's future plans..." almost right up til the time he came back.)

For all we know, he may be thinking that TT is planning on relying heavily on the draft again, and not interested in pursuing FA talent for the offense...

Don't you think he has a right to know what direction the team wants to go in before he makes such a big decision as retiring from his illustrious career for the GB Packers..??

He definetely deserves to know. I feel we already know when Mike said he wanted Brett back next year. I would assume Ted is on the same boat with Mike. If not, we have bigger problems than Brett retiring.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be obvious to Brett, Ted, and Mike that the Packers are on the verge of something potentially really big. I am assuming that Ted and Mike aren't brain dead and realize that the future success of this team depends upon Brett returning. That's not to say that Aaron Rogers isn't going to be a fine quarterback, but for this team to be successful next year they will need Brett back to run the offense. Maybe this is the time for Ted to go to Brett and say, "come on back Brett, we think we have chance to get you back to the Superbowl in the next two years."

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It should be obvious to Brett, Ted, and Mike that the Packers are on the verge of something potentially really big. I am assuming that Ted and Mike aren't brain dead and realize that the future success of this team depends upon Brett returning. That's not to say that Aaron Rogers isn't going to be a fine quarterback, but for this team to be successful next year they will need Brett back to run the offense. Maybe this is the time for Ted to go to Brett and say, "come on back Brett, we think we have chance to get you back to the Superbowl in the next two years."

Great post... :thumbsup:

Aaron Rodgers will have his time. I never understood why some wanted to rush it...the kid is young, he will have his time. Just not now...

The only thing Packedhouse is...will Ted Thompson do just that?

(Sort of nerve racking, when you think about it... :pray: )

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

He definetely deserves to know. I feel we already know when Mike said he wanted Brett back next year. I would assume Ted is on the same boat with Mike. If not, we have bigger problems than Brett retiring.

I have to agree with both of you except for the fact that MM and TT are on the same page ( this I don't know ) but unlike last year Brett has made it clear he will give his answer real quick ( next couple of weeks ). We heard MM state he wants him back but now Brett needs a specific plan from TT and fast ( although I really think it's too late for that now ) !!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Thompson and McCarthy have to go up to Favre and guarantee him that we will sign him weapons such as Tony G and trade for guys like Moss. If they do that then their (Thompson and McCarthy) full of it. You can't guarantee free agents. You just don’t know what will happen. I do think Thompson and McCarthy and Favre need to get on the same page. I think Thompson and McCarthy need to tell Favre whether or not they will attempt to sign a TE, WR, RB..etc..

I did hear on the radio and heard on TV that Favre has already sat down and talked with McCarthy and Thompson. So make no mistake. They’ve been communicating especially as the year drew closer to the end.

To echo another post. It’s not going to matter what they do. If Favre retires people will blame both of them when in reality no one is to blame. That’s just how it goes.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They can guarantee their "intent" Porky....

Whether or not they intend to "try" and get weapons for Favre...or if not..their decision to go in another direction...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Whether or not they intend to "try" and get weapons for Favre...or if not..their decision to go in another direction...

What direction do you think they are leaning towards?

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

If the Packers want Brett Favre to stay the right direction would to give Favre some offensive weapons to work with. Is Ted Thompson willing to go that route?

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I have no idea...

TT is pretty tight-lipped..wouldn't you say..?

Hey...a new name...."Tight-lipped Ted"....

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
P@ck66 said:

I have no idea...

TT is pretty tight-lipped..wouldn't you say..?

Hey...a new name...."Tight-lipped Ted"....

Did you know Ted Thompson wasted between 3-5 mil in 2006 cap space? The deadline for any deals was December 30th. Any deals now are charged to the 2007 cap.

Shrewd operator that TT.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:

If the Packers want Brett Favre to stay the right direction would to give Favre some offensive weapons to work with. Is Ted Thompson willing to go that route?

Problem is offensive players are more willing to come here if Favre returns. So I think if Thompson and McCarthy tell Favre they plan on attempting to sign some players it'll increase his chances of returning. Favre returning would probably lure someone like Tony G here.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What's the link for a website that accurately states what each team has for cap space and what was 'lost' by not using it.

I can't seem to find one that's remotely accurate.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you know Ted Thompson wasted between 3-5 mil in 2006 cap space? The deadline for any deals was December 30th. Any deals now are charged to the 2007 cap.

Shrewd operator that TT.

