It's time to pay Harris

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Why cant anyone answer this question?

you sign a contract then whine and complain about 2 years later it isnt good enuff KNOWING that said contract is probably going to be on the low end in a few years..

then when a gm refuses to redo the contract he is looked like a screw up or a tight ***, but yet the player is all most glorified?

Though I don't like the argument it is completely and logically correct.

NFL Contracts aren't guaranteed. If Ted Thompson doesn't have to honor the contract then why should Al Harris?

Frankly it works both ways. I have no problems with someone wanting more money especially when they’ve proven year after year they deserve a raise. I think they need to take a good approach. Harris in my opinion has taken a good approach where as someone like Javon Walker wanted the spotlight.

I know they can cut him w/o paying anything...but as everyone knows players that complain about not getting enuff are not the ones that are going to be cut because of performance..

i am VERY okay with him getting a raise..I just dont like the fact that these contracts are not really taking seriously..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
longtimefan said:

you sign a contract then whine and complain about 2 years later it isnt good enuff KNOWING that said contract is probably going to be on the low end in a few years..

then when a gm refuses to redo the contract he is looked like a screw up or a tight ***, but yet the player is all most glorified?

Though I don't like the argument it is completely and logically correct.

NFL Contracts aren't guaranteed. If Ted Thompson doesn't have to honor the contract then why should Al Harris?

Frankly it works both ways. I have no problems with someone wanting more money especially when they’ve proven year after year they deserve a raise. I think they need to take a good approach. Harris in my opinion has taken a good approach where as someone like Javon Walker wanted the spotlight.

I know they can cut him w/o paying anything...but as everyone knows players that complain about not getting enuff are not the ones that are going to be cut because of performance..

i am VERY okay with him getting a raise..I just dont like the fact that these contracts are not really taking seriously..

There not by both sides though. Ted Thompson doesn't have to take it seriously because he can throw it away anytime he wants (so to speak)

I think that's why Players continue to hold out. Plus a lot of agents like to encourage hold outs and I think some players just use it as an excuse to skip some of training camp because their lazy and they don't want to go through it.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whether it was just an excuse or a genuinely perceived grievance, Harris started grumbling about his contract after Woodson received the deal he did.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So what do you think Porky,

Do you think football contracts should be like Baseball contracts, guaranteed?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My :twocents:

I think there should just be one year contracts. If you play well, you get a raise. But I know thats not going to ever happen.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's something that can only be addressed at the league level. If an individual GM decides to stick to principles, chances are both he and the team are going to lose.

If TO's disruptive influence can get him off a losing team like the 49ers and onto a potential contender like the Cowboys via the Eagles then unfortunately in the eyes of a number of players with grievances similar to his, TO's antics have worked and he has won.

If Walker can ***** about Favre and swear never to set foot in GB and end up playing for a potential SB contender for a lot more money while the team that drafted him and with whom he had a contract to honour languishes at 6-8, then in the eyes of a number of players Walker's antics have paid off.

Perhaps its nothing more than giving in to blackmail, but the question TT has to face is fairly simple, is another team going to value Harris' performance in fiscal terms more than the Packers currently do. If the answer is yes and if TT is reasonably certain that Harris can continue to perform, then he has to pay him in line with what he'd fetch on the open market.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think, in that situation, a GM would have to offer a salary in line with what a player could fetch on the open market. that's going to far, but not way too far.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here was my point when I wrote this original post; Al Harris has played very well and is really one of the best corners in the league, as is Woodson. I know he has a contract and is being paid very well. I also know that if you're going to be a class act organization and you want to keep your best players, you let them know that if they produce you will adjust their salaries for a job well done. If a player knows his time will come, he may work harder to get where he wants to be.

I don't like cry babies either. Al did sign his contract and no one forced him to do it. I just think he turned out to be better than the Packers thought he would be.

The bottom line is for Thompson to sit down with him and have a face to face conversation and let him know he's happy with his work and would like to give him a raise and at the very least find some common ground and develop a relationship with your player.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts