It's NOT about the play-calling

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After another loss, I'm sure we'll get the usual posts about bad play-calling. Maybe Tom Rossley was sending plays to Sherman from the hospital via ham radio or something. We'll hear the usual contradictory criticisms, like how the offense was "too conservative" and "gave up on the run too early." (Hey, at least pick one or the other.)

But I really believe that play-calling has little or nothing to do with the Packers' problems this season. They've had to pass more than usual because they've been playing from behind and the run has been ineffective anyway. Today the game was close and they stuck to the run all day, with poor results. Turnovers and overall poor execution are what is hurting this offense. Either the offense lacks discipline or worse yet, they just don't have the talent to get it done anymore. I hope it's the former, because at least that problem could possibly be fixed.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
After another loss, I'm sure we'll get the usual posts about bad play-calling. Maybe Tom Rossley was sending plays to Sherman from the hospital via ham radio or something. We'll hear the usual contradictory criticisms, like how the offense was "too conservative" and "gave up on the run too early." (Hey, at least pick one or the other.)

If Ahman looked as poor as I've heard I'd wanna give up the run too

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman does not look bad, in my opinion. He just doesn't have enough room to run. He's never been one of those guys who can make a bunch of great moves and turn nothing into something. He needs a good seam to get started, so he can get up to speed, break a tackle, and then turn on the jets. He just hasn't had those opportunities this season.

Now Davenport, on the other hand, has looked terrible, whether he's playing running back or returning kickoffs. Just a couple years ago he was a high-speed battering ram on kick returns. This year he goes down on first contact. Drew Rosenhaus is going to have a heck of a time getting a big contract for this guy unless he steps it up. I still think his decision to lose weight in the off-season has hurt his game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, right off - I would say you don't have a solid boundary of what you think should be going on... Either Ahman Green is capable or he isn't and as far as Najeh Davenport is concerned - it wasn't exactly like they put him into the game when it suited Najeh's stats, now was it....?

I don't know you - but from what I just read - you didn't see the same game that myself and our Club just watched... that much is clear...

Giving the coaching Staff a FREE PASS is the last thing "any" Packer Fan would be doing at this point.... You need to step back and review what you think you saw....

And NO --- I'm not kidding - go find a tape or whatever... re-watch the game... You need to.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez: I'm not giving the coaching staff a free pass. I just think the problems are more with how the team is preparing, or failing to prepare, for games. The play-calling is not much different from when the offense was more successful late last season.

Davenport didn't get many carries in this game, I'll give you that. But he did carry the ball more often in the first two games, and during the preseason, and he's done NOTHING all year. The guy weighs 250 pounds. Is it asking too much for him to break a tackle once in awhile, like he used to?

I think part of Ahman Green's problem running the ball is that the sweeps aren't working, and they seldom even call them anymore. Some of Ahman's biggest runs used to come on those sweeps, with the interior linemen pulling and getting downfield. There's a reason why Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera are making boatloads of money right now, and why Adrian Klemm and William Whitticker (not to mention Matt O'Dwyer) are not. This is a big dropoff in skill level at the guard position, which has affected the entire offense, and Flanagan hasn't looked so hot this year either.

As for the part about re-watching the game, I'm fine with you disagreeing with me, but you don't have to be so condescending about it. Just tell me why I'm wrong.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually reviewing things on a short list - that we all saw and many of the brethren commented on during the game.... especially with regards to the Referees... And, I use that term loosely, ....especially over this game.... Heck, the Browns game was a teaser on how the Packers MUST play a perfect game or else.... at least, that's how the Refs behaved... and this game re-enforced it even moreso....

And yes - I saw how they mistreated the Bucs Players on 'some' plays...
So, therefore, I would think.... that Bucs fans would be on the same page.. maybe not!

Suffice it to say - that I've had a few more in the tank than I should have.. but the Refs got to me... and I "really" hope a few Bookies lost their shirts today since the Bucs DID NOT cover the spread. HA HA, is my comeback.

I'll be back to update where I think you missed a few tantalizing tidbits on this game... 'Course, it could just be my misperception.... but somehow... I was the loudest voice when it came to announcing who got what tackle throughout the game... and Others in IPB are very quick to announce when someone didn't see it as it really was... there's no special protection for myself in my Club.....either I know what's goin' on... or I don't leave myself open... Would you?

Tell me - did you think the Ref was pickin' on No. 74 / Aaron Kampman? I did! As did many others....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Prez has been kinda crabby in his posts tonight...

Thanks, RYAN - I luv you, too!

Not to worry guys... even keel as ever.... no one gets a free pass with me....

Remember it this way - if it was you that broke wind...?

Here's the deal -----
In my mind - you should be proud of that which you created and never let anyone else take credit for it - lest they get the lion's share of the profit.... least you'll scare the weaklings away, eh? :twisted: :wink:

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all good I just have been going from topic to topic reading your posts and you just seemed out of character tonight. Just sounds like you are getting fed up with the BS for sure!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right on that score --- and as far as that Buc fan is concerned... Well, let's just say - he reminds me of a few bandwagon riders we saw a few seasons ago when Chucky rode Tony Dungy's Team to the SuperBowl..... because the NFL hates Al Davis so much.... circa 2001 remind anyone of anything?

He's (so far) been trying to beat a dead horse... after what started out as a pretty good rant about football instead of twisting it into something else....

I'll respond in the A.M. on his jugular post -which did not draw blood in any fashion...

Like I said a long time ago - I'm a Packerfan Acolyte... thru & thru!
If he thinks we should ignore what his Team tried to get by with.. that's his loss.....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahman STILL hasnt touched it 20 times a game yet. Carnell Williams touched it more than 30 times. Its simple math.

Members online

Latest posts