Oh boy! I'm sure that's really going to hurt the $28-30 million in cap space GB has this offseason! Now TT won't be able to sign any FAs... :kickcan:

TT never intended to spend all of the cap space available. In fact he structured most of the contracts in the last offseason to count most of the money against the 2006 salary cap. He could have easily gone a different route and signed several more big contracts. So not using the last few million under the cap is no surprise.

Also it will have little to no affect on what TT plans to do in the offseason. There is no reason to believe that TT will approach this offseason any different than last one. I fully expect him to sign GB's better FAs in Jenkins, Williams and Green, along with some of the other inexpensive guys. He will make a couple of mid-tier FA signings and then bring in as many draft picks as possible. All moves to upgrade or add depth and none that would require more than the current $28+ million in cap space.

GO PACK GO!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No matter what they tell Brett, it will fall on his shoulders..I dont care if they say we got Moss, Tony G, and T.O...If Brett decides he rather be home with his family from now on, not one FA signing will chgange that..

As far as Ted's plans?

Since it seemed in 2006 FA he tightened up the defense, I have a feeling he will try to add key additions on the offense in 2007

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly right bobby and long time. its extremely unfair to put this on Ted and Mikes shoulders.... Brett is the man, we all want him back.

but it will be his decision. Last year everyone wanted to say that TT and mike werent doing enough to keep. well he came back so apparently what they did last year was enough.

It has nothing to do with TT and MM at this point. (and zero dont make a lame boob and rapper joke) Brett knows the direction, knows the options just like most of us. He knows Tony Gonzalez will be out there. he knows we might get him, he knows we also might not. its FA you never know what will happen .

it all comes down to if brett wants to be here next year. or if he wants to retire. TT and MM can do no further now. so dont try and put your unwillingness to let brett favre go on their shoulders.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Packnic, just what responsibilities does TT have as GM of the GB Packers...?

Does he have any? Can he can just do what he wants and not have to account to, or tell anyone what his plans are, and the fans, players, and shareholders just have to accept it and make decisions on their future in with the Packers regardless of what the organization plans to do?

That doesn't make much sense to me... Are the GM and HC really that powerless over the situation as you seem to make them out?

I think I recall Ron Wolf and Holmgren bending over backwards and making promises to Reggie White before he decided to come here. Why doesn't Favre deserve the same respect?

It's funny how you bend over backwards to defend TT and MM, but are willing to put all of the responsibility on Favre's doorstep....

Seems a might unbalanced to me... :chalflag:

Why should Favre come back if TT isn't going to do anything more to improve this team...or if he is, why would he be unwilling or not responsible for having to tell Brett Favre about it? Why do you consider this unfair to TT and MM..?

I don't understand this reasoning... :shrug:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the job description of any GM is to make fiscally responsible decisions narrowing to one goal. That being a championship. Wether or not YOU PERSONALLY believe TT is doing this is neither here nor there. Its wether or not Brett Favre believes TT is doing this. TT and MM have said numerous numerous times ... WE WANT BRETT FAVRE BACK. how much simplier can you put it i mean really.

The management wants brett favre back. The managements intent to better this franchise is a forgone conclusion. Therefore it leaves one and only one thing. Brett Favres decsion.

Your just trying to set up a scape goat for the inevitable. and im not saying you cant. if thats what gets you through the day. Brett will retire one day and ill be as sad as any. im just saying its unfair to the management and its not true, if you plan on blaming them when he does inevitably hang it up.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

Shrewd operator that TT.

Oh boy! I'm sure that's really going to hurt the $28-30 million in cap space GB has this offseason! Now TT won't be able to sign any FAs... :kickcan:

TT never intended to spend all of the cap space available. In fact he structured most of the contracts in the last offseason to count most of the money against the 2006 salary cap. He could have easily gone a different route and signed several more big contracts. So not using the last few million under the cap is no surprise.

Also it will have little to no affect on what TT plans to do in the offseason. There is no reason to believe that TT will approach this offseason any different than last one. I fully expect him to sign GB's better FAs in Jenkins, Williams and Green, along with some of the other inexpensive guys. He will make a couple of mid-tier FA signings and then bring in as many draft picks as possible. All moves to upgrade or add depth and none that would require more than the current $28+ million in cap space.

GO PACK GO!!!

Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett were not mid tier free agents. Those were big signings. I agree for the most part though. He's not going to spend all the money in one year. He never has and never will. That's how he does his thing. I think he'll go after 2 big names this year. I hope Tony G and Justin Smith and then he'll fill holes via the Draft and mid tier free agents. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. In fact I like that because we'll have money over the course of many seasons.

Members online

Latest posts