It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know that they haven't. I expect that what we hear or read is about 5% of what actually transpires. In this example, I chose Miami as they're a divisional rival to the Jets - further nailing in the coffin for their GM if they can't get a deal done. One may say well, they can pivot to Lamar or Tannehill, but both are a step backward and I doubt either allows them to fully compete with the likes of the Bills or Fins.
What was a completely non-competitive division for many years is now formidable. And you can never discard New England so long as BB is their coach.

D

Deleted member 6794

That just might be. However my argument would be this. We backed off #13 and already lost a 3rd Rounder being nice. How much more do the Jets want us to back up?

The trade hasn't been finalized so we don't have any idea what compensation the Packers truly lost out on. It wasn't smart Murphy stated the Packers don't want Rodgers back or Gutekunst saying that don't necessarily need a first round pick in return though.

Wait till the week of the draft, mention to the media that we've got an option on the table and that we're listening to offers now from other teams just innocently doing due diligence - next day float out that Rodgers is open to a trade to Miami (as I am sure he would be) and then watch the Jets cough up 13 and a player.
(How I would raise Rodgers trade value.)

The Jets would be aware the Packers are bluffing as long as there isn't another team truly interested in trading for Rodgers. At this point there doesn't seem to be another one. That might change if the deal isn't completed until after the draft though.

We don't know that they haven't. I expect that what we hear or read is about 5% of what actually transpires. In this example, I chose Miami as they're a divisional rival to the Jets - further nailing in the coffin for their GM if they can't get a deal done. One may say well, they can pivot to Lamar or Tannehill, but both are a step backward and I doubt either allows them to fully compete with the likes of the Bills or Fins.

The Dolphins exercised the fifth year option on Tagovailoa. They aren't in the market for Rodgers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the Jets are only willing to give a 2nd and 5th or something similar. The Packers should shop Rodgers on draft day or the day before, and Gute should keep in mind that it needs to be a team that is good and that Rodgers would likely play for. Putting Rodgers in those discussions would be counterproductive imho. I guess that in the not very likely circumstance that Rodgers retires; we would have to compensate that team in the next year's draft based on some scale. It would hurt because the scale would take into consideration one year later. But we would be out of the contract and save money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the Jets are only willing to give a 2nd and 5th or something similar. The Packers should shop Rodgers on draft day or the day before, and Gute should keep in mind that it needs to be a team that is good and that Rodgers would likely play for. Putting Rodgers in those discussions would be counterproductive imho. I guess that in the not very likely circumstance that Rodgers retires; we would have to compensate that team in the next year's draft based on some scale. It would hurt because the scale would take into consideration one year later. But we would be out of the contract and save money.

Rodgers wants to play for Jets. If he doesn’t get that he could just retire or worse force himself to be cut. Neither option saves us anything.

Reaction score
Except everyone will know it's a lie. Because if Miami was going to have interest they would have showed it by now.
We don’t know that they haven’t either. I don’t think Miami is interested personally. I just don’t think it’s wise to try to create a situation that leads to animosity. I’m not worried the least bit about no one wanting Rodgers in the future as I think he’d have several suitors as soon as next season or possibly even later this season.

Reaction score
Crafty. I likey. We’re holding the Right Bauer (Rodgers under contract /trade Value and the Ace (retirement) and a couple low trump cards in a game of NFL Euchre. Our competition has the Left Bauer and King (the Jets backing out and us eating Rodgers contract and Aaron not complying or being confrontational)
Although Rodgers being highly confrontational would get trumped by many factors and including hurting himself. I don’t see him hurting himself he’s not a dummy. As much as he postures, underneath he’s a decent guy just trying to find his happiness like the rest of us.

I still think we can win this hand with our cards as long as we lay them correctly. I definitely wouldn’t fold (take a single 2nd Rounder) let’s play this hand and we’ll have the most “tricks/picks” when the hand is over :tup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The trade hasn't been finalized so we don't have any idea what compensation the Packers truly lost out on. It wasn't smart Murphy stated the Packers don't want Rodgers back or Gutekunst saying that don't necessarily need a first round pick in return though.
I don’t see what difference that makes? You could argue that this was a measure taken to let the Jets know we’re not going to be unreasonable.
As an analogy, when we allow some fishing line slack does that mean we’ve lost our fish or given that fish the “upper hand”? Not to an experienced Fisherman holding the pole and partner with a ready net.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No one is trading for Rodgers on draft day at the last minute. It's either something worked out ahead of time (like was being attempted with the Jets) or not at all. There's the question of whether Rodgers would play for the new team, and any new team would have to rework his contract to make the dollars fit. That stuff takes time. This isn't like some player on a rookie contract with no power in the equation and a salary that would fit under any salary cap without restructuring.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Dolphins exercised the fifth year option on Tagovailoa. They aren't in the market for Rodgers.

Nah, I don't believe that for a second. Teams are expecting a deal between the Jets and Packers so we're not hearing about outside interest. But if Gutey isn't liking the deal on the table, you best believe he's called the likes of Miami, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, etc. to see what they can pony up. Any team can get creative with their cap, or push their current starter into a backup role for a one to two-year SuperBowl window.

Reaction score
The Jets are not the only team interested in Rodgers. They are the first team that Rodgers is agreeable to playing for. They are ideal because they are AFC and we don’t play them in 2023.

If this deal fell through? (I’m not suggesting it will) There will be very likely interest by another team between now and trade deadline. If he didn’t retire beforehand, Aaron would still be arguably the hottest commodity #1 FA QB legit option in 2023-2024

If the Jets don’t grab him, it’s very possible he’ll be playing against the Jets in their Conference as a primary opponent. NY better pray he doesn’t land in their Division. It would be worse than Brady coming to the NFC North in 2020.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
March 2nd
Kurt Benkert (friend and former teammate of Aaron Rodgers) has an interesting opinion on where #12 will play next: "Aaron is going to end up either a New York Jet or a Miami Dolphin. If I had to REALLY guess, I’d say the Dolphins. They have the roster to win a Super Bowl

Reaction score
This next part is a guess, but I see Aaron playing 2yrs minimum as long as the acquiring team makes the playoffs. I can see a scenario where he plays 3-4 seasons if he’s having success

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This next part is a guess, but I see Aaron playing 2yrs minimum as long as the acquiring team makes the playoffs. I can see a scenario where he plays 3-4 seasons if he’s having success
Now if he misses like the Jets did at the end of 2008 will he jump ship or retire.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
At this point, yes. I highly doubt it had any impact on Rodgers' decision to return for next season though.
Me neither because I never bought in to the notion that Rodgers was going to retire to begin with. But at the end of the day, I couldn’t see Rodgers retiring the same year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Jets don’t grab him, it’s very possible he’ll be playing against the Jets in their Conference as a primary opponent. NY better pray he doesn’t land in their Division. It would be worse than Brady coming to the NFC North in 2020.
Wouldn't it be wild if Rodgers went to the Patriots (just speaking hypothetically)? We'd finally get to see the Rodgers/Belichick pairing everyone always theorized about. I kind of doubt that Rodgers would put up with Belichick though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be wild if Rodgers went to the Patriots (just speaking hypothetically)? We'd finally get to see the Rodgers/Belichick pairing everyone always theorized about. I kind of doubt that Rodgers would put up with Belichick though.

I don't think Rodgers would be into the ''do your job'' part of being a Patriot. He'd have hard coaching and would probably tune out there. Though that may be a fan's dream to see, in reality, I think it's oil and vinegar.

Reaction score
I think you need to prepare yourself for the reality that the Packers are not getting two picks in 2023. At least not in the first 2 rounds. They aren't getting #13, and they aren't getting both #42 and #43.

In my estimation they will get a 2nd in 2023 and something else in 2024--what that is in 2024 is what the stalemate is about.
If that’s true. The Packers lose 1 Round for waiting. Then they likely lose close to another 1/2 Rounds (on each future selection) due to estimated draft order next season. Then if NY asks for conditions on top of that? We’re really getting snookered
I’d take a 42 and 74 and kiss that conditional future shell selection away

Last edited:
Reaction score
Idk. However anything is livable for a couple of seasons. I don’t know if Rodgers would jeopardize his relationship with Brady doing that any more than Tom would join the Jets. It would be like sleeping with your friends X

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what Rodgers would gain going to the Patriots. He wouldn't accomplish anything there that Brady and Belichick didn't already accomplish. He could be the guy to bring the first SB to the Jets in 55 years though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that’s true. The Packers lose 1 Round for waiting. Then they likely lose close to another 1/2 Rounds (on each future selection) due to estimated draft order next season. Then if NY asks for conditions on top of that? We’re really getting snookered
I’d take a 42 and 74 and kiss that conditional future shell selection away
Either way it is not good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think if the Jets are only willing to give a 2nd and 5th or something similar. The Packers should shop Rodgers on draft day or the day before, and Gute should keep in mind that it needs to be a team that is good and that Rodgers would likely play for. Putting Rodgers in those discussions would be counterproductive imho.

There won't be any team trading for Rodgers without making sure he would play for them next season.

Crafty. I likey. We’re holding the Right Bauer (Rodgers under contract /trade Value and the Ace (retirement) and a couple low trump cards in a game of NFL Euchre.

The Packers definitely don't benefit from Rodgers retiring.

I don’t see what difference that makes? You could argue that this was a measure taken to let the Jets know we’re not going to be unreasonable.

It was definitely not smart for Murphy to let everyone know the Packers don't want Rodgers back. That all but eliminates to walk away from negotiations threatening the other team to just hold on to him for another season.

Nah, I don't believe that for a second. Teams are expecting a deal between the Jets and Packers so we're not hearing about outside interest. But if Gutey isn't liking the deal on the table, you best believe he's called the likes of Miami, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, etc. to see what they can pony up. Any team can get creative with their cap, or push their current starter into a backup role for a one to two-year SuperBowl window.

It's possible Gutekunst has contacted other teams about their interest in Rodgers. But with the Dolphins having exercised the fifth year option on Tagovailoa there made it pretty clear they're not in the market for him.

Reaction score
The Packers definitely don't benefit from Rodgers retiring.
I agree. You’re assuming against a best scenario of trading. However what I meant was compared to Rodgers not getting traded and sitting around moping in the media and eventually getting a full paycheck now and extending us being a Cap hostage.
I can live with not getting the Jets 3rd rounder or whatever similar insanity they are trying to propel. I’d be discouraged if he’s on the books past this season though. Thus, retirement is at least a clean break from team distraction. I’m interested more in getting our team mentality back, even if it causes us to lose a 3rd Rounder

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, I was thinking exactly the opposite. I cannot imagine Belichick wanting to have anything whatsoever to do with Aaron Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I was thinking exactly the opposite. I cannot imagine Belichick wanting to have anything whatsoever to do with Aaron Rodgers.
That too.
Maybe it would have worked out if Rodgers had gone there early in his career.

Members online

Latest posts