It's time to meet the last-place Green Bay Packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a double post, but I wanted it somewhere so I could check back on it later through the season as well as offer it to those who haven't seen it.

Adam Schein said:
Chew on that for a minute.

The last-place Green Bay Packers.

The Packers are not a playoff team.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that is in serious transition.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that had a horrible off-season.

The Packers won't be able to stop the run, pressure the opposing quarterback, turn the opposition's offense over, and have simply no defensive depth or margin for error.

Other than that, the defense should be OK.

The signature move made by new general manager Ted Thompson in the off-season was bringing in Jim Bates to coach this awful unit. A player or 10 might have helped. While the aggressive Bates is a heck of a coach, he's going to have to be Albert Einstein and Bill Belichick combined to have a major effect in year one on this defense.

The secondary has more holes than a piece of Wisconsin Swiss cheese. Ahmad Carroll had a very rude introduction to the NFL last year, consistently getting burned deep and committing frustrating penalties. He's had a rough preseason, and if it wasn't for the injury to Joey Thomas (not exactly a shut-down cover corner in his own right), Carroll could be on the pine. CB Al Harris needs some help from his teammates, and fast.

The safety position is an all-out disaster. Savvy veteran Darren Sharper was shown the door in the off-season, packed his bags and joined the rival Vikings. He told me last week he's already circled the Packers games on his calendar. The experienced Earl Little is smart, but very much long in the tooth. Nick Collins is trying to make the jump from Bethune-Cookman to the NFC North. Mark Roman has a bad hamstring and is, well, Mark Roman. Todd Franz has a separated shoulder and isn't going to be confused with Ronnie Lott.

While Nick Barnett is a playmaking linebacker, he can't play all three positions at once. Na'il Diggs' injury is a killer. The unit is filled with substitutes and journeymen.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila can get to the QB, but he needs some help from the inside.

The only help he'll get from the Packers' defensive tackles is in a pie-eating contest.

Cletidus Hunt has been hurt basically all preseason and has been a major disappointment since signing an inflated contract.

Grady Jackson can't keep himself on the field. He is generously listed at 345 pounds.

That's most likely because he threatened to eat a few members of the Packers' PR staff.

Jackson barely played last year because of his obese physique, had off-season knee surgery, had the nerve to complain he was underpaid, and can't practice.

The biggest part of the Packers poor off-season was letting two of Brett Favre's bodyguards go. Mike Wahle is a versatile, tough, and flat-out consistent guard in his prime. Marco Rivera's been a rock on the offensive line. They instantly improve the Panthers and Cowboys, respectively.

And to compound the problem, Thompson didn't bother to replace these great guards. He gave former New England reserve Adrian Klemm a multi-year deal. Klemm's been a one-man MASH unit in his NFL career and can't shine Wahle's shoes. Seventh-round pick William Whitticker (who?) has started at right guard in the first two preseason games. That tells you all you need to know about free-agent pickup/tomato can Matt O'Dwyer.

This can't help the running game.

Ahman Green is still a very talented back, but he puts the ball on the ground way too much and isn't happy there is no chance he's getting a big-buck contract extension from Green Bay in his contract year (not giving Green the money is a good move by Thompson).

Najeh Davenport is a bull, but battled injuries all of last year.

And the severely depleted offensive line can't help Brett Favre, who after 17 picks last year, is not the same quarterback he was while he was building his first ballot Hall of Fame career.

Those 17 interceptions don't include the four brutal ones he tossed at home in the gruesome loss to the Vikings in the playoffs last year.

I repeat

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Sorry if this is a double post, but I wanted it somewhere so I could check back on it later through the season as well as offer it to those who haven't seen it.

Adam Schein said:
Chew on that for a minute.

The last-place Green Bay Packers.

The Packers are not a playoff team.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that is in serious transition.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that had a horrible off-season.

The Packers won't be able to stop the run, pressure the opposing quarterback, turn the opposition's offense over, and have simply no defensive depth or margin for error.

Other than that, the defense should be OK.

The signature move made by new general manager Ted Thompson in the off-season was bringing in Jim Bates to coach this awful unit. A player or 10 might have helped. While the aggressive Bates is a heck of a coach, he's going to have to be Albert Einstein and Bill Belichick combined to have a major effect in year one on this defense.

The secondary has more holes than a piece of Wisconsin Swiss cheese. Ahmad Carroll had a very rude introduction to the NFL last year, consistently getting burned deep and committing frustrating penalties. He's had a rough preseason, and if it wasn't for the injury to Joey Thomas (not exactly a shut-down cover corner in his own right), Carroll could be on the pine. CB Al Harris needs some help from his teammates, and fast.

The safety position is an all-out disaster. Savvy veteran Darren Sharper was shown the door in the off-season, packed his bags and joined the rival Vikings. He told me last week he's already circled the Packers games on his calendar. The experienced Earl Little is smart, but very much long in the tooth. Nick Collins is trying to make the jump from Bethune-Cookman to the NFC North. Mark Roman has a bad hamstring and is, well, Mark Roman. Todd Franz has a separated shoulder and isn't going to be confused with Ronnie Lott.

While Nick Barnett is a playmaking linebacker, he can't play all three positions at once. Na'il Diggs' injury is a killer. The unit is filled with substitutes and journeymen.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila can get to the QB, but he needs some help from the inside.

The only help he'll get from the Packers' defensive tackles is in a pie-eating contest.

Cletidus Hunt has been hurt basically all preseason and has been a major disappointment since signing an inflated contract.

Grady Jackson can't keep himself on the field. He is generously listed at 345 pounds.

That's most likely because he threatened to eat a few members of the Packers' PR staff.

Jackson barely played last year because of his obese physique, had off-season knee surgery, had the nerve to complain he was underpaid, and can't practice.

The biggest part of the Packers poor off-season was letting two of Brett Favre's bodyguards go. Mike Wahle is a versatile, tough, and flat-out consistent guard in his prime. Marco Rivera's been a rock on the offensive line. They instantly improve the Panthers and Cowboys, respectively.

And to compound the problem, Thompson didn't bother to replace these great guards. He gave former New England reserve Adrian Klemm a multi-year deal. Klemm's been a one-man MASH unit in his NFL career and can't shine Wahle's shoes. Seventh-round pick William Whitticker (who?) has started at right guard in the first two preseason games. That tells you all you need to know about free-agent pickup/tomato can Matt O'Dwyer.

This can't help the running game.

Ahman Green is still a very talented back, but he puts the ball on the ground way too much and isn't happy there is no chance he's getting a big-buck contract extension from Green Bay in his contract year (not giving Green the money is a good move by Thompson).

Najeh Davenport is a bull, but battled injuries all of last year.

And the severely depleted offensive line can't help Brett Favre, who after 17 picks last year, is not the same quarterback he was while he was building his first ballot Hall of Fame career.

Those 17 interceptions don't include the four brutal ones he tossed at home in the gruesome loss to the Vikings in the playoffs last year.

I repeat

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad and the Bears?????????????

Think about that for a while Slick!

Get back to me when you realize what is going on in Chicago since before your post of 9/4.

LOL

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
what is your problem?
Let's first discuss yours because its blatantly obvious you have one. I will attempt to clear up what I feel YOUR problem is. The purpose of this being posted is and was to see if this guy was and is accurate which I strongly feel he is wrong and I want to be able to reflect back on this when that is proven.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packman4Favre said:
Chad and the Bears?????????????

Think about that for a while Slick!

Get back to me when you realize what is going on in Chicago since before your post of 9/4.

LOL

'sigh'

what is wrong with you people today?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts