It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Tom Peliserro tweeted we aren’t looking for multiple 1s for what his “insider” info is worth.
Sounds like the hold up is whether or not the Jets first rounder THIS year will be involved. Obviously if you’re the Jets, you’d prefer to keep that pick to surround Rodgers with as much talent as possible given that you aren’t sure whether or not Rodgers will play for more than just a season.

And then from the Packers perspective, they have to figure that this years pick would obviously be the best compensation they could get from the Jets because they have to think Rodgers will have the jets picking somewhere past 13 in 2024.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading him to the AFC and getting a possible first was not cowardly. It was probably the best deal on the table for an AFC team at the time.
We got a third. It was chicken ####. You shouldn’t be afraid to face a guy you wanted to get rid of. That’s my outlook. They should have allowed Brett to pick his place, like they (imo) did with Rodgers.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know my initial thought on hearing some of his McAfee interview - saying he wants to play for the Jets but "I'm not the holdup" or whatnot - my initial thought was that it would kind of screw us. It would make sense to think that Rodgers declaring he wants to play for one specific team would minimize the leverage we had in trade negotiations.

But the more I think about it the more I think Brandt's take is the correct one.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rodgers made it clear he was leaning towards retirement. He made it sound like a return to Green Bay was very unlikely to begin with. With where we are at right now I'm absolutely confident that Rodgers would sooner walk away and retire than he would force his way back onto the Green Bay roster. I like Rodgers and I think a lot of the complaints about his ego/personality/etc are overblown but I am quite certain in saying that he is the type of guy who doesn't want to be somewhere where he isn't wanted. If he has received signals from GB that they are ready to move on, it's done. He's not going to force his way back into a situation where he is no longer first choice.

And so for the Packers it's gravy either way. He can get traded to the Jets or he can retire. We have plenty of time for that to get hashed out. For the Jets it's more pressure IMO. I've said before that fan sentiment won't be the sole deciding factor in a trade but it will certainly be some factor. And now we have it clearly stated that Rodgers wants the Jets, the Packers are good to move him, and for NY fans they're going to hear all that and come away thinking that it's as simple as now coming down to whether or not the Jets organization will pay up and get their man. He wants to play for you, now you just have to go and get him. And beyond that they are basically out of options at this point. I don't think they're seriously in on Lamar. They've already brought in Lazard; does anyone really think Lazard would be getting 11m/yr and 22m guaranteed to catch balls from Zach Wilson (or Tannehill or whoever else is left).

So for Green Bay it's pretty simple IMO. Trade Rodgers and get some compensation in return, or let him retire. Obviously they would prefer to get some sort of return but I think at the end of the day GB is more than prepared for Rodgers to simply retire and won't be terribly upset if that's the case.

For the Jets...it's either pay up and get Rodgers...or just don't have a QB, I guess.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone be professional and move on. A privilege to watch him all these years. Good luck in the future. Nobody act like a tool and everybody gets to maintain their dignity
I suppose the mood could change if the GB front office refuses to even entertain a "reasonable" trade offer, but thankfully at the moment it seems like both side are (at least publicly) keeping things fairly well-mannered. Wouldn't like to see it end in a messy fashion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I truly think GB wants two ones - BUT Jets don't want to give up that much. If I'm Gute I'd start considering throwing back at them our thirds (this year and next) to get their two ones maybe even + other stuff or players.
Not knowing if Rodgers will play next year, the Jets would be nuts to give up more than their 1st and 2nd round picks this year. I have a feeling they're not even offering their first rounder. Then what?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not knowing if Rodgers will play next year, the Jets would be nuts to give up more than their 1st and 2nd round picks this year. I have a feeling they're not even offering their first rounder. Then what?

I don't think we get their first and second this year. They will hold on to one or the other. I was mentioning getting two ones. I strongly think 2024 draft capital will be conditional style....could even see some 2025 conditionals.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so much for my theory they had general draft conditions set forth before letting them talk to Rodgers.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know my initial thought on hearing some of his McAfee interview - saying he wants to play for the Jets but "I'm not the holdup" or whatnot - my initial thought was that it would kind of screw us. It would make sense to think that Rodgers declaring he wants to play for one specific team would minimize the leverage we had in trade negotiations.

But the more I think about it the more I think Brandt's take is the correct one.

In order for the Packers to have all the leverage they have to be willing to bring AR back into the fold. Because if they don't trade AR and he doesn't retire they are stuck. But Murphy has already indicated the Packers don't want him back.

Aaron can say whatever he wants but he was NEVER going to retire and pass up $60 million. He's flaky, but he's not that flaky.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Gute telling NYJ that you can have Rodgers for 2,000 points (on the Johnson scale w/ #1 being 3,000 pts) last week. Pretty tough for them to do without including #13, but would require rounds 2,3 & 4 in '23 and '24 + a player (I'd like TE-Ruckert). Might even require a '25 pick (3rd or 4th?).

Including #13 allows NYJ to keep more of those 2-4 round picks, but I would be really happy with option 1 (IF that's what the rough parameters were or similar).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm Gute I'm clearing us of our 3rd this year and using next year's third if needed to in order to make this deal happen....third round is cursed for us anyways LOL

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So the Packers have a quarterback, the Jets really don’t have a quarterback, And Rogers said I want to play for the Jets. So who has the upper hand now?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In order for the Packers to have all the leverage they have to be willing to bring AR back into the fold. Because if they don't trade AR and he doesn't retire they are stuck. But Murphy has already indicated the Packers don't want him back.

Aaron can say whatever he wants but he was NEVER going to retire and pass up $60 million. He's flaky, but he's not that flaky.
Plus he wasn’t going to be on the podium at his HOF ceremony next to Brady’s SEVEN Super Bowl rings

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So the Packers have a quarterback, the Jets really don’t have a quarterback, And Rogers said I want to play for the Jets. So who has the upper hand now?
I get the sense that the Packers are just as eager to move off of Rodgers as Rodgers is to move on.

If the Packers are truly all in on Jordan Love, how willing are they to step back and say “ok. We’re actually willing to walk away from the negotiating table and hold on to Aaron for 2023”.

They have already let the genie out of the bottle. Everyone knows they don’t want him. And despite their best attempts to bluff, they aren’t going to keep Rodgers at this point. If they did, talk about a VOLATILE situation for this season.

In my opinion, the Packers really don’t have a lot of leverage. Much better chance that the Packers cave in as opposed to the Jets.

Just my opinion for what little it’s worth.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Festivus is coming earlier each year. Aaron was already in the airing of the grievance stage. Maybe if he would have restructured his contract or lessened his demands we could have had a better receiver or two? Maybe we could have afforded to keep Adams? We'll never know. I just wish the Pack would have cut ties a year ago. I said it then, that was dumb.
IMO you lose credibility when you bring up Adams and money. GB offered him more and he still left because he wanted to leave.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Exactly.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I truly think GB wants two ones - BUT Jets don't want to give up that much. If I'm Gute I'd start considering throwing back at them our thirds (this year and next) to get their two ones maybe even + other stuff or players.
Now that would be awesome if that is the discussion.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers made it clear he was leaning towards retirement. He made it sound like a return to Green Bay was very unlikely to begin with. With where we are at right now I'm absolutely confident that Rodgers would sooner walk away and retire than he would force his way back onto the Green Bay roster. I like Rodgers and I think a lot of the complaints about his ego/personality/etc are overblown but I am quite certain in saying that he is the type of guy who doesn't want to be somewhere where he isn't wanted. If he has received signals from GB that they are ready to move on, it's done. He's not going to force his way back into a situation where he is no longer first choice.

And so for the Packers it's gravy either way. He can get traded to the Jets or he can retire. We have plenty of time for that to get hashed out. For the Jets it's more pressure IMO. I've said before that fan sentiment won't be the sole deciding factor in a trade but it will certainly be some factor. And now we have it clearly stated that Rodgers wants the Jets, the Packers are good to move him, and for NY fans they're going to hear all that and come away thinking that it's as simple as now coming down to whether or not the Jets organization will pay up and get their man. He wants to play for you, now you just have to go and get him. And beyond that they are basically out of options at this point. I don't think they're seriously in on Lamar. They've already brought in Lazard; does anyone really think Lazard would be getting 11m/yr and 22m guaranteed to catch balls from Zach Wilson (or Tannehill or whoever else is left).

So for Green Bay it's pretty simple IMO. Trade Rodgers and get some compensation in return, or let him retire. Obviously they would prefer to get some sort of return but I think at the end of the day GB is more than prepared for Rodgers to simply retire and won't be terribly upset if that's the case.

For the Jets...it's either pay up and get Rodgers...or just don't have a QB, I guess.
My sentiments exactly!! Hopefully the Packers are playing chess and not checkers.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Gute telling NYJ that you can have Rodgers for 2,000 points (on the Johnson scale w/ #1 being 3,000 pts) last week. Pretty tough for them to do without including #13, but would require rounds 2,3 & 4 in '23 and '24 + a player (I'd like TE-Ruckert). Might even require a '25 pick (3rd or 4th?).

Including #13 allows NYJ to keep more of those 2-4 round picks, but I would be really happy with option 1 (IF that's what the rough parameters were or similar).

Gutey as Spaulding:

Reaction score
I’m completely ok with the Jets keeping their #13 to build around Rodgers. However I’d fully expect to be compensated this year and next for losing that compensation and waiting.
My bottom is a #13 equivalent with no conditions. I’m really thinking a #13 and a 3rd this season or 2nd next is pretty adequate.
He’s probably ideally worth those two Day 1’s in a perfect world. But I wouldn’t get too stubborn. #13 overall type credit at minimum and paid between 2023-2024 and I’d be shaking some hands.

Anything not including a #43 this season ++ though is enough to yank the deal imo. Be prepared to force his retirement Im ok with that over getting 3rd rounder or Day 3 types that’s just pathetic if that’s what’s being offered.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts